Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
CuzzA

Project Boat Discussion: Tips, Ideas, Mistakes...

I have decided I am going to buy an old hull and bring it back to life. I'll start by just throwing it out there that if any of you know of a fiberglass hull in the 24-26 foot range with a 9-10 ft beam and deep vee, for cheap sitting in a yard somewhere, let me know.

With that out of the way I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do and fortunately have some guidance from people who have done this before and know what they are doing, but I'd love to hear about your project dive boat.

Pics would make this thread a lot better!

Let's hear tips, techniques, nightmare stories, successes, whatever. Hell, even a discussion about what your dream "project" dive boat would be.

It's winter, the Gulf is cold, Gags are closing soon, there's no reason this thread shouldn't produce a decent response.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
grey2112

Re: Project Boat Discussion: Tips, Ideas, Mistakes...

The website "The Hull Truth" is an excellent place for great advice and "build" threads as well.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
The website "The Hull Truth" is an excellent place for great advice and "build" threads as well.
No doubt. I'm a member over there. Same handle. Though I'm more of a lurker.

I think I may have found a hull. Just working out the logistics.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
Diverjimc

So what hull do you think you found?
Have you considered a cat hull.?
I think you are right, considering the weather and the restrictions now would be a good time to start a project.
Diverjimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #5
OBLIGATED

I have only bought one power boat new. A 2007 DLV 21 Carolina Skiff package.All the others were used and needed some sort of repairs.Crazy as it sounds I havent lost money on any boat I bought because of sweat(lots of sweat)equity and buying the right boat.
There are times I bite too much off and I have to step back,relax a little and take smaller bites.I have three power boats now.Two are water ready and the cat just needs the teleflex installed and its ready.It has a large soft spot in the front deck but nothing from stopping me from fishing off it.This spring I will sell them and probably buy another sailboat.I never seem to learn
Jump into what you are capable or willing to learn to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wetfinger.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	236262  
Old 12-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
ARK

I have replaced cockpit on my Grady, learned a ton of stuff... The cheapest way is not a way to go, since usually you have to do it twice... my idea was to avoid wood altogether, after repairs I paid for failed few years later. My best advice to you is use divinylcell foam for structure. It's not cheap but it's the only light structural material polyester sticks to without delaminating. Coosa board is stiffer but way more expensive.
ARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #7
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
I have only bought one power boat new. A 2007 DLV 21 Carolina Skiff package.All the others were used and needed some sort of repairs.Crazy as it sounds I havent lost money on any boat I bought because of sweat(lots of sweat)equity and buying the right boat.
There are times I bite too much off and I have to step back,relax a little and take smaller bites.I have three power boats now.Two are water ready and the cat just needs the teleflex installed and its ready.It has a large soft spot in the front deck but nothing from stopping me from fishing off it.This spring I will sell them and probably buy another sailboat.I never seem to learn
Jump into what you are capable or willing to learn to do.
DUDE! That attachment had me and my wife laughing for 5 minutes! ROFL
Old 12-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverjimc View Post
So what hull do you think you found?
Have you considered a cat hull.?
I think you are right, considering the weather and the restrictions now would be a good time to start a project.
I did consider a cat, but was schooled a little bit about cats as dive boats, especially at a trailer-able size. You put a lot of weight on one and she's going to slap and pound.

I want to have the ability to pretty much handle anything reasonable with a lot of weight and still cruise without breaking my back. So I am sticking with a deep vee monohull.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARK View Post
I have replaced cockpit on my Grady, learned a ton of stuff... The cheapest way is not a way to go, since usually you have to do it twice... my idea was to avoid wood altogether, after repairs I paid for failed few years later. My best advice to you is use divinylcell foam for structure. It's not cheap but it's the only light structural material polyester sticks to without delaminating. Coosa board is stiffer but way more expensive.
No doubt. I'm not going to put any wood in the boat.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
CuzzA

Quote:
Old 12-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #11
OBLIGATED

Quote:
It sounds funny unless your anchored in Ceasar creek and the craptastic patch the previous owner did breaks loose21 ft Viking deckboat.
Then there was a 17 ft Warrencraft that a previous owner(who was onboard when it cracked)did a patch with BONDOand it comes loose off Ft Lauderdale fishing off the Mercedes.
Also had a hypalon Floating Motomar that a patch the previous owner didnt prep right on the starboard tube.Patch fell off while diving in Marathon.Fortunately the boat had several air chambers and I had a patch kit with me.Wife wasnt amused but we limited on lobster and then went to shore to correctly patch the tube.
I had a OLD Starcraft 14 ft aluminum boat that leaked really bad.We were spearing through Old Rhoades cut when Marine Patrol pulled up to check us out.Boat had about 4" of water in itWe would pull the plug when we did a new drift to empty the boat.
Brother in law had an old tri-hull named Rodney(got no respect)He developed a bad crack diving off Elliot key so he ran up on a flat and stuffed plastic ice bags and towels in the crack and finished the day spearing.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #12
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
It sounds funny unless your anchored in Ceasar creek and the craptastic patch the previous owner did breaks loose21 ft Viking deckboat.
Then there was a 17 ft Warrencraft that a previous owner(who was onboard when it cracked)did a patch with BONDOand it comes loose off Ft Lauderdale fishing off the Mercedes.
Also had a hypalon Floating Motomar that a patch the previous owner didnt prep right on the starboard tube.Patch fell off while diving in Marathon.Fortunately the boat had several air chambers and I had a patch kit with me.Wife wasnt amused but we limited on lobster and then went to shore to correctly patch the tube.
I had a OLD Starcraft 14 ft aluminum boat that leaked really bad.We were spearing through Old Rhoades cut when Marine Patrol pulled up to check us out.Boat had about 4" of water in itWe would pull the plug when we did a new drift to empty the boat.
Brother in law had an old tri-hull named Rodney(got no respect)He developed a bad crack diving off Elliot key so he ran up on a flat and stuffed plastic ice bags and towels in the crack and finished the day spearing.
I take it you don't go to Vegas or play the lottery?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #13
GatorNative

Looking forward to more on this thread. Been floggin’ a Wellcraft Nova 250 for years. Twin Ford Mercruisers and a little wood. But, that deep V really makes for a smooth ride.
GatorNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #14
nizutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
I have decided I am going to buy an old hull and bring it back to life. I'll start by just throwing it out there that if any of you know of a fiberglass hull in the 24-26 foot range with a 9-10 ft beam and deep vee, for cheap sitting in a yard somewhere, let me know.

With that out of the way I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do and fortunately have some guidance from people who have done this before and know what they are doing, but I'd love to hear about your project dive boat.

Pics would make this thread a lot better!

Let's hear tips, techniques, nightmare stories, successes, whatever. Hell, even a discussion about what your dream "project" dive boat would be.

It's winter, the Gulf is cold, Gags are closing soon, there's no reason this thread shouldn't produce a decent response.
I'm cruising around in an older mako 25. It rides pretty nice for an older boat. Luckily I havent had to rebuild the boat. Just put new electronics on it and some other cosmetics. Wouldn't mind painting it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
nizutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #15
OWS

Had a 77 Mako, one bad ass machine. Hull over 1" thick, kept 20 tanks on it, could carry another 10 if needed. Cruised at 30mph, 20mph in 3-5's, 1.5mpg, regularly 100 miles offshore. Wore out 3 sets of v4 omc's. Boat could take more punishment than I could. Lot of respect for those old hulls, would need a new transom and fuel tanks at this point, Good Luck, be prepared for the full make over, money & labor. The old Mako's were wet but rode great, deeper v and 600lbs more glass. Many very fond memories.
OWS is offline   Reply With Quote