Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2019, 12:33 AM   #16
carrasco
Registered User
 
carrasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Downey, CA
Posts: 749
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynorton View Post
Mr. Carrasco—Your public criticism of Palapas Ventana made me mad as hell. I go there every year. I have shot fish. I have shot big fish and I have shot no fish but I have always had a good time. And I have paid what I consider to be a fair price. I have great admiration for Tim Hatler who had a dream to create a resort for the sport that he loved, spearfishing. With very little money, he built up a first Class resort where, in fact, a world spearfishing tournament is held. And guess why that is. There are fish there. Take a look at pictures from this year’s tournament. To my mind, an operation like this should be encouraged. Instead, you set out to publicly bad mouth Palapas Ventana and negatively affect their business. Mr. Carrasco, you didn’t catch any fish. Boo hoo. I hope your skills improve.
7 posts on Spearboard huh? Seems like someone is trying to troll!!!!
You get 0 response from me kid! Now go away!!!!
__________________
_______________

I live for days like these!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:20 AM   #17
Castor
Registered User
 
Castor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 922
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

If I spent $5000 and brought my wife down there only to find out there’s no TV, the boats aren’t reliable, and the captains can’t find us some fish.... man Id be pissed too. Guys may have had good experiences down there but it sure doesn’t sound like you didn’t. Bummer.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:13 AM   #18
malibujohn
Registered User
 
malibujohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,134
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

With all due respect, running a charter is no simple task. Most people haven't a clue what it takes to run one, myself included when I set out. In the beginning (2017) my boat started experiencing mechanical issues on my motors. First time was with my son and I limped back on one motor. (5 hrs.) It wasn't the time of travel that bothered me, but the realization that down there, there is no boater assist and my spanish sucks, so radio is out. It was a compressor issue on one of the 200 optimax and I had it fixed. A couple trips later-same thing, only this time it was with a paying couple and we also had to limp 30 miles on one motor. I ended up giving him 50% back ($600). I realized how IMPORTANT reliability is down there and decided, for safety sake that I would repower. Man, what a battle with my wife. She's like "why cant you just fix em" and I'm like " YOU aren't the one going 30-60 miles out with no support! (unless you speak good spanish and can maybe get someone on the radio). Anyway I bit the bullet and spent 50k on two brand new 300 4 strokes. Best thing I ever did! I've heard good things about Palapas Ventana and sometimes, no matter how hard you try, the fish don't play. As I said before, Baja is basically a guys trip. Minimal amenities and accommodations. If you want something a lil more refined, you'll find it here!
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:38 AM   #19
carrasco
Registered User
 
carrasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Downey, CA
Posts: 749
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

The point I am making is that, when you are trusted with a family vacation, you have a duty to deliver on everything you promise. Having two of the five boats in a fishing fleet break down in three days is just plain irresponsible. I don’t care how much you guys like this guy.

Consider not so much the expense but that which no one has enough of; TIME.
My friend and his wife left their business only for the 3rd time in 15 years and the resort couldn’t even get their dietary restrictions correct. I am leaving the Palapas Ventana review alone from here. If you have never been there and want to go, good luck, you are really going to need it!
__________________
_______________

I live for days like these!

Last edited by carrasco; 07-31-2019 at 11:09 AM.
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #20
jfjf
.
 
jfjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Palm Bch County
Posts: 10,727
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

Taking wives on a guys dive trip? Lol, what could possibly go wrong? Hell, I took the wife once to a 3 hr party with just divers. It was a disaster. Lol
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:42 AM   #21
carrasco
Registered User
 
carrasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Downey, CA
Posts: 749
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Taking wives on a guys dive trip? Lol, what could possibly go wrong? Hell, I took the wife once to a 3 hr party with just divers. It was a disaster. Lol
I know,
... but they still want to go!!!!
__________________
_______________

I live for days like these!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:43 AM   #22
heynorton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasco View Post
7 posts on Spearboard huh? Seems like someone is trying to troll!!!!
You get 0 response from me kid! Now go away!!!!
Mr. Carrasco—- Thank you for calling me “kid”. In two weeks, I turn 76. I have been diving consistently since I was thirteen years old, that’s 63 years. True, I don’t post very much. Maybe that is because I don’t often get as mad as I did when I read your ill considered attack A treasured diving institution, Palapas Ventana.
heynorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:38 PM   #23
carrasco
Registered User
 
carrasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Downey, CA
Posts: 749
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynorton View Post
Mr. Carrasco—- Thank you for calling me “kid”. In two weeks, I turn 76. I have been diving consistently since I was thirteen years old, that’s 63 years. True, I don’t post very much. Maybe that is because I don’t often get as mad as I did when I read your ill considered attack A treasured diving institution, Palapas Ventana.
My apology for calling you kid!

Once again Sir, its not at all an attack.

I am stating a factual experience on a trip that was disappointing to say the least.

As consumers, forums like Spearboard have given us a strong platform to impact both shady business practices and stellar ones alike, accordingly. I don’t see that you do much of either.

since you like Palapas Ventana so much, why have you not taken the time to share your stoke on the resort, its owner or its staff? Why did you wait until someone shares a negative experience? Anytime I have either a negative or a positive experience, I post it. Doing so, helps all operations improve or risk becoming extinct.

Slow down a minute, re-read my original comment, see things from our perspective for a moment and considering how you would feel if your very first experience at Palapas Ventana went the way ours did.

I would hope that your maturity prevails and you can understand our point of view. Moreover, appreciate the value in posts like these- albeit, contrary to how they jolt your heartstrings.
__________________
_______________

I live for days like these!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:01 PM   #24
Tim Hatler
Spearboard Sponsor

PALAPAS VENTANA - BAJA
 
Tim Hatler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: La Ventana, Baja Mexico
Age: 50
Posts: 133
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

not big on forum rants but happy to discuss reality with anyone who has questions about a trip with us -
__________________
Palapas Ventana
Tim Hatler, owner
Spearfishing and Diving Resort
La Ventana, Baja Mexico
tim@palapasventana.com
www.palapasventana.com
310 594 DIVE
Tim Hatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:46 PM   #25
carrasco
Registered User
 
carrasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Downey, CA
Posts: 749
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hatler View Post
not big on forum rants but happy to discuss reality with anyone who has questions about a trip with us -
“Reality,” as opposed to what exactly?
... Feel free to elaborate. Oh yeah, “not big on forum rants.” Reminds me of the good ole’ octopus. Squirt ink and abscond right behind it!

How about:

“I would be happy to answer any questions about a trip with us.”

Lest you are ready to engage in an honest, open forum conversation/discussion or what you conveniently dismiss as “a rant.”

-Buyer beware. Honest customer feedback resented to boot!

By the way,

Did you really change your Avitar Title and add Spearboard Sponsor. I guess I can expect the thread to die pretty soon!
Well, you do live in Mexico- when in Rome...
__________________
_______________

I live for days like these!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:59 PM   #26
Tim Hatler
Spearboard Sponsor

PALAPAS VENTANA - BAJA
 
Tim Hatler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: La Ventana, Baja Mexico
Age: 50
Posts: 133
Palapas Ventana

http://spearboard.com/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=18

happy to answer any questions email me
17 years in business and packed with return customers
and always improving
Sea of Cortez resort and camp plus Mag Bay house on the island
liveaboards on both sides of Baja and 3 weeks a year Panama Tuna liveaboards
Love my Job
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dana pargo.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	243600   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	243601   Click image for larger version

Name:	hoo trio.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	243602   Click image for larger version

Name:	pargotime.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	243603   Click image for larger version

Name:	wahoo3.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	243604  

__________________
Palapas Ventana
Tim Hatler, owner
Spearfishing and Diving Resort
La Ventana, Baja Mexico
tim@palapasventana.com
www.palapasventana.com
310 594 DIVE
Tim Hatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:28 PM   #27
Besnilian
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Whittier
Posts: 28
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

I was planning to go down there and take my family for 5 days. I don't want to go to a broken down boat. I am glad you have educated us in the way in which we would be treated. Mexico is always a bit sketchy but i have never been ripped off there.
I guess ill replan our trip to Bahia De Los Angeles instead. I know the people are honest and excellent there.
Thanks for your blog. It's the only way to keep things honest for the rest of us.
Besnilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:34 PM   #28
fishstew
Registered User
 
fishstew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Age: 39
Posts: 244
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besnilian View Post
I was planning to go down there and take my family for 5 days. I don't want to go to a broken down boat. I am glad you have educated us in the way in which we would be treated. Mexico is always a bit sketchy but i have never been ripped off there.
I guess ill replan our trip to Bahia De Los Angeles instead. I know the people are honest and excellent there.
Thanks for your blog. It's the only way to keep things honest for the rest of us.
I'm not trying to start more of an argument and Carrasco is welcome to his own opinion based on his experience, but my experience with Palapas Ventana has never been the same as what he described. I've been going to La Ventana to dive with Tim for a few years now and I'm already booked to go back again in November for another Mag Bay trip. I personally think he runs a good outfit and I have always been happy when I left. It's true that there are no TV's in the casitas, but most of us don't go to baja to watch TV so that's not an issue for me. The place is way more comfortable than any other place I have stayed in Baja and every time I have been there have been families there, and the wives and kids all seem to be pretty happy. You always have the option to rent a car in La Paz or Cabo if you don't want to pay for the tours and you want to do your own thing. I have had trips where the diving was great and trips where the diving was just ok, but the guides, the staff, and Tim have all been really good to us and whether or not you get a lot of fish has a lot more to do with the ocean and the fish than anything else. I guess it depends on what you are after.....if you just want to shoot a bunch of fish and fill the cooler with 8-10lb yellowtail and cabrilla then going to bay of LA could be an option but I'm not sure you're going to find much in the way of fancy resorts that cater to families there, but if you want a shot at some bigger and more exotic fish then Palapas is a great option.....but you'll have to understand that there's a chance that you may get the skunk some days. Just my 2 cents, but like I said, I am a repeat customer down there and plan to continue going back. Just my 2 cents…
fishstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:53 PM   #29
carrasco
Registered User
 
carrasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Downey, CA
Posts: 749
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstew View Post
I'm not trying to start more of an argument and Carrasco is welcome to his own opinion based on his experience, but my experience with Palapas Ventana has never been the same as what he described. I've been going to La Ventana to dive with Tim for a few years now and I'm already booked to go back again in November for another Mag Bay trip. I personally think he runs a good outfit and I have always been happy when I left. It's true that there are no TV's in the casitas, but most of us don't go to baja to watch TV so that's not an issue for me. The place is way more comfortable than any other place I have stayed in Baja and every time I have been there have been families there, and the wives and kids all seem to be pretty happy. You always have the option to rent a car in La Paz or Cabo if you don't want to pay for the tours and you want to do your own thing. I have had trips where the diving was great and trips where the diving was just ok, but the guides, the staff, and Tim have all been really good to us and whether or not you get a lot of fish has a lot more to do with the ocean and the fish than anything else. I guess it depends on what you are after.....if you just want to shoot a bunch of fish and fill the cooler with 8-10lb yellowtail and cabrilla then going to bay of LA could be an option but I'm not sure you're going to find much in the way of fancy resorts that cater to families there, but if you want a shot at some bigger and more exotic fish then Palapas is a great option.....but you'll have to understand that there's a chance that you may get the skunk some days. Just my 2 cents, but like I said, I am a repeat customer down there and plan to continue going back. Just my 2 cents…
I am truly glad that you had a great time and that you are one of his loyal return customers.
However, would your opinion be the same if your boat was a heap that broke down repeatedly and ended up with no fish as a result of it.

If this guy doesn’t improve his operation by retiring his garbage motors, even guys like you will soon be writing post like these. Its just a matter of time.
Since you are going back, please share with us when you return, whether the same 125 2stroke Mercury engine is still being used. Whats more, why don't you jump on that boat and test it out.
As for the TV, how much can it possibly cost him to put those in? The answer is a lot in lost drinks’ revenue. No one in my party drinks- so yes, a TV would have been nice.
My two cents to your 2 cents.
__________________
_______________

I live for days like these!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:10 PM   #30
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished
 
Fernando8884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Coast Metro
Posts: 1,947
Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

Shiz happens & it sucks! I personally know well over 50 people who have had exceptional experiences at PV. I'll consider PV as a 4.5 star Yelp review. Can't please everybody & it definitely sounds like an effort was made. I'll be planning a trip in the next few months. As for the TV thing, they should be banned in Baja!
__________________
Fernando8884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com