Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Captain Nemo
Joey P

C02 PFD for freediving?

Ok so i have had some pressure from people, that want me to dive with a C02 inflatable vest for safety. I have explained to them that if I black out only a partner might be able to save me, ie not being be able to inflate anything if I pass out. But they are being persistant and want me to pick up a snorkeling vest.

I am super against this idea, I think the vests are to big and will create drag and will not be of much use even if I am in some sort of trouble.

Obviously the best choice would be the FRV but at 3 grand kinda out of my price range. So I was wondering if anyone has used those streamlined life vests that have a C02 charge in them. A lot of pro fisherman use them. If i got and used one of these do you think I would have a problem detonating it at depth?

Also any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
tuffstuff
Mathew Goncalves

Re: C02 PFD for freediving?

My older brother used to freedive using a bucket of cement as a dropweight to 100' and then inflate the vest when he was ready to go up. He did this in the 1980s lol. I think it was a bad idea and I don't trust any mechanism with my life if I don't have to. Wear a thick wetsuit with no weight and you will float up.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Captain Nemo
Joey P

I agree putting too much faith in something to save you can put you in a bad situation when things fail. But my only reason for doing this is to stop the nagging, has nothing to do with my trust in this thing saving me.

Like i said if I blackout or Samba this thing isn't going to do me any good. I just wanted to figure out if one, I would be able to detonate it at depth, and two I am curious if anyone has used one of these before in a similar application.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
anthropisces

Depending on the depth a single CO2 cylinder might add enough buoyancy. Are you buddy diving and have you and your buddies had safety training? That is going to provide a lot more security than a vest. I'd be careful about letting people with no understanding of the sport put together your safety gear list.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
hau
peskadot

Captain Nemo--The link below describes my experience with a CO2 vest.
These CO2 vests are NOT designed for diving.
These CO2 vests have inherient dangers when used for diving.
Hope this helps

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...&highlight=SWB
Old 08-16-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
ezequiel

Send a message via ICQ to ezequiel Send a message via MSN to ezequiel Send a message via Skype™ to ezequiel

best bang for your dollars :

FREEDIVING CLASS , apart from increasing performance etc, YOU WILL LEARN A LOT OF SAFETY ISSUE, can save your live or you buddy,
i didst know how much i didn't know until I did it!
ezequiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
Captain Nemo
Joey P

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate the info.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:21 AM   #8
seabasshunterSB
SantaBarbarian

my dad has a jacket that he wore fishing everyday when we owed our boat, it had a co2 charge in the poket and it blew up, we only went fishing and that saved his life once when we sank about a mile off san miguel at richardsons rock GWS heaven BTW, if it saved his life and we werent even divng, i can only imagine how handy that would come in if having truble under water 50 feet, just an idea of how shit happens on the water????
seabasshunterSB is offline   Reply With Quote