Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:53 AM   #1
junior

Bimini Slingin' Sans Stringin'

Ran over to Bimini for an extended weekend on a friends boat. Great god what a place All I can say is the boat would have been littered with fish bodies if I would have had the normal arsenal at my disposal. No tanks and no guns

Anyway, tried the sling thing and shot...nothing. Tried the spear pole and connected with a few hogs. Combine the limited effective range with my lack of sling-skill, throw in my unparalleled thirty second breath hold time and normally one would expect to bag a few nice fish. I saw some monster muttons making hasty exits from the reef out into the deeper sand and I had absolutely ZERO ZERO ZERO chance of getting anywhere near them. The only willing victims ended up being the ever elusive hogfish

Any of you guys that tear it up with the sling please let me in on the secret because I couldn't hit the broad side of an oil tanker with that thing
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:40 PM   #2
fishspearit
polespearer

Send a message via AIM to fishspearit
The secret is ..........lots of practice. Because you're not sighting down a barrel with your eye like a gun, polespears and slings take a lot more practice to shoot accuratly. But then as the saying goes, that's why they call it hunting, not killing.
I know what you're saying about those big mutton, they're one of the toughest to get close to. It may sound crazy, but I've had my best luck with the muttons by going down to the bottom when I see them, turn my back to them, and start tossing sand in the air with one hand. They're so curious they'll often swim up to you then. That's one of the advantages of the pole spear, it allows the one handed shot.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:00 PM   #3
slingking

Tricks

The sand technique definately works.

You might try a 1/4" shaft. The smaller shafts will fly so much further than the 5/16". But you better get a good shot or else it will be gone.

Also, try staying a little above the fish and shoot down toward them. This will allow for greater velocity.

To me the sling is the most rewarding weapon to use. And its a hell of alot of fun.
slingking is offline   Reply With Quote