Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
jfjf

FWC considering Banning Spearfishing in State and Federal

Tonight I attended a webinar which discussed the FWC's consideration of implementing new regulations on the harvest of barracuda. They are considering regulating the species in State AND Federal waters.

There are a wide range of proposals which include (and are not limited to) seasonal closures, size limits, slot sizes, more restrictive bag limits and implementation of commercial bag limits and stopping spearfishing.

The FWC readily admits that they have near ZERO data on the population and their understanding of the fishery is weak. They have indicated that the only reason they are even considering these measures is because certain people have complained and provided anecdotal evidence of reduced abundance.

It is disconcerting to understand that they have no understanding of the fishery, yet are considering some extremely drastic restrictions.

What I like least about the whole thing is their consideration of discrimination against our gear type.

They mention the potential to ban all spearfishing for this species because the fish are "curious" and relatively easy to spear. What other local species might they ban if this criterion is validated? Hogfish anyone??

The FWC is trying to get public input and there was zero input from the spearfishing public today. I made several comments and questions over the phone. I think we assume that others or some "organization" is looking out for our interests, but NOT TODAY.

They have released a survey and are requesting input from the public. Regardless of whether you shoot cuda or not, I think it is important that spearfisherman let them know that we do NOT SUPPORT DISCRIMINATION OF OUR CHOSEN GEAR TYPE.

It doesn't matter if you give a crap about cuda, but you all should make sure that their staff hears our opinion on selectively eliminating the most responsible gear type imaginable.

Paste this link to your browser and take the survey!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BarracudaWorkshop

Here is a link to their presentation..
http://myfwc.com/media/2989987/Barra...esentation.pdf
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver
Re: FWC considering Banning Spearfishing in State and Federal

First Permit, now barracuda. What a joke.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
Morbo

Survey done. Thanks for sharing the link.
Morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdiver View Post
First Permit, now barracuda. What a joke.
Harry:

You know it is not an exaggeration to say that you and Tony and I and maybe a dozen or so other Spearos were the reason we are allowed to spear Africans and Permit.

They are going to have another meeting in Weston, I suspect that we will need to go down there with a bunch of people and let them know once again that we do not support discrimination against our chosen gear type.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #5
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Harry:

You know it is not an exaggeration to say that you and Tony and I and maybe a dozen or so other Spearos were the reason we are allowed to spear Africans and Permit.

They are going to have another meeting in Weston, I suspect that we will need to go down there with a bunch of people and let them know once again that we do not support discrimination against our chosen gear type.
And I agree 100% about what you said about allowing to spear permit and AP. If you dont show up to the meetings, they will pass the stupidest law if nobody objects to it.

Such a pain in the ass, but we have to go.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #6
CudaKing

When and Where in Weston? I'll go for support
CudaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
mc diver 36

Thank you for posting this Jfjf I just completed the survey, and there is a section at the end for comments where I stated that me and most other Spearos think it's unfair to discriminateagainst one type of gear, especially when it's the most selective form of fishing with little or no bycatch etc. I encourage other people to do the same! You can also sign up for updates that will keep you abreast of meetings rule changes etc. Come on guys and gals we have to stand up for our passion everybody get on board!
Old 03-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
woodshooter

survey completed.
woodshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #9
jbsrq

Thank you for sharing this. Completed the survey.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #10
sacha58

Survey done
When is the Weston meeting??

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #11
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

there was a meeting in marathon last wed. about this.
the flats fisherman are complaining that there are no cudas on the flats anymore.
Of course cudas don't actually LIVE on the flats- which is crazy anyway.
They basically wander there sometimes. They breed and feed on the reef and beyond.
Anyway- I went with my buddy and we were in a room FULL of fat old flats fisherman telling stories of how there are no more fish for them to catch.
I was one of 2 people there who was against the new laws.
Both of us spoke in front of the group and called bullshit on them.
They had charts up that showed an increase in commercial and rec. take of cudas- which completely flies in the face of their assumption that there are no more cudas.
If there are no more- or dramatically less of them- why can I go shoot unlimited quantities of them on the reef still?
I freaking HATE flats fishermen.
We told them at one point- "how do you know how many cudas there are or aren't - if you never even get in the water? There may look like none from the boat- but if you grow a pair and jump in- you will see tons of them.

Cuda is NOT a gamefish- they do not fight well enough for that distinction period.
It is a POOR fisherman who fishes for cudas in THIS fishery anyway- they should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited by Impaler Spearguns; 03-06-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Impaler Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Harry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdiver View Post
And I agree 100% about what you said about allowing to spear permit and AP. If you dont show up to the meetings, they will pass the stupidest law if nobody objects to it.

Such a pain in the ass, but we have to go.
Harry, I asked Jim to attend this call last night and he did a superb job defending spearfishing. Unfortunately, I could not make the call myself due to an urgent last minute conflict.

You are absolutely correct that if we remain silent, they may do something draconian even though on a personal level they are nice and well-intentioned people. I remember well how a handful of spearos turned the tide of the permit/pompano regulation that was underway back then.

I will get to that Weston meeting as I'm sure you and many others will do so. But, I will also speak to the FWC staff in advance to see what their actual recommendations to the full commission will be and try to influence that decision process.

Thanks to Jason and his buddy as well for speaking up at the Marathon meeting.

Let's roll, Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

chase grimes spoke also- as well as me and andy
I suggested they close state waters only for commercial- since we fish for them in federal waters anyway and the flats guys won't burn the gas to run anywhere far anyway.
I would prefer NO laws , but if you saw that room I was in- You would know it's coming - one way or the other.
I wish I had thought to post on sb about that meeting- maybe more people would have showed up.
It took almost 2 hours to get to marathon for us as there was a fatal accident on the seven mile bridge that day.
How they grow the balls to close the entire fishery state wide because of flats guides not wanting to burn the gas to go where the cudas are stacked up.
So instead they lie and act like there are no fish to get their way.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #14
Thin man

Thanks for the heads up and spreading of word on the topic. I find it quite perplexing that method of harvest is even being considered. The subject is quantity and size of one species. It shouldn't matter if I am using h&l, spearfishing, or hypnotism to get the fish in a cooler.
I don't take cuda, but voicing our opinions is important regardless.
Thin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #15
virgili

Quote:
new regulations on the harvest of barracuda...

Quote:
Cuda is NOT a gamefish-
... not for the sharks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ph barra head.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	215532  

www.divefreeapp.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/spearfishingmotion
virgili is offline   Reply With Quote