Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #31
Man-O-War
Lothario

Re: She's got a nice rack!

I was just gonna say it!!! Nice racks, but Rabis are a no-no lol
Man-O-War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #32
JimC

Looks proffesional from a short distance. Looks good. Might woulda been better to have removed the insert and rebuilt it with the starboard you then would have the original as a spare. But hind sites 20/20. Good job.

AmeraCat 31 XP

Protect Your Fishing Rights! Join the FRA TODAY!!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:57 PM   #33
23six
Kalea Kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa
I'm impressed with the quality and design for a dude who self-admittedly isn't
a mechanical kind of guy.......... it looks excellent for even expert work...

--I'd advise to do this though: go out and buy that section (that you cut)
as a replacement now, while it's readily available and easy to get while you can.

The next guy who buys your boat might not think too highly of the mod, and
you could loose a potential sale because of it.......... You'll have a "spare"

--Sherpa ................... just is case, doncha know....
I'm all over that, in fact I have already inquired about that exactly. I was originally going to do as JimC recommended and remove the stock piece first. I was then going to make a mold of the piece (not me personally, I have a good friend who does that for a living) and make a duplicate piece from the mold to cut up and destroy as necessary. However, when I started to work on getting the original removed I found that it was not only screwed in place and caulked but also the entire area was covered in 3M 5200 to better form a bond between the actual cap and the gunnel cover. I quickly realized that if I tried to remove the original that I would likely destroy a good part of it and that it will be better to just order up a set of spares from the factory. I can only guess what they are going to rob me for to get those...they don't exactly offer those as spares. I'm in good with my dealer so I will hope that they can get the best possible price for me. On another note, one of the things I plan to tidy up on the port side is replacing the bolster cushion for the exposed area of the gunnel that used to be covered by the cushion. I was thinking I would use the existing cushion and modify it, but that may or may not be the best choice. Then again, if I have to replace it a year from now (or later) the pieces I have sitting in my garage will probably be a different shade of white by that time. I may just have to replace the vinyl altogether.

I wouldn't say I'm not mechanically inclined, but that I've never done any sort of wood working or things like this. I can build a mean, sturdy fire station with my son and his legos.
23six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #34
23six
Kalea Kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell
I was just gonna say it!!! Nice racks, but Rabis are a no-no lol
All guns are welcome on my boat (even reel guns if you are safety aware). And yes, I will have to get some new guns to add to the collection. I don't need to fill it up by myself, but I figure Patrick is going to bring 7 or 8 guns by himself, so there will still be room for me and 2 other spearos to bring a couple too.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #35
GRIM REEFER

Looks geat!
I dont think I would have the balls to cut into my boat like that
Old 04-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #36
Mobile Diver

Excellent work!!
305 849 0866
Mobile Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #37
Uno Breath

That is an amazing job. I want to do something like that on my boat, just smaller scale.
Uno Breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #38
23six
Kalea Kai

Thank you to everyone who have made comments, I think overall the project has been accepted as a success. Anyone who has been on my boat in the past knows exactly the dilemna of all the guns on the deck. Sorry to all you guys with holes in your feet. You paid your dues.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #39
Corpsman

Great job!
Corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #40
23six
Kalea Kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh
Kick ass less....now you have the tools and some learned skills to build guns!
Thanks bro, I'll leave that sort of thing to you and other gun makers I think. But who knows, maybe some day I'll give it a try. I don't want to spend that kind of time making a gun that somebody else already can do better than me at a fair and reasonable price for the hours of labor involved (regardless of the materials). As for the rack on my boat, I don't think I could have paid somebody to do it for me the way I wanted it done - without spending a fortune. All the while knowing I could have done it myself. That's why I did it myself.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #41
Eytan
FreediverSBlocal

Nice rack!
Eytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #42
Spearchucker

Well, it looks good, but....

I have owned something around 15 boats in my life(from age 16 to 38), and IMHO, you have seriously damaged your resale value.

That is just my opinion.
Spearchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #43
23six
Kalea Kai

I care more about my boats usefulness than it's resale value. I figure if it makes me happy, is functional and still safe then it meets my needs. I don't own my boat for the next person who pays for it, I own it for my purposes. If the next owner, if there ever is one, is not into spearfishing (or spearfishing racks) I can put it back to stock a lot easier than it took to build the racks I wanted. That being said, you are not wrong. I am in the business of buying, selling and financing boats. I just don't care about the possible sale, who knows when if ever down the road - at least not nearly as much as how much I care about how I do enjoy it while I've got it.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #44
AquaHunter
Ray Ayus, Jr.

Very Impressive! Look like you got yourself a company to make racks for others! Was thinking of something like that for my future boat!

Mercruiser, Evinrude, Crusader, Johnson, Volvo Penta, Mercury, OMC, Mariner, Force, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Nissan, Tohatsu, Yanmar, PWC, and Jet drive are my specialty. For mobile service, e-mail me at RayAyusJr@yahoo.com or text me at 619-756-0972

Speardeals
AquaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #45
LakeHunter

GREAT work-i seriously doubt i could ever do something like that. I know i'd pull some dumbass move and mess it all up.

looks fantastic!
LakeHunter is offline   Reply With Quote