Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #61
Hank49

Re: Mexican Panga - What size engine?

I had a 23 mexican skiff with a Yamaha Enduro 60 (not available in the US?). Now my buddy has a 25 foot with the same motor. Both rope pull.
If you use a manual till and sit by the motor, you're going to get really wet. I changed mine to a console with cable steering. My buddy is soaked when driving his.
A 60 is good if you don't take 4 people, coolers and gear. It'll be a bit overloaded.
Just to note, another guy I know here has Yamaha 40. It's a dog. Not enough.
My 90 ETEC, cable steering, console...gets the same gas consumption as the Yamaha Enduro 60.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #62
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

I agree with Hank (hiya bud howz it over in paraiso). Local guy here builds Pangas and his guys been doing them for over 30 years (originally in Peru), I spoke to him and he recommended for a 22.5 (thats the size they are building for the south african navy) 75 horsees, top was 90 and he recommended to go with a 2 stroke best being an etec... cut down on weight, hope that helps.

[edit] also according to him the type panga hull is an important factor when choosing a motor.
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #63
Powers
Dad

I think the 150 we are putting on this thing is going to be scary.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #64
Doc

As far as power goes, Powers, I would rethink that 150 if you have any options. I took my first ride in mine yesterday and the 65 was more than enough power. 5 people and a dog and 12 gallons fuel; the panga jumped up on plane with no problem, wot at 29mph; very comfortable 4k cruise at 21mph... perfect for my needs. Absolutley do everything you can to keep weight off the stern and as forward as possible. That 150 is unnecesary IMHO unless you really want to fly... WOT will be about 50+, but I think low end cruise will suffer from the extra weight. For full details and repport, see my thread, trying not to be redundant.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #65
Hank49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
I think the 150 we are putting on this thing is going to be scary.
If you have really flat calm conditions, it would be fun. But in choppy, 12 knot or better wind, inside the reef here I rarely exceed 3400 rpm (max is 5200) with the 90.
I did get to drive one of our company boats, another 25 foot Mexican skiff, when I worked on Ambergris Caye that had twin 60 Yamaha Enduros. Light load with just me and another guy. It felt like it wanted to hop out of the water when we hit some chop.
The panga/skiff design here seems to be a working boat design. Flat bottom, long narrow...not a high performance speed hull.

slingin' steel, life is good. Ya man....
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #66
PMExpeditions

Send a message via Skype™ to PMExpeditions

Yeah Will, I will go with a 90hp HONDA 4 stroke or Yamaha, but you don`t need more than that, maybe 115hp MAX, but single outboard, then have a kicker for safety. good luck,
PMExpeditions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #67
Powers
Dad

We went with the 150. She screams. We also decked straight back from the bow instead of leaving the bench seats in.

YouTube - ‪Panga‬‏
It's fun to finally get the boat in the water. 150 is definitely more HP than necessary and as Hank stated, that extra will only be useful in calm water. That said, it sure is fun.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #68
polespearo305

Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!! To think that used to be a drug-running boat...
good work

- http://www.austinsdiving.com/- http://www.scubasworld.com/spearfishing_tips/
polespearo305 is offline   Reply With Quote