Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Upper Gulfcoast

Upper Gulfcoast This is the area for spearfishermen in Panama City, Destin/Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Alabama, Miss., and Louisiana.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
grouperdown

Spearfishing in mobile by dog river marina

My wife and I just moved onto our sailboat on kentucky lake and are going to drive our car to mobile AL to check out their marina to see if we want to moor the boat there. Might drive there in the spring. Are there any shore sprearfishing spots around there or any guide services? I've never actually spearfished but have been practicing free diving and have been reading on here to learn as much as I can. Thanks.
grouperdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Mighty KC

Re: Spearfishing in mobile by dog river marina

Hello,

As far as shore diving, none in the bay period. Gulf shores has a couple of spots with beach access, and visibility depends on the Tide, and recent rain/runoff.

The only shops that I know of that offer any type of freedive spearfishing advice/charter are Down Under dive shop in Gulf shores, and Benthic in Destin Fl.

Lot easier if you have your own transportation as there are many rigs/wrecks within 15 to 25 miles from Dauphin Island or FT. Morgan.
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
grouperdown

Thanks Mighty KC, from searching the internet looks like I might be taking a side trip to destin, it's only a few hrs from the marina we are looking at.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
Watergator

KC pretty much covered it. The public reefs on the Alabama marine resources website can produce a lot of really good fish and are pretty easy to find.

I highly recommend both Michael Sumlin (down under) and and Mike Poole (Benthic) for equipment and location advice. Also, John at Benthic runs an inshore guide service and gets a lot of nice sheepshead, flounder, and mangrove snapper around Destin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
grouperdown

Thanks watergator. Some friends of ours doing the great loop are in mobile right now and mentioned that it looks like they are still recovering from the hurricane, will this affect the fishing or has it had time to recover.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
Wood Guy

Spearishing dive trips are also available through Dive Pros dive shop in Pensacola, FL. There isn't much in the way of spearfishing shore dives since it's a little far north for coral, and the wrecks are too far out for shore diving.
You can shore dive the jetties at Orange Beach, but vis will be low (4-8'). There have been some gags and flounder taken there, although they wont be huge. FYI you will need a spear fishing license in Alabama in addition to a salt water fishing license. Pensacola Bay has many small artificial wrecks consisting of everything from fiberglass boats to grocery baskets, and they hold red snapper, gags, and flounder. You can get to some in a yak or small boat on nice days. Be aware of the seasons, sizes, and bag limits. They are not necessarily the same for Al state, FL state, and Fed. Confusing, but it is what it is.

Last edited by Wood Guy; 12-30-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:36 PM   #7
Wood Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouperdown View Post
Thanks watergator. Some friends of ours doing the great loop are in mobile right now and mentioned that it looks like they are still recovering from the hurricane, will this affect the fishing or has it had time to recover.
Not sure what they are talking about. We didn't have any significant affect from hurricanes this year. They went west and east of us.
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
Mighty KC

Quote:
Yeah,

I don't know what they are talking about either. Last significant hit we had that I remember was Ivan ('04)
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #9
grouperdown

Maybe I misunderstood, I told them I was going to look at ford dealers down there, I'm a ford mechanic, and they said that it looked like the town was rebuilding from the hurricane and now might not be the best time. Who knows how far they have gone from their boat though. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 12-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #10
Watergator

Quote:

I agree with the others that there was very little damage in the area. Some minor flooding along the coast and Dauphin Island saw some sand movement over the road (haven’t been there since before the storm to know how it is now but probably fixed). It did bring in a lot of freshwater that messed with the inshore fishing, but it mostly just changed where you fished and if you adjusted then it wasn’t a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:55 PM   #11
Rusty Shackle

I live on Dog River and travel south to the Gulf to spear. Dog River Marina is going to be the best bet if you are going to dock here.

Do the spearfishing guides require that you be certified?
Rusty Shackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:16 PM   #12
grouperdown

I'm not sure if they require it or not. I'll have to look into that. We weren't planning on moving to Alabama for a while but looks like our house might be sold in a few weeks so we may have the opportunitynow.