Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science

Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science Discuss invasive exotic species such as lionfish, carp, snakehead, etc. including news, spearfishing and scientific research in any geographical region.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Stone

ECRA Lionfish Fillet Video

Here is a link to the Emerald Coast Reef Association (ECRA) version of "One way to fillet a lionfish". It was shot on Labor Day after the Sunday killing trip. The video is also on the ECRA "Lionfish Information" page along with Dave Magee's underwater video from the ECRA Lionfish Tournament.

Lionfish Fillet Video with Subtitles - YouTube

For those Florida Spearos who don't know it, the FWC has recinded its bag limit on lionfish and its requirement for the person killing the lionfish to have a fishing license (a photog can now take a nice picture of a lionfish, then kill it). My wife, Candy (also VP of ECRA), worked for 2 years to change these two nonsense rules and finally sat down with Fla Senator Don Gaetz to give him the information. . . 45 days later, the rules were recinded. Kudo's to Candy and Sen Gaetz.

We just got back from Belize, where it is illegal to spear on scuba . . . except lionfish. Just before I rolled into the water, I kidded the dive master that I didn't know what to do with my right hand because it always has a speargun in it . . . he handed me a pokey pole and said "kill a lionfish" (so they even have the tourists help out). When the lionfish showed up in Belize, the government started an education plan and a bounty. Belize is pretty poor, so the bounty didn't last too long, but the education and liberal killing rules did. I only saw 2 lionfish in Belize (Ambergris Caye). We saw at least 100 times more lionfish in Freeport, Bahamas (where you can't spear on scuba) and I didn't hear of any effort at education.

Emerald Coast Reef Association

Last edited by Stone; 10-27-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
Speedy

Thumbs up Re: ECRA Lionfish Fillet Video

Great post Stone and Major Kudo's to you and Candy both. Just Awesome!
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote