Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Re: Recreational Reef fish permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocrunch View Post
I still haven't heard a logical argument why a non enforceable free permit is going to help. Want better info regarding catches a Web Based portal that is voluntary would give better info.
Web based surveys have already been tried and were given to survey participants who purchased saltwater licences in 2012. I agree, the permit will not make a huge difference but at least we would have a better idea who and how many people have an intent on harvesting. If we just go by saltwater licenses the number of participants could be way overestimated as I feel we already are.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #17
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerland Key View Post
. The South Atlantic does not require a VMS unit on permitted snapper/grouper vessels and the data collection is just as good as the Gulf.
Maybe on overall landings but it leaves the door wide open on who. The IFQ system needs VMS to verify who is taking what, where and when.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #18
Summerland Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Maybe on overall landings but it leaves the door wide open on who. The IFQ system needs VMS to verify who is taking what, where and when.
The mandatory logbook reporting, that can be cross refrenced to state trip tickets, tell NMFS exactly who caught what and when. It is not going to give NMFS the exact GPS positions as VMS does, but does NMFS really need to know exact spots (wrecks, ledges, etc.) to calculate landings and set quotas? I think not.

The fact that it is mandatory reporting and your $20,000 (approx.) snapper/grouper perit is not renewed by NMFS if you fail to report is a strong incentive to properly report.
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #19
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC00BAD1V3R View Post
I agree with you fishkilla (pertainent name)

Its just sad when you go to publix and theres a ton of rotten fish/lobster no one buys. Its like this at every fish market, everywhere. Fish goes to waste, not for human consumption. The commercial guys can catch fish and make thier $ but who loses? The fish stocks and the environment. Its just sad that all not trying to get into a commercial/rec debate but most rec guys are keeping fish to eat them. Fish killed commercially Im not sure what % goes to waste but Id guess it would be a shockingly high rate.

Just my 2...
Here we go blaming the commercial guys do the math, the millions of rec fisherman out number us commercial guys and overall put as big of a dent, if not bigger, to the fish stocks. Not to mention some "weekend warriors" are just clueless, destroying food bottom, and take shorts all the time.
I wouldn't use publix as a valid example, they additionally sell catfish, cod, and other fish that wasn't even caught in Florida, and Lobster, you'll find Maine Lobster more times than not.
Huge corporations waste so much of their resources that other people would die for, we've known this for years.
In Key West the demand surpasses the supply, and when bad weather comes in we have owners calling my dad asking for fish... Then again, we sell locally.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #20
Mutt

u have to admit, a vms in today's economic crunch is about the most efficient way to keep honest fishermen honest and a decent way to keep fish bandits and/or fish pirates at bay, somewhat.

A CHEAP VMS/gps/ONLINE SYSTEM incorporated into all salt water fishing licenses...could be the best way to go, for sure! Granted, the learning curve may be a little steep at first, a little painful, etc... would be good for fishery.

FWC/state is already being paid by feds to ENFORCE the Commercial sector! the 2 are already married in enforcement, anyway.

Last edited by Mutt; 03-29-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #21
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

My trip tickets include info on general location,type of gear,crew number,number of hours fished and lists each species and weight.Every trip.The wholesaler also has to account for all his fish.Sure there's poor or misreporting but nothing like the recreational side.In hundreds of rec trips over 30 years I was queried maybe 10-15 times.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote