Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Putmeincoach
Nate

Send a message via Skype™ to Putmeincoach
DIY FL Lobster Snare

Over the past few months, I've seen several people ask about lobster snares. They can be expensive, some upwards of $50.. which is a high price to pay for something that will most likely be forgotten on the bottom at some point in time. While I prefer net and tickle stick, I use a homemade snare from time to time when I come across the big boys who aren't so friendly. I decided that I wanted a longer snare today, and while I was making it, I took a few pictures of the process to show just how simple it is.

Ingredients:
-PVC cut to your preferred length, diameter is up to you, I went with 1/2
-2 PVC caps matching selected diameter
-1 45* elbow adapter with one side being the outside diameter of your PVC and the other being the inside diameter (there's probably a technical term for this, however my plumbing knowledge stops at a plunger)
-Basic mono + 2 crimps
-Golf ball.. yes, a golf ball
-Butter!!! Can't have lobster without butter.

You can get all of these for a grand total of <$5. The golf balls I used were free.. from the jackasses who like to drive them into the ocean.

Step 1
Put the elbow on the PVC, pushing it as far in as you can. Then drill 2 horizontal holes, right above the lip of the elbow,that are large enough for your mono.

2. Take one of your caps and drill 2 holes in it as well, side by side.

3. Run your mono through one of the holes on the outside of the cap. Then run it through your elbow as well. You can just let them dangle now.

4. Thread the same piece of mono that you just put through the cap and elbow into the holes that you drilled in the PVC. Form a loop, pull it as tight as you can so the mono on the outside of the PVC is laying flat, and crimp it as close to inside of the PVC as you can. (I know that's a terrible explanation, see pic 1, it's self explanatory.)

5. Now that the mono is secured to the PVC, measure it out to the length of the snare, and add two extra feet.

6. Run the other end of the mono through the second hole on the cap, through the elbow, and thread it up the full length of the PVC, out the other end. Attach the elbow to the PVC and the cap to the elbow. Make the holes horizontal, should you be holding the snare vertical. (Another bad explanation, see pic 4.)

7. Drill a hole in the center of the second end cap, run the mono through it, and push it onto the end of the PVC.

8. AHA! The golf ball.. drill a hole through the center of your golf ball, thread the mono through it. At this point, go back to the actual looper part of the snare, pull the mono until it's the maximum size that you'd ever want it to be. Now, while the loop is that size, run the golf ball all the way to the top of the snare, and crimp it. Voila.. you're done.

I've had great success with this snare. You can grab the bugs by the tail with it, or use it to grab the knuckle of the antenna. When using it, hold the snare in your right hand, when you've got the bug where you want it, pull the golf ball with your left hand. Keep the pressure on the bug by pulling on the golf ball, and let your right hand slide up the snare to your bug..works every time. If the mono gets worn down, you can just cut the loop by the elbow and pull it out. There's no need to glue the pieces, they'll stay in place, and the pressure from you pulling pulls them together. I drill a few holes in random places on mine so it fills up with water quicker. The mono will have the memory of it's previous shape on the spool. I wrap it around a gatorade bottle and pull it tight then leave it overnight. This gives it new memory of the shape I want it to open with.

Here are some pictures of the process in order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.jpg
Views:	4115
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	160033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.jpg
Views:	3265
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	160034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic3.jpg
Views:	3124
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	160035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic4.jpg
Views:	3843
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	160036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic5.jpg
Views:	3616
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	160037  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic6.jpg
Views:	3039
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	160038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic7.jpg
Views:	2884
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	160039  
Putmeincoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
AndrewK

Re: DIY FL Lobster Snare

How much would you want for one of those...
Old 09-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
H2O ADDICTION
I care about YOU

Nice! I'll have to make a few for the weekend - Already got most of that stuff layin' around!
H2O ADDICTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Putmeincoach
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by akapp View Post
How much would you want for one of those...
You can have my old one free, as long as you post pics of your catch. PM me and we can arrange a place and time.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Chiung
Registered Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putmeincoach View Post
Ingredients:
-PVC cut to your preferred length, diameter is up to you, I went with 1/2
-2 PVC caps matching selected diameter
-1 45* elbow adapter with one side being the outside diameter of your PVC and the other being the inside diameter (there's probably a technical term for this, however my plumbing knowledge stops at a plunger)
-Basic mono + 2 crimps
-Golf ball.. yes, a golf ball
-Butter!!! Can't have lobster without butter.
It's called a street eighth
Chiung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Putmeincoach
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiung View Post
It's called a street eighth
There it is, thank you sir.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
japsw20

not to derail your design but just wanted to add, if you need a smaller cheaper snare all you need is a tickle stick, some 400lb shooting line and 2 crimp, works like a charm
japsw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Putmeincoach
Nate

Not a derail at all, that looks like a DIY snare. If it works, it works.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
Williamsc

Slight mistake in your build, you need something that will prevent you crushing the carapace of the lobster. Dont get caught using one of those without the prevention on the end. Ill have to post a picture of my build, you can use a slightly larger plastic pipe than the mono and a small piece so it still grabs the lobster. Hard to explain but dont want you to get in trouble using that.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/r...ional/lobster/
Old 08-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
Putmeincoach
Nate

I know exactly what you're talking about, could use a small piece of tubing or even a simple overhand not in the mono that's too thick to pull it through the hole. It's a good point, thanks for bumping it.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

One great device to make these snares in compliance is a short length of floatline tubing. It is soft and won't interfere with the snares opperation and most of us have an abundant amount around