Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Ocean Kayak Malibu Two for Spearfishing?

Merry Christmas guys
I'm looking at buying (due to budget constraints) an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two for my son and I to spearfish off. The one I'm looking at comes with two paddles and three seats and its cheap.
I'd like to rig it to spearfish off (cooler, anchor, straps to strap down guns and fins) and would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions in doing so. I've never owned a kayak but spearfish every weekend and would be able to get out more in the bay and sound than I'm currently able.
I realize this might not be anyone's 1st choice in a kayak but I'm on a very limited budget and would like to see if I could make this kayak into a spearfishing kayak.

Thanks and cheers to you all
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
brandon cadalzo

Re: Ocean Kayak Malibu Two for Spearfishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Merry Christmas guys

I'm looking at buying (due to budget constraints) an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two for my son and I to spearfish off. The one I'm looking at comes with two paddles and three seats and its cheap.

I'd like to rig it to spearfish off (cooler, anchor, straps to strap down guns and fins) and would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions in doing so. I've never owned a kayak but spearfish every weekend and would be able to get out more in the bay and sound than I'm currently able.

I realize this might not be anyone's 1st choice in a kayak but I'm on a very limited budget and would like to see if I could make this kayak into a spearfishing kayak.

Thanks and cheers to you all

I have dived off of this kayak a whole bunch of times! It's a great platform to dive off of as it is extremely stable and there's quite a bit of room to keep stuff. I think the biggest technical factor to think about is the weight capacity of the boat. Just make sure all your stuff plus you and your sons weight along with any fish you spear. If your not in real sharky areas and don't have to worry much about the tax man you can always leave em on the stringer and tow them in to shore. Overall I think it's a good boat and even more so I think it's awesome that you're doing this with your son and making some really cool memories. That's the coolest thing of all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon cadalzo View Post
I have dived off of this kayak a whole bunch of times! It's a great platform to dive off of as it is extremely stable and there's quite a bit of room to keep stuff. I think the biggest technical factor to think about is the weight capacity of the boat. Just make sure all your stuff plus you and your sons weight along with any fish you spear. If your not in real sharky areas and don't have to worry much about the tax man you can always leave em on the stringer and tow them in to shore. Overall I think it's a good boat and even more so I think it's awesome that you're doing this with your son and making some really cool memories. That's the coolest thing of all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, he's my spearing bud.
Nothing cooler than every weekend he wants to hang out with me and spear rather than spend time with his pals.

Christmas Cheers and Happy Hunting
Old 12-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
hatterasfreedvr

Small anchor on the bow or line with a longline clip if you're tying up to something. Wear your fins and weightbelts with your masks around your necks. Wearing you gear prevents loss and makes flipping a yak in the surf easier with the fins on and no weightbelts in the boat. Clip a mono line stringer to one of the eyelets on the side of the stern. Keep your spearguns laying in the back pointed out with rubber on the tips, and run the stringer through the triggers incase you flip. Attach your paddles with leashes. Brain your fish and don't keep them in the water. They will be fine for longer than you can dive even when it's hot. Wear whistles around your wrists. Don't bring any shit you don't need. Tie down everything. Hopefully this is helpful haha. Enjoy fellas!
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Thanks for the tips.
Just got this cheap baby the other day:

So any other tips/tricks/suggestions for freedive/spearfishing rigging/setup will be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas
Old 09-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
PikeInSalt

Got this same kayak yesterday for free. Has anyone installed hatch covers with cat bags? Pretty cheap and gives you some space to keep some items like water, tools, etc. Don't want to waste money if its not worth it though. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm in the Caribbean and will not travel further than a mile from shore, mostly reef hunting in 30-90'
PikeInSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
Sanny

I had a kayak without much inside storage a few years back and used a couple of surfboard leash ankle straps that I hung off the eyelets in the rear quarter of the kayak for speargun straps. Put them back as far as possible so you're not hitting them with a paddle and point the tips to the back. use an allen wrench to remove the pins in the leash and thread a leash string through the brass swivel and you're ready to rock. I put one of the straps through the trigger- it worked pretty good- very secure.
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote