Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Manny22

Post Starting spearing

Hello Spearos, name's Manny. Navy guy, & I've just recently started taking up spearing here in SD. Couple of guys I work with got me into it, and after my first dive I was hooked (No pun intended). Would appriciate any pointers/tips for a beginner. I reguarly hit up La Jolla, as I've read that it's a great place for people starting out. Especially looking for some dive buddies for spearing and bug season. (Been doing a lot of reasearch on the CA regs and such, but nothing beats first hand knowledge & experience).
Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
jujitsu4me

Re: Starting spearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny22 View Post
Hello Spearos, name's Manny. Navy guy, & I've just recently started taking up spearing here in SD. Couple of guys I work with got me into it, and after my first dive I was hooked (No pun intended). Would appriciate any pointers/tips for a beginner. I reguarly hit up La Jolla, as I've read that it's a great place for people starting out. Especially looking for some dive buddies for spearing and bug season. (Been doing a lot of reasearch on the CA regs and such, but nothing beats first hand knowledge & experience).
You need any help man PM me any time
jujitsu4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
Namor
Goletard

Welcome

Id say for advice, just take it slow and work up to things. Get a good fitting freedive open cell suit and weights with a Marseilles style belt and good fins, like Omer Stingrays, as far as kit goes. masks and snorkels Id recommend trying others till you find one you like. Guns can wait until the rest of the kit is dialed in.

Get some fish books and look at and ID the critters you see when out diving. then find them in the regs and commit it to memory. Its actually not as bad as it seems at first
Pole spears are a good learning tool but if you are already a gun oriented guy Id recommend going small unless you are already after big fish

Small guns are better for shooting small fish which will allow you to shoot more fish and work on your marksmanship. After shooting a bunch of small reef dwellers larger targets with a bigger gun will be easy.

Id also recommend that you not take the sentiment expressed in your sig line about longevity for the reckless out in the kelp with you. Young, fit, gung-ho guys get killed diving with a disturbing regularity. This is no joke

My last recommendation is that you befriend any Filipinos you can find as they will put any and every ocean species to good use and your diving pleasure will increase exponentially to the number of Pinoy friends you have

Jeremy
Old 09-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Manny22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namor View Post
Welcome

Id say for advice, just take it slow and work up to things. Get a good fitting freedive open cell suit and weights with a Marseilles style belt and good fins, like Omer Stingrays, as far as kit goes. masks and snorkels Id recommend trying others till you find one you like. Guns can wait until the rest of the kit is dialed in.

Get some fish books and look at and ID the critters you see when out diving. then find them in the regs and commit it to memory. Its actually not as bad as it seems at first
Pole spears are a good learning tool but if you are already a gun oriented guy Id recommend going small unless you are already after big fish

Small guns are better for shooting small fish which will allow you to shoot more fish and work on your marksmanship. After shooting a bunch of small reef dwellers larger targets with a bigger gun will be easy.

Id also recommend that you not take the sentiment expressed in your sig line about longevity for the reckless out in the kelp with you. Young, fit, gung-ho guys get killed diving with a disturbing regularity. This is no joke

My last recommendation is that you befriend any Filipinos you can find as they will put any and every ocean species to good use and your diving pleasure will increase exponentially to the number of Pinoy friends you have

Jeremy

Appreciate all the good tips man. Yeah, I haven't even gotten back into the water with anything(pole/gun) just yet. Still working on bettering my diving first. Didn't feel like having a chance of losing something, or worse. As for gear, I'm digging my Cressi 3000's, JBL mask, and small soft snorkel(nothing fancy) altogether. & I have a 3/2 wetsuit I use for surfing that seems to be working for diving so far.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Greener

Hey man if you're ever interested in diving on the weekends, PM me.
Greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
SDDiver5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namor View Post

Jeremy
First point is a very true. Safety first.

Second point is hilarious. Jeremy has made some crazy food with something I wouldnt even shoot.

Welcome to the board. Do your research, have fun, and most importantly, be safe.

Where in SD are you?

D
SDDiver5 is offline   Reply With Quote