Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Albondiga
A Harmer

SLO Dive Conditions

It seems to work for the Santa Barbara divers to keep a stream going to keep an eye on the conditions. Lets see if we can keep one going here.

Today I went out near Lion Rock and had 1-5 ft vis, with heavy surge. Wind came up to 10-15ktsNW in the afternoon.

I was between 10-20 ft deep staying over rocky reef, temp was a chilly 51.

I was not spearing, but saw a couple sheepies (one real big terminal male), a couple little lings (22-24inch), standard mix of rockfish (kelp, B/Y, gopher) and perch (black, pile, rubberlip). Lot of fish out, but not great conditions.
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
0976claxton
Jon

Re: SLO Dive Conditions

I think that Noah Doughty had the same idea of getting a SLO County diving conditions thread. Not sure if it ever really took hold. It may have quickly sunk to the depths of the forum. I guess it makes it tough when our conditions are so challenging. However, I really like the spirit of sharing some info with the SB guys since we are always in their area enjoying their bounty. With SLO County reports of poor vis and 51 degrees, I'm not worried too much about crowds. :-) Thanks for starting the thread.
0976claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Albondiga
A Harmer

I went out again today to the Lion Rk area. It looked like a carbon copy of yesterday, with a little less wind. The 5+kts we had was blowing offshore and it switched to the standard NW by noon. Water is still 51degrees.
The dive was a bit shallower, mostly in 10-15 feet, down to 21 feet. Vis was a hair better, 4-6ft, but that long period has turned up and was moving us around pretty good. If I was spearing I would have spent the bulk of the dive fending off boulders with my spear.
Saw a lot of perch, a couple RF and a big female sheepie. Not too exciting. No lings.

I can't wait for it to clear up here, for that month or so.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
deckhandmike
Shallow Water Hunter

What kind of boat you running? Good area, I see killer vis closer to summer and have wanted to do some hali recon.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
What kind of boat you running? Good area, I see killer vis closer to summer and have wanted to do some hali recon.
Work boat. There is frequently killer vis there, not just in the summer. It is just pretty stirred up there now. Some areas look unbelievable for halibut (narrow, coarse sand channels between rock pinnacles loaded with fish of all sizes), but I have seen very few buts there, and no big ones. They must at least go through, but not when I was there. I see way more in PSL/Shell, and it is less effort to get in there (if not as clear). I will post if I see anything significant. It is a little too remote and dangerous an area for people to mob the spot. It seems like every year someone has to be rescued from that area.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
maidendeth13
SLO Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albondiga View Post
Work boat. There is frequently killer vis there, not just in the summer. It is just pretty stirred up there now. Some areas look unbelievable for halibut (narrow, coarse sand channels between rock pinnacles loaded with fish of all sizes), but I have seen very few buts there, and no big ones. They must at least go through, but not when I was there. I see way more in PSL/Shell, and it is less effort to get in there (if not as clear). I will post if I see anything significant. It is a little too remote and dangerous an area for people to mob the spot. It seems like every year someone has to be rescued from that area.
Pretty much it seems like... http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...lyin+lion+rock

Kudo's for getting out there the past few days, hasn't exactly been calm. Stay safe out there man.

My Gun Build
maidendeth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Albondiga
A Harmer

I was thinking about that story when I brought up people needing to be rescued. She was not the first, or the last to get stranded on Lion Rk without a boat. I have seen giant waves appear out of nowhere on a calm day, wiping out the entire area between Lion Rk and the coast.

Oh well,
So is anyone planning on getting out this weekend? Not a great forecast, but not as bad as it has been.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Sebastien

Good idea I am with you guys! Ran on the beach at avila on sat water was green I am going to hold on for a while...
We need to get going a pool training routine / underwater hockey
Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
Albondiga
A Harmer

I posted some video I shot last Tuesday of a big sheephead near Lion Rk on Youtube. Vis was not as good as it looks in the video, maybe 5 ft.

Chasing the Goat - YouTube
Thought some of you might find it interesting. No fish were harmed in the making of this video.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
nikko
Nick

hey I just stumbled upon this thread, Im thinking of hitting big sur this sunday if anyone is interested. the conditions could be really nice. If not there, I'd like to try somewhere else but its pretty hard to beat a big sur dive. Pm if interested
nikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Albondiga
A Harmer

Shell Beach looks especially nasty today. Waves can be seen coming over the PSL breakwater, and big, fat, brown rolling swells are stacked up and covered with surfers as they crash into Palisades.
Good day to postpone a dive here.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #12
Albondiga
A Harmer

This morning I got up with the intention of diving near Santa Barbara, but when I got to my buddy's house he was thinking of changing the plan. He wanted to check out this awesome spot off Spooners. When we saw the ocean we both thought Big Sur.
We ended up checking out Willow Creek, which looked good, but launching a rubber boat would have been tricky. We went onward and Jade Cove looked like a parking lot at a rock concert, so we carried on. Ended up at old reliable Mill Creek, which had nobody at all, throughout the day, in the water.
We went out in the rubber boat and made 2 dives. Very clear water, 30+ft vis and nice color. The water was very cold (49degrees) and I was wishing my 100cf tank was a 72. Saw a lot of fish: many lings, greenlings, cabezon, rockfish (blues, blacks, b/y, gophers, kelps, vermilions, small olives), perch, and every sort of invertebrate I could want to see. Had a big sea lion showing some interest when I shot a few fish too.
Saw a lot of guys in the water on my way up the 1, and many were in the water when I went South. It looked like a clear May day in March, and people were jumping on the opportunity. Any more reports from the weekend out there?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
nikko
Nick

nope just a surf at sandspit in crystal clear water.
nikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikko View Post
nope just a surf at sandspit in crystal clear water.
Waves looked fun at Morro. Blowing offshore pretty good in the AM. Hope it was that nice at the spit.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
Albondiga
A Harmer

Dove by Pecho and Lion Rk today. Clean 30+ft vis, no surge, wind light, little swell, water temp 49degrees. Fish were patchy, real bunched up in a few locations. Both RF and perch loaded with babies.