Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2006 Tournament Archives > USOA 2006 Freedive Spearfishing National Championships

USOA 2006 Freedive Spearfishing National Championships This tournament will be held in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida on July 19, 2006

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #16
Spleen
spearwurm

Re: Seminar and Expo 2006

This sounds cool. What a great opportunity to learn from so many experienced spearos.
Spleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:21 PM   #17
Platypus
HBIC

Send a message via Skype™ to Platypus

Re: Spearfishing Seminar

I would definitley urge anyone to go to the Expo / Seminars. $65 is really cheap compared to the amount of knowledge you will walk away with, not to mention you get a catered lunch, admission into the IGFA museum and all the networking / contacts you will make. There will also be a raffle for some major items such as donated Wong Spearguns, fish prints and paintings, and other items that are being donated to the raffle by other vendors at the show. I think seating is limited to 150, and with over 100 competitors coming into town, I have no doubt it will get sold out fast... Except for the Dive Convention (which is only open to other vendors), I think this will be the only chance to get to see so many major vendors showcasing their latest things.

Having taken the PFD clinic, I can say that Kirk Krack most definitely knows what he is talking about and is a great FREEDIVING instructor.

As for Dr. Daryl Wong, he conducts spearfishing seminars at Pacific Ocean Producers here in Hawaii, usually every quarter - because if he isn't drilling, or building guns, he is out on the water spearfishing! I attended one of his seminars and among all the people who attended, the consesus was that they walked away having learned so much more than when they walked in. Everything from freediving, stalking techniques, rigging your gun, bluewater hunting, reef hunting (my favourite), gun building tips, and even trouble-shooting the attendee's hunting techniques so they can get closer to that elusive fish (eg: Mu) etc... was well worth their time, because time is all it cost us. His seminars are free. And if that isn't enough, he usually takes guests - some he has never met before except for on the phone - diving with him on HIS boat. If the weather is bad and diving is out of the question, he still makes an effort to at least meet up with guests / visitors and talk story over dinner or let them borrow one of his surfboards and go surfing.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #18
tugsus

Send a message via Yahoo to tugsus

Count me in. Knowledge and networking all under one roof, cool.

I look forward to meeting everyone from the Spearboard.
tugsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:18 AM   #19
23six
Kalea Kai

Can't wait to spend all day there!
23six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:03 PM   #20
Sheri
So Little Time

Quick update on "The Blue Wild" Spearfishing Seminar and Expo...we're having great response! We have 30 exhibitors so far, including Austin's, Scubasworld, Florida Freedivers, and Ocean Safari....all dive shops that cater to hunters. We have Jay Riffe, Ditmar Biller, Mark Laboccetta with Omer, Spetton, Armor Products, Headhunter, Freedive For Life, CaribeUSA, Zeagle, Hawaii Skin Diver, King Sailfish Mounts, Pelagic Gear, Spearfishing Magazine, Spearboard, and many more. In addition to Daryl, Kirk, and Art Pinder, we will also have Dr. Neal Pollock from DAN (Divers Alert Network) and Manny Puig (Sharkman) participating in the Expo.

We've had some great items donated towards the charity, and some will be given away, raffled and/or auctioned. Here is a partial list: AB Biller speargun, Hammerhead Muzzles, 10 signed copies of Terry Maas “Bluewater Hunter” books, 2 Carey Chen lithographs, Fins (Edge or Matrix), Omer/Manny Puig polespear, Hogfish Painting by Michael Braun, special edition Wong speargun, C4 Mustang Fins, C4 Monoscocca speargun, voucher for Yazbeck wetsuit, Sportube, 4 day Trip to Baja ($1,000 value), Fish Gyotaku by Ken Okutake, Capt Nemo Fins, voucher for Elios custom wetsuit, 6 Powerheads by Tito, 75’ blue float line, 2 Carlos Eyles signed books, Leaderfin Fins, Doc’s ProPlugs, custom made wetsuit by Spiros at Diveskin, Fish Print by Naoki, Fish Painting by artist Ron Croci, 4 subscriptions to "deep” magazine, DUI Gear bag, T-shirts from The BadTuna Company, Guy Harvey limited edition print, Guy Harvey T-shirts and products, Deep See EZ Lock titanium knives, D3 Suunto watch/computer, Aimrite railgun, Aimrite Float, Oceans In Action DVDs and T-shirts, 5 subscriptions to Spearfishing Magazine, Survival Optics Sunglasses, Blue Lizard sunscreen, signed "Spearfishing and Underwater Hunting Handbook", fish mounts, Guy Harvey button down shirt, free 2 tank dive for two on Island Magic, Pelagic Gear clothing, and more to come!

For $65, you get coffee service in the morning, lectures by first rate speakers, a high quality catered lunch, a spearfishing DVD to the first 100 ($30 value), discount coupons to Divers Direct, a raffle ticket, and entry to IGFA Museum. We are 1/2 sold out already, and we don't expect to have tickets left at the door. So, if you know that you want to attend, please don't wait until that last minute, because you may be disappointed. To those who are coming, we look forward to seeing you there!
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:10 PM   #21
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Great sponsors and prizes Sheri!

This looks to be a super event right after the Nationals.

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:56 PM   #22
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

OK Sheri, This seminar and workshop event on Thursday, July 20 (less than 50 days away) looks better and better every time I hear more. Your new list below of prizes and attendees is great! I'm going to put up one more time the link to sign up now is http://www.longfins.org/seminarexpo.html The speakers will be very interesting. I am really looking forward to it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri
Quick update on "The Blue Wild" Spearfishing Seminar and Expo...we're having great response! We have 30 exhibitors so far, including Austin's, Scubasworld, Florida Freedivers, and Ocean Safari....all dive shops that cater to hunters. We have Jay Riffe, Ditmar Biller, Mark Laboccetta with Omer, Spetton, Armor Products, Headhunter, Freedive For Life, CaribeUSA, Zeagle, and many more. In addition to Daryl, Kirk, and Art Pinder, we will also have Dr. Neal Pollock from DAN (Divers Alert Network) and Manny Puig (Sharkman) participating in the Expo.

We've had some great items donated towards the charity, and some will be given away, raffled and/or auctioned. Here is a partial list: AB Biller speargun, Hammerhead Muzzles, 10 signed copies of Terry Maas “Bluewater Hunter” books, 2 Carey Chen lithographs, Fins (Edge or Matrix), Omer/Manny Puig polespear, Hogfish Painting by Michael Braun, special edition Wong speargun, C4 Mustang Fins, C4 Monoscocca speargun, voucher for Yazbeck wetsuit, Sportube, 4 day Trip to Baja ($1,000 value), Fish Gyotaku by Ken Okutake, Capt Nemo Fins, voucher for Elios custom wetsuit, 6 Powerheads by Tito, 75’ blue float line, 2 Carlos Eyles signed books, Leaderfun Fins, Doc’s ProPlugs, custom made wetsuit by Spiros at Diveskin, Fish Print by Naoki, Fish Painting by artist Ron Croci, 4 subscriptions to "deep” magazine, DUI Gear bag, T-shirts from The BadTuna Company, Guy Harvey limited edition print, Guy Harvey T-shirts and products, Deep See EZ Lock titanium knives, D3 Suunto watch/computer, Aimrite railgun, Aimrite Float, Oceans In Action DVDs and T-shirts, 5 subscriptions to Spearfishing Magazine, Survival Optics Sunglasses, Blue Lizard sunscreen, signed "Spearfishing and Underwater Hunting Handbook", and more to come!

For $65, you get coffee service in the morning, lectures by first rate speakers, a high quality catered lunch, a spearfishing DVD to the first 100 ($30 value), discount coupons to Divers Direct, a raffle ticket, and entry to IGFA Museum. We are 1/2 sold out already, and we don't expect to have tickets left at the door. So, if you know that you want to attend, please don't wait until that last minute, because you may be disappointed. To those who are coming, we look forward to seeing you there!

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:52 PM   #23
bubblejunkie
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to bubblejunkie

I spoke with Daryl Wong today about this event I'll be there for sure, sounds like a lot of fun.
bubblejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #24
Sheri
So Little Time

Getting more "stuff" all the time! For the give-away and raffle, in the past week, I've gotten: Carbontek CT Glass blades, Marc Valentin speargun, Rabitech Stealth speargun, sling made and signed by Art Pinder, and a Yokooji speargun. Again, this is to benefit a charity, The Boca Raton Society for the Disabled, also known as Twin Palms...www.twinpalmscenter.com. I am really moved by the generosity of the spearfishing community! We might be called killers at times, but we've got warm hearts!!!

I'm about max'ed out with the vendors too, but I keep squeezing more in. I love the diversity. It's not just spearfishing equipment, but also fish mounts, marine clothing, lots of artwork, DVD's...even the FWC signed up today. They want to be able to answer spearfishing questions, but they are also thinking it might be a good place to recruit! So if you're looking for a job...

I just got the T-shirt sample today. Looks great. That's a picture of Art Pinder that appeared in a magazine in 1958. He slinged a giant cubera snapper and was looking into an underwater camera...very leading edge technology back then. I just watched a VERY old video....wow, was that interesting. Some parts would be politically incorrect today, but we will show the other parts.

The Miami Herald and Sun-Sentinel are about to publish information on this Seminar in the Outdoors section of the newspapers. Again, if you know that you want to go, please sign up beforehand because there is limited seating in the auditorium. If something comes up and you can't attend, I will refund your money. I am trying to avoid a mad rush at the door and people being left out that really want to go. To sign up...http://www.longfins.org/seminarexpo.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Blue Wild Shirtsv4.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	33057  
Old 06-15-2006, 10:13 PM   #25
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri
That's a picture of Art Pinder that appeared in a magazine in 1958. He slinged a giant cubera snapper and was looking into an underwater camera...very leading edge technology back then. To sign up...http://www.longfins.org/seminarexpo.html
Sheri, the shirt looks great! How much are they? I am looking forward to meeting the legendary Art Pinder for the first time. Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:20 AM   #26
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

It's a great looking shirt Sheri!

For those that haven't seen it up close, here's another pic she sent me with that classic Art Pinder graphic.

Looking forward to the Seminar!

Chad
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	e-THE BLUE WILD.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	33186  
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida

Last edited by Chad Carney; 06-19-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #27
Sheri
So Little Time

Tony, the shirts will be $18, a great value considering the fact that we opted for the highest quality shirts. We are able to do that thanks to our sponsors (Divers Direct, Chuck Hartz, and Hawaii Skin Diver). We'll also be giving some of these and other T-shirts away during the day, just to keep it exciting.

Sneak preview on Art Pinder! He just showed me a mask and sling he made so he can do a show-and-tell at the Expo. He made them just like they used to make them 70 years ago, when he was a young boy. He reminded me that they had no wetsuits, no weightbelts, no snorkels, and no fins. If they dove 20 feet, that was deep!

For the mask, they used to cut a round piece of glass and then made a skirt out of innertube material....and the tips of their noses were always smashed against the glass. They sharpened umbrella stays for shafts, and they used bamboo for the sling.

Look closely at the picture of him in Sports Illustrated. Years later, they still had no wetsuit, snorkel, or weights....but he did have short fins. He also started using a double strand on his sling which they hung around their neck after shooting the fish. He says he had an effective range of 20 feet.

Today, he's 76, funny as can be, and still killing fish. Many of his friends from that era will be there...really fun to listen to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2654ps2.JPG
Views:	829
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	33222  
Old 06-30-2006, 10:26 PM   #28
conspearasea
freetankdiver

I ll be there along with all of my corny jokes. It sounds like a good time. Maybe I can meet some new fish killers to dive with. I want to win one of them fancy wetsuits!
conspearasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #29
Bañados
LA FATHOMIERS

Seminar and Expo 2006

Sheri,

I am going to be missing such a great seminar and banquet, I hope to see all soon.

Erik Bañados
email:fathomier@socal.rr.com
LA FATHOMIERS
GREATER LOS ANGELES COUNCIL OF DIVING
Bañados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:03 PM   #30
diligaf

From The Sun-Sentinel-

Shoot first, talk later
Arriving for competition, Sheri Daye convinced the experts to hold a seminar.

Published July 7, 2006

With the country's best spearfishers coming to South Florida to compete in the National Freedive Spearfishing Championship on July 19, Sheri Daye had a great idea:

Why not have some of those experts talk about their sport and have some of the companies that cater to spearfishers display their wares?

As a result, The Blue Wild Spearfishing Seminar & Expo 2006 is July 20 at the IGFA Fishing Hall of Fame & Museum in Dania Beach.

Cost is $65 for the event, which runs from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. and includes a gourmet lunch, T-shirt and admission to the IGFA Museum. Cost for the Expo only, which is 2-4:30 p.m., is $20 and includes museum admission.

To register and pay online, visit www.longfins.org/seminarexpo.html. All proceeds of the event go to Twin Palms Center For The Disabled in Boca Raton, which provides social, academic and daily living skills training for developmentally challenged adults.

The speakers include the biggest names in the sport, from freediving coach and educator Kirk Krack to custom speargun builder Daryl Wong to legendary spearfisherman Art Pinder, who was once featured with his brother on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

"I've known Art and Daryl for a couple of years," said Daye, who won a national spearfishing co-ed championship with Wong in Hawaii and recently broke her own women's freediving spearfishing record with a 179-pound yellowfin tuna that she shot at Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

"They're such cool, neat people, I thought people would love to listen to what they have to say," Daye said. "Then I found out that the nationals were going to be here and that Kirk was teaching one of his freediving classes here. So when all that fell into place, I had to do it."

For those who have ever thought about getting into spearfishing, the seminar is a great place to start. And even if you decide that spearfishing is not for you, whether you freedive, scuba dive or just fish from a boat or from shore, you're bound to learn things that will make your outings more enjoyable.

As for those who are already into spearfishing, the seminar offers an unprecedented opportunity to learn from the best.

Daye said Krack, of Vancouver, British Columbia, is a master at teaching freedivers how to safely hold their breath longer and dive deeper. She knows because she attended one of his classes.

"I thought I couldn't hold my breath one minute," she said. "Thanks to Kirk, I learned to hold it four minutes."

Daye has set eight spearfishing records -- her previous biggest tuna was a 157-pounder shot in Costa Rica -- including a 40-pound permit that is a record for men and women.

Her latest record came while taping a new show for The Outdoor Channel called Speargun Hunter that starts airing in January.

Wong, a dentist from Hawaii, will talk about trends in spearfishing, including different styles of hunting and types of equipment, how to pick different spearguns for different conditions and what type of gear is suitable for beginning spearfishers. Manny Puig will give a demonstration with his Signature Pole Spear.

Pinder, who lives in Palm Bay, started spearfishing 60 years ago with his father and brothers in Miami. He will share his humorous stories of the old days, when he had to make much of his spearfishing equipment, as well as some of his spearfishing secrets.

Each speaker will talk for 30-45 minutes and there will be a question-and-answer session

Exhibitors range from scuba, freediving and spearfishing equipment manufacturers to dive magazines, marine artists and spearfishing charter operators. Exhibitors include Custom Rod and Reel, Tom Greene's fishing tackle store in Lighthouse Point; King Sailfish Mounts; Pelagic Clothing; and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Many of the exhibitors also are donating prizes that will be given out during the seminars or raffled or auctioned off during the Expo. Among the prizes are sunglasses, books, artwork, wetsuits, trips, fishing tackle and a number of spearguns, including a custom speargun made by Wong, a Hawaiian sling made and signed by Pinder, and one of Krack's intermediate freediving classes.

Steve Waters can be reached at swaters@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-4648.

Copyright © 2006, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
diligaf is offline   Reply With Quote