Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

During the Fred Hall boat show I had a conversation with a guy in the NOAA that was talking about the health of the fisheries and sustained harvest practices. He had an interesting argument.

His claim was that reproductive potential is based greatly on size of the fish / lobster.

for example, a Calico bass that is 12" may produce 200,000 eggs per year, while one that is 16" may produce 600,000. A 24" fish may produce 1,800,000 eggs.

He suggestion was that we target the 16" fish and leave the 24" fish alone. Target the 1-3lb lobsters and leave the 5+lbs alone. Take the 40lb WSB and leave the 60lb+

Commercial lobster traps wont allow bugs bigger than about 4 lbs to enter them... so any 'big' bugs taken are all by divers.

It isn't the first time I have heard this perspective, which seems to have a solid logic for a sustained fishery.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

Last edited by Alashaman; 03-16-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alashaman View Post
for example, a Calico bass that is 12" may produce 200,000 eggs per year, while one that is 16" may produce 600,000. A 24" fish may produce 1,800,000 eggs.
Although a 24" fish may produce 3x as many eggs as a 16" fish, it also will provide at least 3 times the meat. So if you look at it that way, is it more ethical to take three or four 16" fish or one 24" fish. I don't know the answer, but it's worth considering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caljsiol_sio1ca175_122_044.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	215998  
Old 03-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Also I doubt lob traps are designed to not get the big ones, more designed to not let the legal majority get out
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Firs t they ask you for a few bullets, next they want to borrow your gun....next thing you know.your shot by the very people you trusted with the gun you lent them and bullet you paid for while you were feeling like your a good guy helping out somebody else that appears to mean well.

Does the logic make sense? YES!
BUT THAT IS THE PROBLEM. Logic leads us into a dark alley where we are beaten senseless with reasoning that makes logical.sense but ignores facts that stand in the face of what logic would lead you to believe.

Example: it is thought that lionfish will over populate and destroy the islands of the carribean due to the fact that they are non-indigenous......it is suggested that this is THE end and we as humans must SAVE THE planet by diving and killing them anywhere seen. If you go diving today in Florida, bahamas or.cuba you may agree. ..
But!!!
Fact:
Nature is not logical and she will.not roll.over and die completely just because of one newly introduced predator.
mother nature will react and will cure herself from this lion fish disease but she will probably not do it in any type of obvious logical fashion and the solution will probably wow Us all in the end.

so be careful when somebody tells you a story because I work in sales and we typically call that selling story, it helps the end user digest why they're doing what you say
Old 03-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
campbellc0321
Cortez Morning

Slot limit would end spearfishing as we know it. Unless you could get them to hold still long enough to put a tape on them. My 2 cents.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Chainsaw

You leave them, or point them out to me, or shoo them my way.
I like vegetables, but with my fish.
Tentative manager Long Beach Neptunes
Waterman's Alliance founding member
Daryl Wong
Mori
Ennis customs
2 time Long Beach Neptune's Blue Water Meet winner 2007 and 2016
Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

This isn't about new legislation or additional government imposed restrictions... its about a being responsible with our resource, is there a choice we can make that allows us to fish and enjoy our sport for years to come? Does the choice even need to be made?
Old 03-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
This isn't about new legislation or additional government imposed restrictions... its about a being responsible with our resource, is there a choice we can make that allows us to fish and enjoy our sport for years to come? Does the choice even need to be made?
The 'trophies' are thick as flies, just a little deeper than your average monkey cares to freedive. The biggest goats I have ever seen anyone post on here are usually upper end of middling average for a day spent laying on deep reefs. The 24" calicos are more rare but when conditions are right and I am hunting for realsies deep I always spook at least a few of those.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
Chainsaw

Quote:
How many lobsters over 10#s have you taken in your lifetime?
How many seabass over 50,60 or 70lbs?
How many calico's over 9-10lbs?
If your answer is none, or one then take another.
If your answer is 5 or more, it is time to start using your camera on the big girls and bringing only the decent sized ones to the dinner table.
But that is JMHO.
Tentative manager Long Beach Neptunes
Waterman's Alliance founding member
Daryl Wong
Mori
Ennis customs
2 time Long Beach Neptune's Blue Water Meet winner 2007 and 2016
Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
fish impaler

Quote:

Commercial lobster traps wont allow bugs bigger than about 4 lbs to enter them... so any 'big' bugs taken are all by divers.
Hoopnets....
fish impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #11
ksquared

I do agree that larger individuals can provide more fecundity but there is also a point where they start to produce less gametes regardless of their size. The curve isn't just exponential.
ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
How many lobsters over 10#s have you taken in your lifetime?
How many seabass over 50,60 or 70lbs?
How many calico's over 9-10lbs?
If your answer is none, or one then take another.
If your answer is 5 or more, it is time to start using your camera on the big girls and bringing only the decent sized ones to the dinner table.
But that is JMHO.
This sums it up pretty good for me.

It's gonna be real tough to lay off the trigger when that 60 pounder comes rolling through.

What would Monkner do?

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Side note:
Protect the nursery habitat or protecting the adults will result in nothing more than big fish (the last of their kind).

In florida we have bag limits and size limits YET big sugar is allowed to spew garbage runoff into our waterways leading to grass kill - off and fish kills (red.tide or other algae blooms)

So why do we work so hard to find and keep one fish with major penalties for a short or dead fish when corporate asshats like big sugar can destroy the whole ecosystem without any penalty.

Yes there are regulations.
Yes there are regulators
Yes they look the other way
Yes they all have nice homes and get invited to all type of perky game hunts and vacations on the dime of .......sweetness!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #14
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

Good discussion. I find myself like most hunting and taking the biggest stuff I can find. It was an interesting discussion and perspective I thought I would share and see where everyone else was on the topic. I find that I leave a lot more fish out there hunting only the big ones... If I shot every 14" calico I saw vs going home empty handed most nights because I didn't find a big one... and I doing more or less damage?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #15
ofer
So CA,Baja Free&Scuba dvr

as free divers we have very little impact on the fisheries. there is just not enough taken by free divers to make a different either way.

Craig, stop thinking like a logical computer nerd. although you do make sense.

Boat:http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=107968
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote