Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
AlecGaro

Best Spearfishing Gun For Beginners?

Hey everyone I just recently started spearfishing and want to invest in a spear gun, around 175$ max.. hopefully one that is easy enough for someone that knows the bare minimum of spearfishing and can also get the job done on a novice level.

I'll be fishing pretty much up and down mainly Orange County, CA (Newport, CDM areas).. possibly LA County around Santa Monica sometime. And as for the fish.. whatever swims in front of me lol. So far I tend to see and catch 5-10 lb fish with my friend's Cressi Comanche (which I think is pretty good but does tend to jam sometimes and he says has its drawbacks as well). I would like something with good amount of power and can catch fish up to 25-30 lbs, possible a range of 8-10 feet and takes a minute-ish to reload once gotten used to.

So far the guns I have seen have been recommended to be around 90cm. The ones I've seen been named most for noobs that are under 175$ are (in no specific order):

Cressi Comanche, Cressi Geronimo, Cressi Apache, Mako Predator Pro 2nd Gen, Omer Kanoloa and some companies like Riffe or Rob Allen (but for these I have no idea which models they are referring to).

I also have no idea if I need one with options built in or if I should buy some separately.. these include: a reel or not, if I need one that has bands or a piston, or any additional attachments (like band config, muzzle type, shaft type, possible butt pad.. these are just some options I saw on Mako's Predator link). So if you would think I should get something like that please state that as well!

Could you guys tell me which specific Make and Model gun you would recommend for a beginner like me (including the size)?

I know I am asking for a lot but I want to be well prepared because I have found a new passion! Thank you so much for all the help you can give me!

Last edited by AlecGaro; 09-15-2014 at 11:29 PM.
AlecGaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Re: Best Spearfishing Gun For Beginners?

175 max
Something used of Craigslist like a 36in jbl for super cheap
Or if you want new you want a pipe gun in 90-100 cm range. Or maybe there is a used pathos or rob Allen in the same size range on here or on eBay or something.
Spear america has to Picasso 100's for 168 shipped, buy a 5$ polypropylene line from home depot as a float line and you've got a full setup for 173 bucks
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
AlecGaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
175 max
Something used of Craigslist like a 36in jbl for super cheap
Or if you want new you want a pipe gun in 90-100 cm range. Or maybe there is a used pathos or rob Allen in the same size range on here or on eBay or something.
Spear america has to Picasso 100's for 168 shipped, buy a 5$ polypropylene line from home depot as a float line and you've got a full setup for 173 bucks

Ill definitely look into that! and btw is spearamerica down or something? Ive been trying to go on and it keeps giving me an error.
AlecGaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:04 AM   #4
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

We are in the process of switching hosts and updating website.

Please contact me for help
310-923-1311

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Runngo
Drums 'n' Divin'

Actually AB Biller's are decent and reliable guns for beginners. I'd suggest a 48' or a 54'. The 48' is perfect for around reefs, you can easily shoot hogs snappers and sheepies with it, even grouper. Get the 54' if you plan on shooting bigger palegics at a distance with a few added bands.
Runngo is offline   Reply With Quote