Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #136
CuzzA

Re: Project Boat Discussion: Tips, Ideas, Mistakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizutz View Post
Nice! Now the fun stuff should be happening soon.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Yes, fun indeed. It really should start taking shape soon. Fun to to see it come together until fairing and sanding becomes my life.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #137
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkay View Post
Its coming together nicely! Looks like youre upping the HP to twin 200s now? Good move if so!
Yes. Without the dive load a pair of 150's probably would have worked, but after running some numbers I think I needed to increase power. 400hp should be a good balance between power and weight.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #138
CuzzA

Okay, the pilot house plans have changed again, but this time it's pretty much final as I actually measured everything rather than mocking up my illustrations from an old B25 diagram. The stringers are so big and beefy and the deadrise midship is so sharp that there is no way I can get two rows of tanks further than 40 inches from the back of the pilot house bulkhead. It gets too tight up front and the benches become too tall as the bottom of the hull slopes up. ​​​​​​​So I had to put my brain to work and this is what I came up with.

The pilot house deck will be raised another 3 inches to keep wash water out from the aft deck. This will also keep the scuba tank benches at total height of 24 inches. Now I'm sure some are asking why bother with the settee. Well, although this boat will have a commercial feel to it, I do have two young boys (one and five years old), so I need to maintain some creature comforts for the kids and mom. Nevertheless, the settee will actually provide a bit more utility. I can have the table for eating. I can use roll control tank holders for big voyages where we need as many tanks as possible. For example the Middle Grounds, The Elbow, Dry Tortuga's and the Bahamas. The aluminum roll control support beams will also serve to make the whole works a big bench and give me a much needed fourth place to sleep another guy. Two in the double berth, one on the pilot house deck and one on the bench. Of course bench sleeping has its challenges, especially in heavy seas. So it's not a perfect solution.

So that is the plan. Below is an updated and accurate illustration. I'll have my tanks, a settee, dry tackle storage and a nice divided cooler for food and drinks. I'll have the two large fish boxes and the ability to carry up to 19 tanks in the pilot house. With the other 4 tanks on the transom box, I'm just two shy of my 25 tank goal. I will likely add a couple more roll control brackets somewhere so I can reach my goal of 25. 24 dive tanks and 1 emergency o2 tank. I have a dedicated* LP95 for the o2 so that should work well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank_benches_d57c798dcc167917fe38fff146c8a0fd2c4b4fb0.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	240110  

Last edited by CuzzA; 10-09-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #139
CuzzA

Just a small update as we re-uped supplies this week and begin construction of the fish boxes...

I was trying to figure out a better way to drain the boxes to the bilge while having the most utility. I didn't like a straight thru hull with a plug in case something organic passed through. I didn't like a strainer because you can't plug it easily. I just didn't see a lot of options that I liked. So I got to thinking and came up with what I think is the best solution.

A 304 stainless steel kitchen sink basket drain assembly. Now it's not deep enough to thread it on the bilge side with the two inch thick foam, but I don't want to install it like that anyway. Instead I'll drill holes in the flange and surface mount it inside the box. This will allow me to easily replace it if need be. I'll also have a nice 3.5" hole to inspect under the boxes.

What's great about this drain is it has a deep well to accommodate the removable fish waste collection basket, plus I can plug it to maintain a slush if I want. For those who use this idea and want to drain your box to an unreliable maserator pump, you can simply use the stand pipe threads to make the connection to your hose. Perfect solution.

Now here's the really great thing... they're $12.75 each on Amazon.

Coflex Extra Deep Cup Sink Basket Strainer with Sealing Lid, 304 Stainless Steel, Brushed Nickel Finish

NEW FISH BOX DRAIN

Last edited by CuzzA; 11-09-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #140
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Great idea, James.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #141
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

I've never seen a sink drain like that before. Pretty cool.
If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:09 PM   #142
CuzzA

Small update.... The bottom of the fish box and part of the bottom of the benches are in. While not ideal, I decided on making the bottom flush with the top of the stringer. Putting the two inch foam on top of the center stringer would have killed a lot of space. I will just have to see how detrimental it is on my ice keeping time. If it's too bad I'll add a strip of foam on top.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #143
CuzzA

The past few weeks have been hectic. Rolled an ankle resulting in a grade 3 sprain, family battled the flu, basically I've been laid up a lot. So not a ton of progress, but some.

We got the starboard side tank bench in. The port tank bench almost complete. We need to reup supplies for the cooler bench and to start working on the cabin. Fish box lids are done which raised the pilot house deck about 2.5 inches so the benches won't be as tall as they appear. Hopefully we'll make some good progress and get the guts of this project done this month and then start building the pilot house.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #144
CuzzA

I'll add, as I go along I've tried to keep my illustrations up to date and accurate. Since I was laid up I did have some time and so this is currently where they stand.... for now.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #145
HARVESTER

I like it - looks balanced
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:27 PM   #146
CuzzA

Thanks, I think so too. This boat's factory deck, cabin and top were built with an overly heavy layup schedule, with marine ply and an excessively thick gelcoat, all factors resulting in quite a bit of weight. Tearing all of that out and using modern light weight core materials should be about a wash with a full load compared to the factory design, which also had a flybridge option. I'm pretty confident when I float test her she'll sit right with the fiberglass bracket, and with the majority of the tanks sitting at about the center of balance, she should ride right too. Maybe even a little better as these hulls have been reported to ride a little bow high. Of course there's really no way to tell until I splash.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #147
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Any decision yet on the motors? I still think Tohondus (Tohatsu) price can't be beat.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #148
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Any decision yet on the motors? I still think Tohondus (Tohatsu) price can't be beat.
Yes, unless I find a great deal on used power I think I'm sold on the Hondas painted dark grey. There's a dealer in St. Pete selling new 200hp V6s with rigging, props, and installation with a 5 year warranty for $14k each. It's a no brainer. They weight 600 lbs., which of course it would be nice to get the 4 bangers from another brand to save on weight and maintenance, but with a full load I really think I'll appreciate the torque and less stress on the engines coming from the 6 cylinders.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #149
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Yes, unless I find a great deal on used power I think I'm sold on the Hondas painted dark grey. There's a dealer in St. Pete selling new 200hp V6s with rigging, props, and installation with a 5 year warranty for $14k each. It's a no brainer. They weight 600 lbs., which of course it would be nice to get the 4 bangers from another brand to save on weight and maintenance, but with a full load I really think I'll appreciate the torque and less stress on the engines coming from the 6 cylinders.
Damn good price there! Hell, that's only about $6000 more than I paid for ONE Honda 250 5 years ago.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #150
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Considering they are exactly the same weight, I would go with the 250s. No reason not to as the price point is negligible. Are you going with 25" or 30"s

I like the layout on everything but the ladder. Figure out a way to have it fold back even if you need to fabricate a bracket.