Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2005, 09:58 PM   #31
Ed Walker

Re: Grouper Closure Goes Into Effect

Let the local media know your opinion. (I already did)
Direct emails:

10news@tampabays10.com
http://www.baynews9.com/E-mail.html?tips
news@wfla.com
newstips@wfts.com
KKoehn@tampatrib.com
JWeaver@tampatrib.com
local@sptimes.com
Old 07-21-2005, 10:00 PM   #32
bgbill

Rich and Denny,

Thank you for your efforts.

Everyone on the board, no make that everyone, that likes to fish or shoot fish, that is not a member of the FRA and CCA, needs to Join the FRA and the CCA now, not tommorow or next week, but now!!

It is literally disgusting how few people are in the FRA.

If you are a member of the FRA and CCA, Great, now you need to get your friends to join, and Support them, with letters and going to meetings and your MONEY!

JOIN THE FRA AND CCA, now!!!
bgbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:14 PM   #33
BwanaR
Richard Daniel

This is crap...I got the feeling that they didn't really care what we thought at the meetings. They didn't ask for a count or anything. They had already made up their minds and I can't believe that someone with any kind of education at all much less a Doctorate could come up with a plan this stupid. It has the most negative effect on people and business's and the least positive effect on the grouper!
I'm also willing to contribute to the fight and believe I can get the help of others. We can't stand by and let them get away with this, it's only going to get worse!
BwanaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:23 PM   #34
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Walker

Thanks for the additional info Ed. Letters have just been sent to all the addreses you listed.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:32 PM   #35
jeepshapes
right coast represent

suxs. as a biologist i used to believe in the system. i will ask my better half who is a attorney with holland and knight if she knows anyone willing to do some pro bono work.

jeep
jeepshapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:20 AM   #36
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Mine all sent. I want my 5 ounce allocation of Grouper back!
Screen Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:26 AM   #37
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTaylor

I can say that many influential people, organizations and companys are just getting wind of this and have indicated they are prepared to "do what it takes".
9 US congressman from Florida have sent letters to the NMFS stating the data used in this decision is "suspect".
The Florida fish and Wildlife Commision agreed unanimously to oppose a closed season.

In addition, Attorney General and gubernatorial candidate Charlie Christ is on our side as well as gubernatorial candidate Tom Galagher.
We need to let these guys know that we CAN bring them thousands of votes so long as they are not swayed by the deep pockets of the longline industry.

Senator Mel Martinez has also been brought on board and is watching this situation closely. I wish I could say the same for Kathryn Harris.

I strongly believe that a federal investigation should be conducted on Roy Crabtree, phil Steele and the MRFSS office for improprieties.
I have watched as far to many shady things have occured over the last few years to believe that somebody is not acting outside the law.IMO
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:32 PM   #38
kmoose
Team Headhunter

I wonder if we should spend some money on a private investigator. If we all really believe that cash or favor have been swapped for favoritism, then a good PI should be able to help us prove such.

Rich, I am an active member of a PAC (Political Action Committee) that makes contributions to state and federal politicians. We also provide facts on issues that impact our particular cause. What I have learned over the years is that politicians will say they are behind your issue to your face but never act unless you physically take them to task and have them sign a letter or memo stating such. This is a very tough job that requires people with political talent. But, when this is achieved, the review of such letters by other politicians allows some to be more attentive to the cause. If you have regular contacts with the above mentioned, I urge you to pursue something from them in writing. The amount of leverage it would produce would be immeasurable.

Thanks for all your help Rich.
Moose
Old 07-22-2005, 05:42 PM   #39
stickitfishy
Medicine Man

Damn, someone pulled my reply already. Can't even tell it like it is here anymore. Or was it my challenge to the, ever so obvious, crooked powers that be?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:06 PM   #40
Capt.Gene

Our Congressmen are the only ones exempt from drug testing, they exempted themselves. Now I know they are all taking dope.
Capt.Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:04 PM   #41
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickitfishy
Damn, someone pulled my reply already. Can't even tell it like it is here anymore. Or was it my challenge to the, ever so obvious, crooked powers that be?
The post was pulled by another mod. He is just trying to keep it professional. We are all angry, but we need to handle this the proper way through the proper channels. There are other things you can do to voice your opinion and your post although passionate and sincere, was not appropriate. If Spearchucker sees it differently, he will chime in, but that is what I gathered.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:22 PM   #42
ramblin'wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Marshall
Come on.....Please don't tell me you ever thought anything different was going to happen. Their attitude at the Council meeting was obvious....It didn't matter what anyone had to say....It didn't matter how ridiculous and unsubstantiated their data looked.... The decision was made long before that meeting....

This is all political garbage.... Hell....I don't even keep Red Grouper....

The real interesting part is....This is all about red grouper....right....

Now....So I can get the boat ready....Is it closed immediately....Or does the closure start on August 9th?
The bag limit changes start on the 9th, the closure is Nov 1 - Dec 31.
ramblin'wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:40 PM   #43
Mobile Diver

All,

I spent some time on the Southeastern Fisheries Association website today. You can tell how much money is behind them & their efforts to convince people that recreational fishermen are taking all the fish. The bullshit they trowel out is amazing. Makes the NY times look credible. I urge all of you to take a look at the opposition: http://www.southeasternfish.org/. Then pay the modest amount it takes to join FRA.
305 849 0866
Mobile Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:50 AM   #44
Ed Walker

Todays morning news:
http://news.tbo.com/news/MGBKWFLDHBE.html
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/23/Sp...r__group.shtml
Old 07-23-2005, 07:56 AM   #45
Grauer
warped perspective

Public and Popular vote will still win out in the end.

What I encounter when discussing the grouper issue with other.

When I try to gain support from people who don't fish or pay attention to fishing, i find that they not sympathetic to our plight. This is due to their ignorance.

1. Most people couldn't tell you the difference between vertical and LL.

2. they think that the reduction is fair because, " If we have caught too many then we should do something to help fix the problem' (these people dont even realize that there are such things as commercial LLs)

I have started tell people that the LL are the equally as destructive as the drag Nets banned years ago, 93-95ish????

we need to be patient and xplain the differences in the types of commercial harvest. So that it is not Rec vs Commercial.

Another thing that we can do to help, is to make contact of managers/ business owner of Establishments that you frequent, Let them know that you will not be able to fill you boat up with as often, buy as much bait or food, don't need to get those tanks filled do we? How about sunscreen etc. These owner ma not see or realize it unless you point it out to them.
What would you think if you owned a gas station and 4 or 5 guys came in said that they would be able to fill their boat up, thats like 500 gal of gas not sold per week at this one locations.

We have been spouting off at the mouth here and on the FS, we have spread the word on SB and FS now it is time to expand and reach out to others.

We have have the ultimate weapon, we have the public all we have to do is educate them!

The 20 ton whale shark has entered the room! 2007 St. Pete Open! August 17, 18, and 19! Enter Now!
www.StPeteOpen.com
Grauer is offline   Reply With Quote