Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
KINGFISHGH

New member reach out OC MD

Just signed up as a new member:

I am new to spearfishing but not new to the water, Boater fisherman whole life, certified diver for 23 years, vacation diving mostly all over Caribbean, Mexico, Belize, Galapagos, and Australia.

I have a place in OC MD. since the Fall and have a 23 foot WA with dual engines and have done some minimal off shore fishing. From Baltimore so spent most of my time dragging, chumming, casting, live lining in the Chesapeake from the Susquehanna to Point Look out. Also have multiple kayaks.

Heard there was some talk about a club formation in OC MD by Matt Turner at Pirates Scuba. Anyone know about that?

Interested in:
Diving off shore on wrecks with commercial company at first
Free diving at jetty at OC MD, IRI Del. , I know them well from rock hopping and backing down off the rocks for many years.

Also wondering about bridge pilings at Route 90 bridge in Assawomen Bay. 50 bridge has always seemed like an underwater death trap.

Anyway let me know what I should know or if anyone wants to hit some of these spots together.

Thanks
Kingfishgh
KINGFISHGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
JoshKaptur

Re: New member reach out OC MD

Hey Kingfish, I'm in a similar situation (though no house in OCMD). Live in the Annapolis area.

Have 24 foot CC, have been fishing the chesapeake hard since 2007 (mostly light tackle jigging for rockfish), and have gotten the bluewater buzz. We've done about a dozen mako/dolphin/tuna trips in the past 2 years with some success. Took up spearfishing in better waters about 2 years ago, and have speared some mahi off of lobster balls by the canyons.

I freedive only but would be very happy to buddy up with you at the jetties, bridges, etc. With quality rockfish harder and harder to find in my local waters, I'm thinking 2014 may be the year of the tog. I also want to do more spearing at CBBT and the towers off of VA Beach this year.

Viz is unpredictable out of OCMD. I'm told Lewis jetties can be a little more reliable, and I know some near-shore structure outside the mouth of the delaware that can be a little better than the surf.

I travel 4 days a week, but generally can be flexible on Fridays and weekends. Definitely check out the videos on BigMike's youtube page... never met him in person but he's done the best job of anyone I know documenting the local near shore spearing opportunities:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigmike0601?feature=watch
JoshKaptur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
fishfan

There are some great spots in OC and not too far out of the inlet.
Matt is no longer in the area and is a great guy and one hell of a diver. He's the one who got me into spearing. I'm in Baltimore too, any time you want to meet up for a beer, let me know!

Welcome to the board!
Old 03-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
KINGFISHGH

Fishfan:

Would like to have a beer and swap fish stories when you have time. my phone number is 410-591-5184.

George

Kingfishgh
Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
JoshKaptur

^^^ I'm in for a Maryland spearos happy hour. I could probably drag 2 others there.
JoshKaptur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
KINGFISHGH

Sounds good to me. I can meet after work downtown or live north of city but will meet wherever you and others want.

Thanks
George
Old 03-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
fishfan

PM sent with my name and number.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
Keldon

Get if you guys have room, my wife and I are in. We're Cali transplants out here for work. I am still a member of the Monterey Bay Tritons and would love to hook up with other spearos. Here in Maryland.
Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote