Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 02-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
andyready5

Inflatable Rib gun mounting

Just had a 12' zodiac hurricane fall into my lap. Wheels are turning for upgrades...First thought, how to stay inflated. Any ideas for mounting 2-4 guns safely. Also any suggestions for FF/GPS?
andyready5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
gettin'wet
Glaucus guides my spear

Re: Inflatable Rib gun mounting

If you have two pad eyes/attachment points on one side... i.e. where the grab rope is connected... then you can attach two slings that you can keep the guns in.

I bought some 3" wide velcro straps at home depot and used them. One by the muzzle and one by the handle, can hold up to 3 guns. They still bounce but won't be stabbing anything and it opens up some room in the boat.

Sorry if my description is a bit vague... let me know if I can clarify.

gettin'wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

Gettin' can you offer pictures of this set up?

https://youtu.be/Dkqo-KWsjfQ
matthew7stall(at)gmail(dot)com
LIMITLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:19 AM   #4
gettin'wet
Glaucus guides my spear

Sorry, sold that rig a few years ago and no pics handy...

But just imagine two velcro loops wrapped around a bundle of guns - one in front, one in back - and those loops then attach to the grab rope or the D-rings that hold the rope. Keeps the guns outside the boat and parallel to the tubes so you keep the pointy parts away from the inflatable parts

gettin'wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

We have done the same with polespears. Rear end out the back or resting against the inside of the transom, and tips out front. Bungie is what we had to keep them tight.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
growingupninja
Lance

On my kaboat i have a set-up similar to what asi described--guns strap along the side, points forward. I started with velcro cable ties but now use those big rubber coated twist ties that they sell at sports chalet and most hardware stores. You can ziptie them to your boat and they are easier to undo than velcro if you are in the water/wearing gloves.

One thing about the kaboat is that it has tons of d-rings, eyelets, and rope along the side to strap and hang stuff off... when freediving i use it like a giant float. Took all those attachment points for granted but if your boat doesnt have plenty of d-rings they are cheap to buy and easy to glue on.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
growingupninja
Lance

I forget which gps i use, i think posted in the marine electronics forum. Don't screw around on you]r waterproofing and cables; make everything basically dive proof (epoxy fill whenever possible) and you will be okay. Much of the boat electrical you buy is rated for brief shallow immersion but in pratice it is just splashproof in the context of saltwater spearing.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
Spear_Row

Pictures?
Any updates?
Spear_Row is offline   Reply With Quote