Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Off-Topic

California Off-Topic Remember that politics/religion and general off-topic belong in Special Forums.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:36 AM   #1
Ron S

Anybody kite surf?

Always thought one of those dual string parafoil kites would be fun on the kayak or on my snow skis. Started looking at some stuff online and it's quite involved. Also can be very expensive.

Just wondering if anyone here does this kind of stuff and might have some suggestions as to an entry level kite, etc.

Thanks,
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #2
nilsonov

Re: Anybody kite surf?

Only when the vis is bad!

Not too expensive if you buy on the used marketplace. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty quick and simple to set up and get going, you just need steady wind. If you don't know anyone who already kites, take lessons - worth it.
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
Ron S

What I'm looking to do is actually just use a power kite to pull me around on a kayak and on my snow skis. Nothing big or fast, just cruise around. We get some pretty good winds up here in Truckee, so the local lakes would be good for the yak, and there are some flats I've come across while back country skiing that would work well.

Last week my sons and I went to the coast to go spearing. Got in the water on Friday, but Thursday the wind was really strong. I keep a couple little toy stunt kites in my truck, so we went to the beach for some fun. Got me to thinking, which is never a good thing...

Looking online, the HQ Hydra trainer kite looks like what I had in mind, but I'm just starting to research this stuff and it looks very complicated.

Ron.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
phil herranen

Trainer is the way to go , a full size kite is way too much power . Kite surfing is by far the most abusive sport I have ever tryed

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
Trainer is the way to go , a full size kite is way too much power . Kite surfing is by far the most abusive sport I have ever tryed
I used to do a bit of windsurfing, but that was many years ago. That kicked my butt pretty good until I got the hang of it.

Is there much of a market for used kites? I'd think trainers would be easy to find used...
Old 02-28-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
I used to do a bit of windsurfing, but that was many years ago. That kicked my butt pretty good until I got the hang of it.

Is there much of a market for used kites? I'd think trainers would be easy to find used...
I got my whole setup for around 400 or 500 (minus the board )

Think of windsurfing but will 1000# of pull yanking you up and then droping you then repeat over and over .

You will also need some kind of rudder and skeg setup for the yak

Old 02-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #7
stevencabo
tercermundista

Send a message via Yahoo to stevencabo

Quote:
I
I've watched my brother learn to kite surf and his experience with used kites is they pop or fail quicker. Have your repair kit ready!
stevencabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
Ron S

Just from searching the net, it appears that the HQ Hydra 350 might be what I'm looking for. As to boats, I have a couple yaks (sit in's), that have rudders. A sit on top with a rudder would be ideal, but none of mine have rudders.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
phil herranen

Quote:
Just from searching the net, it appears that the HQ Hydra 350 might be what I'm looking for. As to boats, I have a couple yaks (sit in's), that have rudders. A sit on top with a rudder would be ideal, but none of mine have rudders.
I think you will need a center skeg too you you plan on doing anything upwind , and I don't think a kite will work down wind , if the yack speeds up enuff the kite will fall ,maybe Hanging your legs over the side for drag would let you do it ,but you will dip the kite alot

Old 02-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #10
Ron S

Hmm, maybe for the kayak, this is more what I need: http://www.outdoorplay.com/Adventure...7&category=121
Old 02-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #11
phil herranen

Yes ,that's a down winder , I've seen people make twin plywood skegs that hang over the sides of the yak ,and then can pivot up when not in use . This was for yaks that were home made rigged for sailing

Old 02-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #12
phil herranen

Like this but then use a trainer kite

https://m.bonanza.com/listings/seren...FUtNfgodiaADjw

Old 02-28-2017, 10:09 PM   #13
Ron S

That's kinda cool. I dunno, I keep looking at trainer kites. Mostly because I could use it on skis or even a boogie board out at the lake. I just can't figure out how small a trainer I could get away with.

I just got off the phone with one of my nephews. He's in his late 40's now and has lived in Hawaii his whole life. I turns out he was involved in kite surfing at it's start more or less. Said all of his friends who were hardcore have sustained major injuries, mostly because of the design of the older kites. I told him what I was looking to do and he got quite a chuckle. Then again, he's seen me ski, so he knows how badly it could go...
Old 03-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #14
dr.ed

IMHO you will want a kite that will water relaunch for kayak; mostly that is a LEI kite. For snow I think a foil is better. Many use LEI on snow but getting enough pressure for me is a problem; also kite crashes on hard surface is more likely to pop the LEI bladder.

I have a small quiver: 2.5m, 4m, 7m foils (1m trainer); 3m, 6m; 10m, 12m, & 13m LEI. (The 13m is for sale; C kite 5 line with bar; almost new, flown less than 6 times $500 or BO. VERY Powerful. Scares the shit out of me. I'm 170lbs; if 200lbs better choice.)

My suggestion; get a 2-4m foil 4line power/trainer kite; and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. GET VERY comfortable controlling kite Before trying to travel on land or water.

My 2.5 foil (Flexifiol Bullet no no longer produced) is a Lot of FUN; in gusts has picked me off the ground.

Get lessons if possible; having kite skills with a small (2-4m) four line before lesson will maximize benefits of lesson!

Also, check our "kitemares" and crash and burn videos to see what can go wrong. There are a lot of ways one can get killed, maimed, and hurt with a kite.

Be Safe; Have fun!
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #15
Ron S

dr.ed,
Sound like you have a lot of experience! Also a lot of kites!

After doing some online research, I've toned down my plans quite a bit. I don't think I have a kayak that's suitable to what I wanted to do, so that's out. Eliminates the need for a water launchable kite.

Now I'm thinking of a small trainer, like the HQ Rush ProV 3 or probably 3.5. Spending a lot of time learning to fly is where the fun comes in. I get a real kick flying my cheap little 24" stunt kite when the wind is kicking up. I figure even a "small" trainer is gonna be whole new level.

Probably the only real pulling I'll try to do with a kite will be on my snow skis, but I was thinking that while I'm learning, and in ideal conditions, (wind blown, iced over snow, and strong wind), I might try one of our old plastic sleds from when my kids were little. Probably look silly, but at least it won't be one of those, "here hold me beer and watch this", moments.

As to lessons, I found out there's a kite skiing outfit at Sugarbowl ski area, 20 minutes from my house. Can't beat that!

Oh and to the "kitemare" videos. Not gonna watch those! Gotta go into this with at least some blissful ignorance!