Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 09-28-2015, 02:08 AM   #1
coolhand

Indo trip report

So just got back from an epic spearfishing trip in indonesia organised by Andre who makes the eponymous wooden guns and thought I would share some photos and a little write up as it truly was amazing.
We were 4 Ukrainians and 6 Ozzies plus one spaniard, mixed abilities and experiences and it was good...I think everyone saw lots of big fish, guys who had been on previous trips targeting dog tooth tunas said they had never seen tuna in such numbers. The largest tuna landed was 56kgs..our digital scales were only good for 45kgs so we had to cut fish in half to weigh them with any accuracy...some truly large 80kg plus fish were seen by half of us some busted off and others were not in range some sliptips didnt toggle giving a few guys bad dreams for the rest of their lives. We passed through some incredible country saw a local whale hunt (unsuccessful), dived under an exploding volcano shot big fish and put our gear to the test. The water wasnt always clear infact the most productive spots had very average vis at times...but sometimes with the tide a blue water came in under the top layer so after you passed 10-12m your world expanded and you could see the fish further away..same with the currents, it varied with the tide but it seemed there was more and bigger fish when the current was up a bit. Most of the fish in the following photos were taken with the andre guns, his roller guns especially successful on the larger ones..most guys were running 2 floats and bungee and the census of opinion was that this was the preferred set-up. It wasnt all doggy doggy doggy we shot so many it was almost ethical to go after other some other species and we got to mix it up with some reefies and even there big pelagics were seen...I will let the pics do the talking,it was a great trip, a real adventure, one I wouldnt hesitate to repeat.
cheers.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9180021.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	221669   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9180025.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	221670   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9190049.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	221671   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9190075.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	221672   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9190098.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	221673  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9200005.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	221674   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9200011.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	221675   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9210078.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	221676   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9230087 (1).jpg
Views:	324
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	221677   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9210181.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	221678  

coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #2
dirkbeachman
james dean

Re: Indo trip report

Oh, man that looks freakin insane! Is thefirst photo the boat you were on? Looks like diving in grand style. What an awesome trip. I just gotta make it down there! Thanks for the post! Those of us at a desk can dream!
dirkbeachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #3
doggiestyle

That sounds an excellent trip for sure,wicked dogtooth action by the sounds of it!
We did a trip on Andres Liveaboard a couple of years ago and was great as well,very well organised and catered for ...something I will do again for sure.
You got to do it James
doggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Wow, I am heading over to indo at the end of the month and I am getting all fired up.

What is a good wetsuit choice for over there? 2 piece 3MM?
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
Marco

Nice!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:01 AM   #6
coolhand

Hi Ross, depends where you are going in Indo it should be ok but I have heard around Bali and Penida the water is quite cold..some guys even using 5mm tops..then again in Sumatra you dive in boardies.....hope that helps
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #7
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
Hi Ross, depends where you are going in Indo it should be ok but I have heard around Bali and Penida the water is quite cold..some guys even using 5mm tops..then again in Sumatra you dive in boardies.....hope that helps
Thanks Coolhand! I am so amped on this trip. I hope I can find dive buddies over there. I doubt I will be in Bali for that long but I have 5 Months in Indo.
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote