Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB
 
Alashaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 2,076
Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

During the Fred Hall boat show I had a conversation with a guy in the NOAA that was talking about the health of the fisheries and sustained harvest practices. He had an interesting argument.

His claim was that reproductive potential is based greatly on size of the fish / lobster.

for example, a Calico bass that is 12" may produce 200,000 eggs per year, while one that is 16" may produce 600,000. A 24" fish may produce 1,800,000 eggs.

He suggestion was that we target the 16" fish and leave the 24" fish alone. Target the 1-3lb lobsters and leave the 5+lbs alone. Take the 40lb WSB and leave the 60lb+

Commercial lobster traps wont allow bugs bigger than about 4 lbs to enter them... so any 'big' bugs taken are all by divers.

It isn't the first time I have heard this perspective, which seems to have a solid logic for a sustained fishery.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

Last edited by Alashaman; 03-16-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme
 
Trimbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 2,870
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alashaman View Post
for example, a Calico bass that is 12" may produce 200,000 eggs per year, while one that is 16" may produce 600,000. A 24" fish may produce 1,800,000 eggs.
Although a 24" fish may produce 3x as many eggs as a 16" fish, it also will provide at least 3 times the meat. So if you look at it that way, is it more ethical to take three or four 16" fish or one 24" fish. I don't know the answer, but it's worth considering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caljsiol_sio1ca175_122_044.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	215998  
__________________
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
Trimbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's
 
Jolinedaniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Ocean
Age: 29
Posts: 2,464
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

Also I doubt lob traps are designed to not get the big ones, more designed to not let the legal majority get out
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...
 
KILLIAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bluewater
Posts: 962
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

Firs t they ask you for a few bullets, next they want to borrow your gun....next thing you know.your shot by the very people you trusted with the gun you lent them and bullet you paid for while you were feeling like your a good guy helping out somebody else that appears to mean well.


Does the logic make sense? YES!
BUT THAT IS THE PROBLEM. Logic leads us into a dark alley where we are beaten senseless with reasoning that makes logical.sense but ignores facts that stand in the face of what logic would lead you to believe.

Example: it is thought that lionfish will over populate and destroy the islands of the carribean due to the fact that they are non-indigenous......it is suggested that this is THE end and we as humans must SAVE THE planet by diving and killing them anywhere seen. If you go diving today in Florida, bahamas or.cuba you may agree. ..
But!!!
Fact:
Nature is not logical and she will.not roll.over and die completely just because of one newly introduced predator.
mother nature will react and will cure herself from this lion fish disease but she will probably not do it in any type of obvious logical fashion and the solution will probably wow Us all in the end.

so be careful when somebody tells you a story because I work in sales and we typically call that selling story, it helps the end user digest why they're doing what you say
__________________
-only new to you-
KILLIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
campbellc0321
Cortez Morning
 
campbellc0321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: carlsbad
Posts: 2,206
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

Slot limit would end spearfishing as we know it. Unless you could get them to hold still long enough to put a tape on them. My 2 cents.
__________________
Chris
campbellc0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Chainsaw
Registered User
 
Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Alamitos ca
Posts: 1,173
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

You leave them, or point them out to me, or shoo them my way.
I like vegetables, but with my fish.
__________________
President Long Beach Neptunes 2009
Vice President Long Beach Neptunes
Secretary Long Beach Neptunes
Tentative manager Long Beach Neptunes
Waterman's Alliance founding member
Daryl Wong
Mori
Ennis customs
2 time Long Beach Neptune's Blue Water Meet winner 2007 and 2016
Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB
 
Alashaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 2,076
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

This isn't about new legislation or additional government imposed restrictions... its about a being responsible with our resource, is there a choice we can make that allows us to fish and enjoy our sport for years to come? Does the choice even need to be made?
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
growingupninja
Lance
 
growingupninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,412
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alashaman View Post
This isn't about new legislation or additional government imposed restrictions... its about a being responsible with our resource, is there a choice we can make that allows us to fish and enjoy our sport for years to come? Does the choice even need to be made?
The 'trophies' are thick as flies, just a little deeper than your average monkey cares to freedive. The biggest goats I have ever seen anyone post on here are usually upper end of middling average for a day spent laying on deep reefs. The 24" calicos are more rare but when conditions are right and I am hunting for realsies deep I always spook at least a few of those.
__________________

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
Chainsaw
Registered User
 
Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Alamitos ca
Posts: 1,173
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alashaman View Post
This isn't about new legislation or additional government imposed restrictions... its about a being responsible with our resource, is there a choice we can make that allows us to fish and enjoy our sport for years to come? Does the choice even need to be made?
How many lobsters over 10#s have you taken in your lifetime?
How many seabass over 50,60 or 70lbs?
How many calico's over 9-10lbs?
If your answer is none, or one then take another.
If your answer is 5 or more, it is time to start using your camera on the big girls and bringing only the decent sized ones to the dinner table.
But that is JMHO.
__________________
President Long Beach Neptunes 2009
Vice President Long Beach Neptunes
Secretary Long Beach Neptunes
Tentative manager Long Beach Neptunes
Waterman's Alliance founding member
Daryl Wong
Mori
Ennis customs
2 time Long Beach Neptune's Blue Water Meet winner 2007 and 2016
Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
fish impaler
Registered User
 
fish impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SB/LA
Age: 25
Posts: 2,335
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alashaman View Post

Commercial lobster traps wont allow bugs bigger than about 4 lbs to enter them... so any 'big' bugs taken are all by divers.
Hoopnets....
fish impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #11
ksquared
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Norcal
Posts: 226
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

I do agree that larger individuals can provide more fecundity but there is also a point where they start to produce less gametes regardless of their size. The curve isn't just exponential.
ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
Lompoc Local
Errin
 
Lompoc Local's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Age: 44
Posts: 3,413
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
How many lobsters over 10#s have you taken in your lifetime?
How many seabass over 50,60 or 70lbs?
How many calico's over 9-10lbs?
If your answer is none, or one then take another.
If your answer is 5 or more, it is time to start using your camera on the big girls and bringing only the decent sized ones to the dinner table.
But that is JMHO.
This sums it up pretty good for me.

It's gonna be real tough to lay off the trigger when that 60 pounder comes rolling through.

What would Monkner do?
__________________
I love Slugs

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...
 
KILLIAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bluewater
Posts: 962
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

Side note:
Protect the nursery habitat or protecting the adults will result in nothing more than big fish (the last of their kind).

In florida we have bag limits and size limits YET big sugar is allowed to spew garbage runoff into our waterways leading to grass kill - off and fish kills (red.tide or other algae blooms)

So why do we work so hard to find and keep one fish with major penalties for a short or dead fish when corporate asshats like big sugar can destroy the whole ecosystem without any penalty.

Yes there are regulations.
Yes there are regulators
Yes they look the other way
Yes they all have nice homes and get invited to all type of perky game hunts and vacations on the dime of .......sweetness!
__________________
-only new to you-
KILLIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #14
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB
 
Alashaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 2,076
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

Good discussion. I find myself like most hunting and taking the biggest stuff I can find. It was an interesting discussion and perspective I thought I would share and see where everyone else was on the topic. I find that I leave a lot more fish out there hunting only the big ones... If I shot every 14" calico I saw vs going home empty handed most nights because I didn't find a big one... and I doing more or less damage?
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #15
ofer
So CA,Baja Free&Scuba dvr
 
ofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 728
Re: Should we leave the "Trophies" alone?

as free divers we have very little impact on the fisheries. there is just not enough taken by free divers to make a different either way.

Craig, stop thinking like a logical computer nerd. although you do make sense.
__________________
I love my boat, I can't afford not to

Boat:http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=107968
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com