Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #61
Bulit7

Re: DCS? Advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethema View Post
Am I missing something? This would result in a very high PO2, max depth pressure of 100% O2 is <20 feet no ?

If it is not ok in the water is it allowed in the chamber? Someone trying this in the water would almost certainly die.
yep... probably.
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #62
anethema

Yes I'm missing something?
Yes it is allowed in the chamber?
Or yes someone would almost certainly die doing this haha.
anethema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #63
Bulit7

Old 12-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #64
Isurus
Pelagic Hunter

B7 -
my memory of some of your past posts is that you have been an active and fit diver, but also, that you have scoffed at the additional tec training you clearly would benefit from. I do not say that in an offensive way. But just by asking the questions you have, implies you are insecure about your knowledge base and training. Take the tec courses you have talked about in your other posts. Especially decmopression diving and advanced nitrox. Learn more about inserting your own deep stops into your profile - this practice has it's own risks when you do it arbitrarily and without any background knowledge. Feel some pity for your dive computer - which has no model for keeping track of arbitrarily inserted deep stops (other than increasing your on-gas time) and bounce diving. You are on your own when you do that. And anytime you have a question about your diving health, CALL DAN, don't look for reassurance on spearboard. Finally, don't blame your captain for calling you back to the boat - it's not his fault you bounced back down before coming up again.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #65
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isurus View Post
B7 -
my memory of some of your past posts is that you have been an active and fit diver, but also, that you have scoffed at the additional tec training you clearly would benefit from. I do not say that in an offensive way. But just by asking the questions you have, implies you are insecure about your knowledge base and training. Take the tec courses you have talked about in your other posts. Especially decmopression diving and advanced nitrox. Learn more about inserting your own deep stops into your profile - this practice has it's own risks when you do it arbitrarily and without any background knowledge. Feel some pity for your dive computer - which has no model for keeping track of arbitrarily inserted deep stops (other than increasing your on-gas time) and bounce diving. You are on your own when you do that. And anytime you have a question about your diving health, CALL DAN, don't look for reassurance on spearboard. Finally, don't blame your captain for calling you back to the boat - it's not his fault you bounced back down before coming up again.
Cap was being an idiot. Shit happens. This thread died a long time ago.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #66
EpicAdventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethema View Post
Yes I'm missing something?
Yes it is allowed in the chamber?
Or yes someone would almost certainly die doing this haha.
Wet diver and dry diver PP02's are different. You can breathe 100% O2 in a chamber at 60 feet with no problem. In the water not so much, 40ft is right at the max limit. 60ft you are increasing your chances of an O2 hit.
EpicAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #67
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicAdventures View Post
Wet diver and dry diver PP02's are different. You can breathe 100% O2 in a chamber at 60 feet with no problem. In the water not so much, 40ft is right at the max limit. 60ft you are increasing your chances of an O2 hit.
very true.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #68
jfjf

Quote:
Most people would agree that the maximum depth on pure 100% oxygen is around 20 feet (not 40)
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #69
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!

i agree with him 33 you'll take a hit
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #70
EpicAdventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Most people would agree that the maximum depth on pure 100% oxygen is around 20 feet (not 40)
Most people...haha. I didn't get my numbers from most people. Seriously dude it's based on a formula. 1.3-1.6 ata ppo2 for a wet diver (i.e. in the water) is the limit used by the US navy (who pretty much does all the experiments and tests to find these limits that recreational companies base there charts off of), and every other professional diving entity out there. You can get an 02 hit at any depth as CNS O2 toxicity level is not the same for everyone. My tolerance can be much higher than yours. or vice versa.

I'm not sure what your diving capability is and how much you know. If you are just an open water diver then I don't expect you to know this stuff or for you to be using 100% oxygen as small errors can kill you.

Like most things in diving they are based off formulas and not not what most people consider the right depth or mix or whatever the case may be.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #71
ezequiel

Send a message via ICQ to ezequiel Send a message via MSN to ezequiel Send a message via Skype™ to ezequiel

Quote:
Most people...haha. I didn't get my numbers from most people. Seriously dude it's based on a formula. 1.3-1.6 ata ppo2 for a wet diver (i.e. in the water) is the limit used by the US navy (who pretty much does all the experiments and tests to find these limits that recreational companies base there charts off of), and every other professional diving entity out there. You can get an 02 hit at any depth as CNS O2 toxicity level is not the same for everyone. My tolerance can be much higher than yours. or vice versa.

I'm not sure what your diving capability is and how much you know. If you are just an open water diver then I don't expect you to know this stuff or for you to be using 100% oxygen as small errors can kill you.

Like most things in diving they are based off formulas and not not what most people consider the right depth or mix or whatever the case may be.
I agree. And also I would like to add that I cannot believe how many people During a freediving competition, WITHOUT ANY TRAINING BUT ANY SCUBA CERTFICATION (what AIDA recommends) will take OXIGEN at 5 meters, after a 50 or 60 meters dive, for 5 minutes or MORE . With NO safety looking at them, etc . Nothing happened, but could happen, is not proven that a person will decrease they chances of DCS taking oxigen, but is already proven that you can have oxigen toxicity. no brainer. no safety at all.
ezequiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #72
jfjf

Quote:

Seriously what ARE you talking about? Your earlier post appears to indicate that you think it is reasonable to use pure oxygen at 40 ft depth in the water.

I bite my tongue and in the nicest terms I know how, suggest that 20 feet rather than 40 ft is mo' betta for oxygen.

and then you come back and give me shit?

Lets make it simple.. what max PPO2 are you recommending that people use in open water and what depth does that correspond to with pure oxygen?

You can use formulas or whatever else you want, but I don't like to leave dangerous mis-information up on a thread, without saying something.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #73
EpicAdventures

Smile Re: DCS? Advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Seriously what ARE you talking about? Your earlier post appears to indicate that you think it is reasonable to use pure oxygen at 40 ft depth in the water.

I bite my tongue and in the nicest terms I know how, suggest that 20 feet rather than 40 ft is mo' betta for oxygen.

and then you come back and give me shit?

Lets make it simple.. what max PPO2 are you recommending that people use in open water and what depth does that correspond to with pure oxygen?

You can use formulas or whatever else you want, but I don't like to leave dangerous mis-information up on a thread, without saying something.

I said 40 feet is the max limit. (Post #66)

1.3/1.6 is a recommendation based on years of scientific research on behalf of the US Navy. (Post #70)

I did not say that 40FSW is the normal depth for breathing O2. Nor did I say you should breath O2 at 40 FSW... I SAID IT WAS ABOUT THE MAX LIMIT..

I'm not giving you shit. I just tried to explain that diving to a depth where O2 is needed for decompression requires the use of formulas.

Post 66 and post 70 are talking about two different things as 1.3/1.6 ata's is not 40FSW.

To answer your question.. .. I'm not recommending anything. Why would I.. Especially with idiots out there who will go out and try it with no experience or knowledge to what they are doing. Diving is inherently dangerous and everyone has a different tolerance levels just like drinking. Giving you a depth and PP is irrelevant. The number to which most adhere by is 1.3/1.6 as stated in Post 70. exceeding that increases your chances of an O2 hit. At the same time you can still get a hit from a lesser PP.

Take a class, read a book, become your own science experiment... At least then you will know what your O2 toxicity tolerance is.

Last edited by EpicAdventures; 04-20-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #74
UaVaj

Quote:
100% 02 with 1.4 PPO2 is 13'

100% 02 with 1.6 PPO2 is 20'

100% O2 with 2.2 PPO2 is 40'

100% 02 with 2.8 PPO2 is 60'

Choosing to beathe 100% 02 at 40' is almost sucidal. Breathing 100% 02 at 60' and chances are you will not be surfacing.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #75
jfjf

Quote:
I said 40 feet is the max limit. (Post #66)

I did not say that 40FSW is the normal depth for breathing O2. Nor did I say you should breath O2 at 40 FSW... I SAID IT WAS ABOUT THE MAX LIMIT..

I'm not giving you shit..
I'm done arguing with this guy over this. For anyone who who doesn't have a working knowledge of this stuff:

DO NOT breath oxygen over about 20 feet in the ocean without a full face mask and supervision.