Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2016, 04:09 AM   #1
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Help Needed, DIY Jap Style Polespear

Hey guys,
I am setting out to build my first polespear.

I live in China, have an affinity for carbon fiber and have a few guys who can help with the steel parts but the first question has to with the dimensions of the CF tubes.

Wall Thickness
I have read most, if not all, polespear posts here and it seems an outer diameter of about 15-16mm (app. 5/8'') is suitable when using carbon fiber. But what about the wall thickness?
I can buy CF tube with 1mm (0.04''), 1.5mm (0.06'') or 2mm (0.08'') wall thicknesses. I am leaning towards 1.5mm (0.06'') or 2mm (0.08''). Any advice here?
I wont hunt huge pelagics but think more of this spear as a fast one with nice range.

Length
I will make this a three-piece spear as I would like it to pack down and not be longer than a set of freedive fins. So, each section will be around 3.5 feet long. So, I will get total of 10.5 feet plus the pointy end which adds another 1-1.5 feet making the spear a total of 11.5-12 feet.
If I take out the middle part and mount shorted bands I will get a spear 3 feet shorter at 8-8.5''. My idea is that it would cover reef and blue water nicely this way?

Connectors
I know I will have to make a fiberglass barrier on the CF tube before bonding the stainless steel parts, but I am cool with that. I have thin glass and loads of epoxy resin.
I am considering bonding the parts on the inside instead of sleeving them over the outside. This is likely less strong in carbon fiber but maybe I will wrap a bit of unidirectional CF over the outside to help with potential splitting.

I know I am asking a lot, but can any of you possibly share a simple and foul-proof design of the connectors? In terms of thread size and such. Totally OK if you don't feel like it:-)
I'll probably have it machined in 316SS, maybe even - depending on whether I can get someone here to digitize my drawings - have it CNC lathed.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote