Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 01-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
onamission

Invitation to Spearfish, Hunt, Fish and Dive in New Zealand

Hi Fellow Hunters, Fishos and Spearos.

I have a unique situation where I am finishing up my corporate job this year and going to be hunting, fishing and diving my way around New Zealand for 3-4 months.
This is my backyard and have extensively hunted, fished and speared a large majority of NZ over the last 10 years. To see what I get up to on the weekends etc check out https://www.instagram.com/nick_binks/
I have a 4WD vehicle and boat that allows me to go to the most remote areas and islands around NZ. I also have all the gear including spare gear for people to join me.

Over this period I am happy for people to come over and I can take them out to target whatever they desire. What I ask for in return is that later this year or next year that when I am travelling I can do the same in your home town or country. Individuals and up to 3 people is manageable any more would need to discuss. I will list the species and animals that I target and the best month/time frame. If you into hunting as well we have 7 species of Deer and Also have other game like Tahr, Chamois, pigs and the list goes on.

Deer (March to May)
If you are a trophy hunter or meet hunter this is the one of best times to hunt the 7 species of deer we have in NZ. Most species of stags are in Hard antler at this stage including Red deer, Wapiti, Fallow, Whitetail, Sika and Rusa. It is also the roar or rut for most of our deer species over this period. 3 day trips are great but a week is even better to get into remote areas and target some big animals.

Game Fish
(March –Late April)
Certain areas of the country fish better at different times but depending on the weather patterns ultimately determines how long the game fish stay
Albacore Tune, Yellow Fin Tuna, Big Eye Tuna, Marlin (stripped, black, Blue, Short Bill), Mako, Bronze Whaler, Blue Shark, Swordfish/Broadbill, Mahi Mah.

In New Zealand Pelagic, reef and weedline fish can be targeted by both spearfishing or fished all year around but with better weather being (Late February and April) it give more opportunity to the islands
Yellowtail/Kingfish (One of the best fighting fish and gett up to 50kg most commonly 10-25kg)
Snapper (The best tasting and fish to hunt up to 16kg but most commonly 1kg-7kg)
There is a massive list of other fish that you can look up and I target all of them.

Other Seafood
Crayfish/ Rock lobster
Paua/Abalone
Shellfish of a huge variety.

Obviously a certain capability is required to hunt and gather a lot of what I mention above and a more competent, fit and enthusiastic outdoorsman would benefit from this opportunity.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Nick
onamission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
Polespearo
Waterman

Re: Invitation to Spearfish, Hunt, Fish and Dive in New Zealand

Don't hink i can make it to NZ but let me know when you travel if you come to Baja California SUR, Mexico.

Great offer you make!
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
onamission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polespearo View Post
Don't hink i can make it to NZ but let me know when you travel if you come to Baja California SUR, Mexico.

Great offer you make!
Hey Polespearo, thanks for your message.

Well if you ever do get out here hit me up. Baja is on the list so will have to get in touch with you closer to the time. What time of year do you find best for diving?
Old 01-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #4
Polespearo
Waterman

Without a question November, No hurricanes, warm water, good air weather, plenty of pelagic, no wind... yep November
Old 11-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
onamission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polespearo View Post
Without a question November, No hurricanes, warm water, good air weather, plenty of pelagic, no wind... yep November
Hey Polespearo

I will be in Baja in November and probably your area mid to late November, would be great to catch up if you are around?
Old 11-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #6
Polespearo
Waterman

Cool. Will send u pm with my contact details to not derail more post.