Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:45 AM   #1
joespy66

Where are the red snapper?

Each diver can take one each day for the next two weekends so I'd like to make the most of it. I am planning on hitting some of the deeper wrecks out of Canaveral. Has anyone seen schools of them? Any vis reports for Canaveral and the 90s out of Sebastian?
joespy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood
Re: Where are the red snapper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespy66 View Post
Each diver can take one each day for the next two weekends so I'd like to make the most of it. I am planning on hitting some of the deeper wrecks out of Canaveral. Has anyone seen schools of them? Any vis reports for Canaveral and the 90s out of Sebastian?
Go to Hummingbird Reef, loaded with them.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:14 AM   #3
KillNTime
Underwater Assassin

Quote:
On Tuesday we tried 80-130ft NE of Sebastian, the vis was 5 ft and 67 degees everywhere
KillNTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
joespy66

Dove out of SI yesterday. No red snapper anywhere. Water was cold and murky in 90s and 60s. FWC at ramp, not many snapper reported
Old 08-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
steve-oh
Treasure Coast Charters

Quote:
Dove out of SI yesterday. No red snapper anywhere. Water was cold and murky in 90s and 60s. FWC at ramp, not many snapper reported
I can't find a reef that isn't plagued with them! Lol. Are you going north or south
steve-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
joespy66

steve-o if you can guarantee to get me on the red snapper I'll book a charter for next Friday.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #7
steve468

We limited on red snapper in 130 ft of water We then came into 90 ft and had 30 ft vis, 63 degrees. Pulled a bunch of bugs. Really good diving.

My buddy fished the same spot today and limited by 8:45.

steve
steve468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:03 AM   #8
joespy66

Thanks for the hot tip Propman!!! Hummingbird had a school of 100's of fish circling the structure. I hit the sand and waited for my fish to swim close. I wish I knew how to post a pic of the 35" monster.

It was so comical to see all the surface boats bouncing baits off the bottom only to be ignored by the fish. It also occurred to me how much more responsible spearos are. We take only the fish we shoot. How many snapper were dragged up and killed because they were small? I saw a lot of floaters and fish struggling to get back down.

Another thing hit me too. IF there is a decline in the population it must be from nets. Snapper swam around in schools and ignored most of the lines. But if a net came by they could have all been scooped up in one well placed purse.

Hey FWC the population is healthy.... I'll show you video of a school holding at least 400 fish and that was just one spot!!!