Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-22-2019, 09:04 PM   #46
PigStikr
Stupendous User

Re: Tool to cut yourself out of kelp quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
The sharpest edge is the one you put on it after you purchase it. I would suggest that you learn the art of knife sharpening. If you do not want to do that then purchase an expensive serrated blade knife like Riffe sells and just use that.

Here is the one you want:

https://speargun.com/collections/kni...dual-serration
Nice looking knife. I would take off the lanyard and replace it with some surgical tubing so it couldn't trap me.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:19 PM   #47
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Yes, that would do, in fact I will buy one as all you need is the loop to catch onto with your fingers as you draw it and then wiggle your fingers into it while wearing dive gloves. Thanks, I had completely forgotten about that knife.
The Atlantis knife arrived today in a relatively big cardboard delivery box, but when I shook the packaging I got a big surprise when this tiny knife tumbled out of the bubble wrap. My deathsticker is nearly double the length of this thing, I guess I failed to read the numbers properly. The rubber loop is smaller than I thought it would be, I can barely get my fingers into it, and that is without gloves on.
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:38 AM   #48
popgun pete

Thoughts for a “get-me-outa–here” knife based on an existing folder design, but made as a fixed blade knife with a slim metal D-guard for improved grip. Claw or eagle talon aids in catching stalks as is used on scythes and downward pressure would be applied with the wrist during the cut. Knife would have the usual scabbard. Second image is what it is based on design-wise, I just bought one, but obviously not for diving as such use would rust out the steel handle frame and screws.

P.S. The talon shaped blade makes a good box-cutter as it travels along box joins sealed with heavy duty reinforced tape, the reason that I bought it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	claw 2 dive knife.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	244356   Click image for larger version

Name:	claw 3 folder.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	244357  

Last edited by popgun pete; 11-02-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:53 PM   #49
PigStikr
Stupendous User

We keep an escape knife in each of the vehicles. They have a tungsten windshield breaker on the back of the tang, a notch for cutting seatbelts off, and a blade that is half serrated. The other day I was cutting that plastic twine from the lumber store that was holding some wood onto the racks. I tried the unserrated portion of the blade and it wasn't making much progress at all. The serrated portion cut it like butter. Didn't try the line cutting notch, and, in fact, have never used the feature on any knife dive or otherwise.
It is a locking folder with about a 4" blade. It has spring assisted opening and a solid side button lock. The folders having the flat-spring thingy you push aside just don't work IMHO because they can allow the blade to unlock, potentially cutting off your fingers. The only downside to this knife is that it has a 'safety' that disables the lock button. It manages to go on safe all by itself. Here is a similar one. I highly recommend keeping one in the vehicles since escaping thru side windows is tough. Also, anybody offroad can tell you the seatbelt pulleys lock with shock loading. If they are tight and locked, you might be trapped. If you are stupid enough to drive a tesla, the door handles go flush so the PD can't drag you out. Somebody died that way recently.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	81qB97tzvDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	244358  
Old 10-31-2019, 04:24 PM   #50
popgun pete

Not a Tesla, but an all lithium-ion battery supercar that took a tumble and the battery pack went up. If you could not get out quickly then you would be burnt to a crisp. The multi-million dollar vehicle was totalled.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ng-incinerated
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	supercar fire.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	244359  
Old 11-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #51
popgun pete

This is what the Rimac Concept 1 looked like before it was cooked. All electric propulsion with over 1,000 horsepower on tap, when the car crashed all that stored energy had to go somewhere and the blazing battery pack consumed the vehicle.

Actually this is the Concept Two, now with 1,900 horsepower!
Old 11-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #52
PigStikr
Stupendous User

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
This is what the Rimac Concept 1 looked like before it was cooked. All electric propulsion with over 1,000 horsepower on tap, when the car crashed all that stored energy had to go somewhere and the blazing battery pack consumed the vehicle.

Actually this is the Concept Two, now with 1,900 horsepower!
But can it cut kelp?
Old 11-02-2019, 08:09 PM   #53
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigStikr View Post
But can it cut kelp?
If your knife never got you out of this toaster then you can forget about being trapped in kelp, except maybe when your ashes were scattered at sea, assuming that they could be sieved out from the ruins of this vehicle.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #54
popgun pete

Looks like Omer have made a knife scissor combination with equal length blades, others tend to have a short scissor segment such as Aropec. I purchased one of the latter, but it was not particularly useful as cut wire with it and the blades will be damaged.

https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-div...ssor/1245565/p

https://www.aropec.com.tw/en/product...fe-KN-T29.html