Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #31
Albondiga
A Harmer

Re: Gopro - Head or Gun Mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter View Post
How did you mount it to your mask? Details. Close up pic please. I lost my first go pro when head strap slipped off.
One guy on Spearboard showed a method for having his gopro held on by his snorkel. I think it might have been dodder?? Anyone remember that thread from last year?
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #32
shafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albondiga View Post
One guy on Spearboard showed a method for having his gopro held on by his snorkel. I think it might have been dodder?? Anyone remember that thread from last year?
it was spearthebigones

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=146059
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #33
norcalsurfer

Drill your mask, attach, and forget about it. Super simple, and you know when you lose it since your whole mask will come off.
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #34
Lino
209-202-DIVE

Send a message via ICQ to Lino Send a message via MSN to Lino Send a message via Yahoo to Lino

Revived from the dead.
I recently started using the head mount and going through the videos sucks, if your spearfishing, and trying to get some nice video, your going to not see your fish that just peeked up from the kelp to see what the commotion is all about.
I might use the head mount again, but I'm going back to the camera mount, it is easy to rotate your camera sideways, or up and down, on the mount if you want to catch your buddies on video without pointing your gun at them.
With the gun mount I managed to get some good shots, but with the head mount, what I got was cutoff video, lost video of the taking of a vermilion.
The only thing I had to keep in mind when the camera was on the gun, was not to turn my gun upside down while diving, this is easier than keeping your head from moving continuously.
Nice to have both mounts, but next time I'm going with the gun mount.
For those of you that don't have a GoPro, maybe Santa will bring you one this year, great camera for any sport, and it does not have to be the newest to have great video.
Lino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #35
Carlsbad
Anthony & Sherrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albondiga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafe View Post

I really like spearthebigones idea, because if you put a floaty backdoor on your gopro it has a chance of floating if you lose your mask in the waves and it seems less likely that waves will pull it and/or the mask off in the first place.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #36
Patswagford

I've only used a head mount and I've lost a gopro with it from it falling off while diving, I still use a head mount except I attach a bodyboarding leash to it, so if it does fall off, its just dangling from my arm.

Have noticed a problem with the stability of filming because I look in all different directions when I'm at the bottom.
Patswagford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #37
Datsun510

There is a mask made with a GoPro mount already on it, made by OCTOMASK, sold at Sport Chalet, pricey, but not a bad mask. Just need to see if it fits your face, as with any mask.

I have one, fits me fine, and works great. I haven't tried or figured out how to be able to remove the camera, while diving, to be able to switch to gun mount or hand held, would need to have a leash for those options.

Here is the mask link below:
http://www.sportchalet.com/product/s...756_3167681.do
Datsun510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #38
AsturiesHunter

I bought that mask and it fogs up a lot, I tried toothpast, lighter everything but it fogs to the point that it is useless... let me know if anybody used it and had better luck
AsturiesHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:15 AM   #39
Datsun510

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsturiesHunter View Post
I bought that mask and it fogs up a lot, I tried toothpast, lighter everything but it fogs to the point that it is useless... let me know if anybody used it and had better luck
PM'd you so as to keep the thread on subject.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #40
Carlsbad
Anthony & Sherrie

What's the best way to mount it on your pipe gun? She's got Pathos guns. She may go bleutec someday but she prefers the way Pathos feels. I've got a friend who can get me official GoPro accessories on the cheap but is there any way to use those to mount it on a gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patswagford View Post
I attach a bodyboarding leash to it, so if it does fall off, its just dangling from my arm.

Have noticed a problem with the stability of filming because I look in all different directions when I'm at the bottom.
Can you send me a link to one of your vids showing the stability issue? My wife doesn't move her head a lot.

With a bigger gun especially with a bigger fish I'm thinking the leash can be a hazard or annoyance. Is it? Where do you hook the leash? Anyone ever try to loosely attach it to a floatline or to their body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun510 View Post
PM'd you so as to keep the thread on subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsturiesHunter View Post
I bought that mask and it fogs up a lot
Forget the subject, I gotta know, You've been on the board since 2011 and decide to come out of obscurity to make this your 2nd post?

Why this? Were you ghosting this whole time? Were you abroad? Inquiring minds want to know & this type of thing makes minds inquire.

Welcome back and thanks for the warning about the mask. My wife has enough fogging issues due to her hair for me to mess around with a mask that potentially may not seal well especially on lean faces like hers.

Last edited by Carlsbad; 12-21-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #41
injunspearo

Head Mount for sure. As many have said before, you can film things you don't want to shoot at, and its just plain annoying to always see that static piece of wood or metal blocking half the frame the whole video. Unless you're willing to get into the fabrication of a mount, its no use using an adhesive mount or some beataroundthebush mount, with the recoil, it'll throw off the angle of the camera and all the time spent calculating the perfect angle, it goes out the window with the first pull of a trigger...

HEAD MOUNTS FOR LYFE
Old 12-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #42
Datsun510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsbad View Post
Welcome back and thanks for the warning about the mask. My wife has enough fogging issues due to her hair for me to mess around with a mask that potentially may not seal well especially on lean faces like hers.
I have an OCTOMASK, it works great for me. I used the lighter technic to remove the film on the lens from manufacturing.

I use Aquaseal "Sea Gold", make sure you apply the Sea Gold exactly as stated on the application directions, or the results won't be as good. I apply it just before going in the water, rinse twice, and leave the mask on until through diving.

I have friends who use Johnson's baby shampoo, and others that just spit in the mask, rub it around, and rinse.

So, back on track for the subject of the thread, the Octomask is one option, there are several other mask where you can drill and mount a GoPro accessary.

Another member on the forum was, may still, makes a quick release style piece to mount on a mask. So, you can remove the camera to operate hand held while diving. The thread link is below.
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...ght=mask+mount

I like the camera on the mask, especially if you are filming other divers, for safety reasons, see too many videos with loaded spearguns at other divers. It seems common since goes out the window when people get a camera and want to capture an epic video in the middle of the action.

The quick release would be nice for changing POV.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #43
surf_dude

I made a cheap gun mount for $4. I went to the hardware store & bought some sort of brace (essentially an 'L' shaped piece of metal) cut off one of the ends w/my hacksaw, knocked the sharp edges off on my bench grinder then drilled 2 holes matching up with the screw holes that my linewrap/anchor screws into and just inserted it underneath. Far from professional,but it worked thus far... my biggest concern was the line getting tangled up on it, but Its yet to happen after several dozen shots....
surf_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #44
shafe

Mako sells a good gun mount
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote