Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #16
diverlen

Re: Rigging 30cu pony bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Carney View Post
I prefer my 30 stage bottle behind me. Too much clutter up front for spearfishing IMO.

Zeagle HD Pony tank holders shown here are simple and solid. I can change stage bottles or primary tanks in seconds without tools.

Chad
Chad, I must say that I am very impressed with your setup. I see safety everywhere. Thanks for sharing that photo.
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #17
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulit7 View Post
Thanks Dago, can you expand on the benefits of it being closed. Also wonder if water might be backpressured into the second stage at depth, guess not.

Is that a spearfishing setup or foto, other work?

Chad will answer.
I am out.

Dago.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #18
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

bulit,we are about the same size and I had tried what you did but it was difficult to cock my gun.
With the stage/s clipped lo and around the side I can identify the bottle ,read the guage,verify the valve position and open or close them easily.I am considering lp46s for longer dives deep.

Most of my diving is 120' to 180' and I rarely use either deco or a bailout that shallow.We have T bottles of 02 on board,if a diver runs OOA or needs xtra deco we throw him back in with a al80 of 02 after he surfaces(usually embarrassed ).I am part time out there and average 300 dives plus a year.The regulars get 400-500+.

Chad,if you are serious I have a friend who grew up a NE wrecker and teaches mix and cave and loves to spearfish deep.He taught me a lot and when I took mix class from him in '99 I had over 3000 logged dives and countless unlogged..He does still give me cr@p about my air dives to 200' tho.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #19
Bulit7

Wow! 300 dives a year! Wish my wife would let me go that much! LOL
What are ya ? Commercial spearo? Cool.
I have a few guns but my latest, a Rob Allen 120 is a chest loader and when I shove the but into my sternum, I push the pony out of the way with it.

My pony has a long pressure and depth whip and I zip tied the reg to it so they are allways together.

I leave my pony on as soon as I get ready to flip over the gunnel. I allways watch for free flow. Is that not a good idea?
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

I mix up my diving between commercial and rec.I did some commercial 20 years ago and left as the appeal for $ was too tempting to poach.Now I am older(wiser?) and do about 200 commercial and 100 rec.My wife dives and loves seafood so I get 300 now no matter what.Usually 100 in the Keys,100 here on my boat or a friends and 200 up and down the East coast commercially.I am blessed to do what I love with good people.

I use 6" Hp hose and a S-P mini guage.My gun has a butt extension so I can hip load.I am beat up and old(lazy) for my age,chest loading would kill me.I cock on my left hip as I am left handed and that's why the stages go right.My regs almost all have clips so the can be clipped offf where I want them.My 2nd is on a bungie around my neck.

The guys I dive with are absolute killers and most of them dive oldschool with backpacks and al80s or jacked 40 yr old 72s.I need every modern convenience to stay up or even close with them
Old 08-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #21
Bulit7

Nothing wrong with that! I like good gear too. Finally to the point where all my gear is put together how I want it. It is tough when ya got a wife, three kids, and twenty thousand hobbies that suck your money and time.
Hopefully this year or next I'll get me a boat. Don't want no loans.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #22
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

I gave up golf,Jags tickets,hunting for the most part and concentrate on rollercoasters,good food and diving with my family and friends.
There is no wrong way to spend quality time with the family IMO.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #23
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
I gave up golf,Jags tickets,hunting for the most part and concentrate on rollercoasters,good food and diving with my family and friends.
There is no wrong way to spend quality time with the family IMO.
Absolutely.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #24
TheBrazilNut

Lee, what type of equipment to you own? Wing, regs etc..........

When diving in West Palm, Jupiter I use the same configuration as I do for deeper dives.

Wing/Back-plate
Atomic B1 with primary 6' hose
Back-up balanced reg on 22" necklace
22' inflator hose
24" HP hose with SPG
85cf LP Din
Wrist computer

40cf with stage regulator (filled with the same mix as my primary tank)
clipped to my left d-ring on waist belt and left d-ring on chest

Simplicity is the key!
TheBrazilNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #25
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrazilNut View Post
Lee, what type of equipment to you own? Wing, regs etc..........

When diving in West Palm, Jupiter I use the same configuration as I do for deeper dives.

Wing/Back-plate
Atomic B1 with primary 6' hose
Back-up balanced reg on 22" necklace
22' inflator hose
24" HP hose with SPG
85cf LP Din
Wrist computer

40cf with stage regulator (filled with the same mix as my primary tank)
clipped to my left d-ring on waist belt and left d-ring on chest

Simplicity is the key!

Nut, I think you should see a doc. Think you have MPD(Multiple Personality Disorder) LOL

I have three Faber LP120s
US Divers Titan Balanced Reg for my primary reg
US Divers Titan For My BOB
30CF Allum Bail Out Bottle
Sea Quest Black Diamond BCD used as a singles rig. It can be adapted to doubles.

I clip my 30cf BOB like you do with the stage upwards and the regs and full size pressure guage and depth console, zip tied together with the reg and clipped off to my side.

My LP120s are overfilled to 3200psi and have about 150-160cf in them.

I have a computer, compass and pressure guage on my primary reg.

I hav a DiveRite Nitek Duo on my left wrist.

I wear full heel longfins, couple of knifes.Couple of safety markers/fish dispatch inflatable sausages, an extra reel in case my main reel gets lost.

I have a reel with 400 feet of nylon line hooked up to my surface marker/dive flag. The reel is attatched to my gun. This way if I shoot a large fish, I can let go of the gun if needed.

My surface marker is a White boat fender, 24 inches long and 8 inch diameter, tied to a flag ball. I use both together since a few times, the flag ball sunk to the bottom. With the fender, there is no sinking and you can even hoist yourself up the float line in case of BC failure.

OK, think that about covers it.
I'm a heavy breather, and suck up a lot of air.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #26
jfjf

Quote:

I clip my 30cf BOB like you do with the stage upwards and the regs and full size pressure guage and depth console, zip tied together with the reg and clipped off to my side.
r.
You do not want the reg and pressure gage from the stage bottle clipped to your body. You want some elastic bands around the tank to hold the reg and the hose to the bottle itself. In my opinion this is important incase you have to remove the BOB bottle. If it is one independent unit you can do that. If it is connected to you twice, (once by clips from the tank and once via the reg) then you will easily get in a cluster if a fish wraps you up in line and you need to sort things out. At 200 feet, "little stuff" like this makes a big difference.

If you are going to the trouble of wearing a bail out bottle clipped to your side, rather than behind you where it is relatively inaccesible, you should probably have it rigged as clean as possible.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #27
Mike Edmonston

Quote:
I have a reel with 400 feet of nylon line hooked up to my surface marker/dive flag. The reel is attatched to my gun. This way if I shoot a large fish, I can let go of the gun if needed.
I like that Idea, is that something commonly done for blue water fish? do you use this same technique on say, the middlegrounds at shallower depths? So far all the middleground fishing I saw (youtube) was with these ridiculously accurate badasses that freeshaft huge fish.

Sorry, but I would need 10 shafts per trip, as I am nowhere near that accurate yet

Mike Edmonston
Oxycheq Experimental Dive Team Test Pilot
NAUI Technical Instructor
Technical Scuba Training Center, FL.
www.floridatechdive.com
***Ask me about Great Deals on Dive Gear and Classes for Spearboard Forum members ***
Mike Edmonston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #28
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
You do not want the reg and pressure gage from the stage bottle clipped to your body. You want some elastic bands around the tank to hold the reg and the hose to the bottle itself. In my opinion this is important incase you have to remove the BOB bottle. If it is one independent unit you can do that. If it is connected to you twice, (once by clips from the tank and once via the reg) then you will easily get in a cluster if a fish wraps you up in line and you need to sort things out. At 200 feet, "little stuff" like this makes a big difference.

If you are going to the trouble of wearing a bail out bottle clipped to your side, rather than behind you where it is relatively inaccesible, you should probably have it rigged as clean as possible.

Last time I dove with my new pony, I clipped it with a carabiner at the top d-ring and a carabiner at the bottom d-ring. I fastened the carabiners to my pony via tying them to it with braided nylon, one at the valve and one at the base.. When I used it, I let the reg and guage hang under me. Valve was open on the pony, but I am carefull to make sure it does not freeflow. I was worried about salt water backflowing into the unpressurized reg. Also like the idea of not having to fiddle with a valve when out of air at 120 feet or whatever.. Because the first stage is almost under my chin, the reg and console were at the reach of my fingertips. I know this is not the best place for it and am open to suggestions.
Thanks!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #29
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Edmonston View Post
I like that Idea, is that something commonly done for blue water fish? do you use this same technique on say, the middlegrounds at shallower depths? So far all the middleground fishing I saw (youtube) was with these ridiculously accurate badasses that freeshaft huge fish.

Sorry, but I would need 10 shafts per trip, as I am nowhere near that accurate yet

Mike, because here in WPB/Broward/Miami we never know what we might run into, I like the idea of being able to shoot a fish and just let go of my gun if necessary. A 60lb cobia, 50lb grouper, wahoo, large dorado, will swim hard and rip off if shot poorly. My other thought on this is that if a big shark forces me to do a worst case scennario on him, I can plug him, and then deploy my alternate marker, surface, and then get to the boat and retrieve the gun. Also, dropping the gun is never an issue. Everything I have is clipped.

I do not have a reel on my rob alen and that is the gun I have been using a lot.

I do not like freeshafting because if a trophy fish ever shows up, or a large pelagic, I will probably loose it. I don't like that idea.

As to accuracy: What type of gun do you shoot? I think that once you find a gun that you like and shoot it a lot, it will become part of you. You learn to shoot instinctively and it is a matter of lining it up and squeezing the trigger.
My last dive three weeks ago, was the 6th dive with the rob allen and I am finally getting used to where it shoots. It took like maybe 75 shots at fish to finally develop the feel for the gun. LOL

Lee
Old 08-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #30
Mike Edmonston

Quote:
As to accuracy: What type of gun do you shoot? I think that once you find a gun that you like and shoot it a lot, it will become part of you. You learn to shoot instinctively and it is a matter of lining it up and squeezing the trigger.
My last dive three weeks ago, was the 6th dive with the rob allen and I am finally getting used to where it shoots. It took like maybe 75 shots at fish to finally develop the feel for the gun. LOL

Lee

I picked up a Rob Allen 110, and am very happy with it. The gun is much more accurate than I am , But I'm taking it slow and learning the nuances of the fish. If I could just get the damn fish to cooperate a little more, and stop turning away, I would be alot better!!

Mike Edmonston
Oxycheq Experimental Dive Team Test Pilot
NAUI Technical Instructor
Technical Scuba Training Center, FL.
www.floridatechdive.com
***Ask me about Great Deals on Dive Gear and Classes for Spearboard Forum members ***
Mike Edmonston is offline   Reply With Quote