Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 04-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
I drive planes

New to Washington lookin for friends

Hey all,
Just moved to Whitney island from Texas and was hoping shoot some fish. I have been snooping around the forum for awhile and have been trying to absorb some info. I can't find a whole lot of info for Washington that is super recent, is it there more shellfish collecting than spearfishing going on? I saw some post where scuba divers try and shun people who take fish even if done legally. Also, what is going on with the fishing laws in this state? They are the most overwhelmingly confusing thing I have ever seen!! Haha anyways, hope to hear from y'all and get back into the water sooon.
-Mark
I drive planes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
264win
My name is Adam

Re: New to Washington lookin for friends

Hi Mark,
Welcome to Spear board ( and Whidbey Island ).
The spearing is limited around Whidbey,but better if you can make it out to the coast.

Pm sent with more info
264win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
SeaHunter3

Quote:
Originally Posted by I drive planes View Post
Hey all,
Just moved to Whitney island from Texas and was hoping shoot some fish. I have been snooping around the forum for awhile and have been trying to absorb some info. I can't find a whole lot of info for Washington that is super recent, is it there more shellfish collecting than spearfishing going on? I saw some post where scuba divers try and shun people who take fish even if done legally. Also, what is going on with the fishing laws in this state? They are the most overwhelmingly confusing thing I have ever seen!! Haha anyways, hope to hear from y'all and get back into the water sooon.
-Mark

Hey mark!

Washington has some awesome spearfishing, but there is definitely a few things you need to know.

Inside the puget sound you are pretty much out of luck. Im pretty sure rockfish are protected year round in every marine area, and ling cod season is normally about 2 weeks in early summer which is also when the algae blooms and viz can literally drop to <1ft. We do have generous crab seasons, and flounder and all varieties of perch are open year round in most places. Things get MUCH easier once you get out onto the straits of Juan De Fuca and the Pacific coast. The best example of this is Neah Bay, in Marine Area 4. Out there rockfish is open year round with a HUGE daily limit, and lingcod is open 6 months out of the year. Not only that, but 9/10 of the kelp beds are loaded with fish, and visbility can be tropical even during summer time. It is definitely worth the 3.5 hour drive, and is probably some of the best shore diving you can get on the west coast of the US.

You mentioned SCUBA divers, and think thats something we often forget to address on here. In the sound, especially around Seattle, some spots have been unofficially designated as marine parks. It is 100% legal for you to spear on these sites, but it will also mean running the risk of slashed tires and shattered windows. Alki Beach, Keystone Jetty, Redondo Beach and a few others come to mind. Just steer clear of them.

PM me if you have any more questions! Im always stoked to help newcomers to the area!
SeaHunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
I drive planes

I am thinking Of taking a spearfishing/Camping trip near Neah Bay This weekend, Any good spots I can get to from shore? The weather looks pretty nice.
Just wanting to shoot some Ling and Rockfish. If anyone wants to meet up I am down for that too. Any good places to camp?
Are there places to avoid (like Indian Res?).
Mark
Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #5
SeaHunter3

Quote:
I am thinking Of taking a spearfishing/Camping trip near Neah Bay This weekend, Any good spots I can get to from shore? The weather looks pretty nice.
Just wanting to shoot some Ling and Rockfish. If anyone wants to meet up I am down for that too. Any good places to camp?
Are there places to avoid (like Indian Res?).
Mark
Yes definitely, Neah Bay has plenty of awesome shore diving spots. I would recommend the jetty (which protects the bay). You can drive right out onto it, just make sure you have both the parking permit and the Makah fishing license (both can be bought at the general store in town for a reasonable amount). You basically jump off the jetty into a 35ft kelp bed reef that is LOADED with black rockfish, fat greenling, and smaller lingcod. You can fill a cooler in 90 minutes, and the water is often times very clear. Snow Creek Resort is a great campground just outside the reservation, and there's also good shore diving from the beach the campground is on.

I had a run in with the local Makah sheriffs office on my last spearfishing trip, and the guy was incredibly friendly. I was honestly a bit nervous when I saw him rolling down the jetty, as many stories have been bounced around in the past, but he didnt even ask to see our licenses, just told us to be safe and good luck. The guy behind the counter at the general store is also very lovely, and went above and beyond to help me out with getting my licenses and permits(he even mailed me a check a few weeks later when he realized he had over charged me by a few dollars). I was, however, told its best not to leave your car at trailhead parking lots, specifically the one out to Shi Shi. Apparently, there have been window smashing and tire slashings in the past, but I wouldn't equate that to anything else than normal random acts of vandalism. Just use some discretion and I think seriously doubt you'll have any problems. Its a really quite little town.

Let me know if you have any more questions, and feel free to shoot me a PM. Cheers.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:45 AM   #6
I drive planes

Thank you a ton Sea Hunter! Sounds exactly like what I was hoping for! One last question, what is the policy on diver down flags? From what I Can find you only need them if diving from a boat, is that true? In Texas it was "required" but rarely ever followed. I have read some older forum post saying not to use them because you are more likely to get hit by a boat.... I have a bouy and flag but don't am getting mixed signals. Thanks again!
Old 05-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
SeaHunter3

Quote:
Thank you a ton Sea Hunter! Sounds exactly like what I was hoping for! One last question, what is the policy on diver down flags? From what I Can find you only need them if diving from a boat, is that true? In Texas it was "required" but rarely ever followed. I have read some older forum post saying not to use them because you are more likely to get hit by a boat.... I have a bouy and flag but don't am getting mixed signals. Thanks again!
No problem! Glad I could help.

There aren't any laws requiring you to use one to my knowledge, and I can't see a boat coming close enough into the jetty to be a problem. The reef runs right along it out maybe 30 feet and then it's just flat sand to Japan. Plus the kelp is very, very thick (something to be careful of, a spearo died in a tangle just a few years ago) and give you a nice natural barrier. One thing to watch out for is fishermen, I've seen both nets and casters off the jetty, so you obviously want to give them a heads up and a wide berth. I would never advise against bringing a flag, but I've never seen people using them out there.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #8
thegoodfoot

Quote:
Hey all,
-Mark
Hey Mark,

From Texas as well (Dallas area, grad from Tech). I'm taking a trip from San Diego to Seattle (and then Alaska somehow) and plan on bringing a kayak. Unsure about the rules and best spots, but would love to buddy up when I get out there if still interested in late July or August.

Feel free to PM me since I wont be checking the PNW section much.

Best!