Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #2686
grey2112

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

BTW that shot on the grouper was over 20 feet away - testament to the power of the Hammer gun
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #2687
R.Boonfield

Wow...that pic of the dusky. To me, that dusky is identical to a bull. How do you tell them apart?
R.Boonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #2688
Seal Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Some video from Monday, including lots of hogs and some shark action.

http://youtu.be/w3EwPhUivEI
1:05 in, peck fins straight down!

That wasn't the same shark I saw, the dorsal fin is huge compared to the one I encountered. It wasn't a dusky either. Need to study up.
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #2689
Seal Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Boonfield View Post
Wow...that pic of the dusky. To me, that dusky is identical to a bull. How do you tell them apart?
Some of the other more experienced guys can chime in but I usually look for a head that blends into what I call strong shoulders and not an overly large dorsal fin. The scientists will point to the size and arrangement of anal fins, number of gills, location of peck fins in relation to dorsal, etc. Charley is probably correct, just start with what is known to be indigenous and you can eliminate some of the granular details. Also understand sharks travel thousands of miles a year, sometimes a 100 miles a day, so we do get the occasional white or reef shark as well.

While I am not convinced the Sharkshield works (meaning 100%), it likely does provide a new sensation to a shark they are not accustomed to. And while not as effective as say a 12-gauge or pepper spray on a bear it likely bought Eric, carrying a stringer of fish, some time; enough time through cautious curiosity that the first encounter was nose to nose. Sharks are cautious and prefer coming up under prey. If unable to come from bellow and make a test bump, test bite (surfer at rest) or all out attack (a guy in a sea kayak) they will then resort to circling the prey. The circle continues until a run is made at which point, from my experience, a test bump is made. As mentioned by someone else, that's a good time for a speartip to the nose. One of the smarter divers we go with leaves his stringer on the ledge or in the sand unless he is transiting to a new spot.

Nevertheless, the video is enough for me to believe that the Shield does buy one enough time to potentially capture the stalk vs receiving an unanticipated attack from behind, that's the investment.

I try to remind myself, I'm on life support and it's an apex predator. If it does go into a frenzy and attack I will likely never fly an airliner again, that would be an expensive hogfish. A small reef shark all the way to a white can medically end a career rather quickly.

My .02

Last edited by Seal Rock; 03-31-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #2690
rowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal Rock View Post
Some of the other more experienced guys can chime in but I usually look for a head that blends into what I call strong shoulders and not an overly large dorsal fin. The scientists will point to the size and arrangement of anal fins, number of gills, location of peck fins in relation to dorsal, etc. Charley is probably correct, just start with what is known to be indigenous and you can eliminate some of the granular details. Also understand sharks travel thousands of miles a year, sometimes a 100 miles a day, so we do get the occasional white or reef shark as well.

While I am not convinced the Sharkshield works (meaning 100%), it likely does provide a new sensation to a shark they are not accustomed to. And while not as effective as say a 12-gauge or pepper spray on a bear it likely bought Eric, carrying a stringer of fish, some time; enough time through cautious curiosity that the first encounter was nose to nose. Sharks are cautious and prefer coming up under prey. If unable to come from bellow and make a test bump, test bite (surfer at rest) or all out attack (a guy in a sea kayak) they will then resort to circling the prey. The circle continues until a run is made at which point, from my experience, a test bump is made. As mentioned by someone else, that's a good time for a speartip to the nose. One of the smarter divers we go with leaves his stringer on the ledge or in the sand unless he is transiting to a new spot.

Nevertheless, the video is enough for me to believe that the Shield does buy one enough time to potentially capture the stalk vs receiving an unanticipated attack from behind, that's the investment.

I try to remind myself, I'm on life support and it's an apex predator. If it does go into a frenzy and attack I will likely never fly an airliner again, that would be an expensive hogfish. A small reef shark all the way to a white can medically end a career rather quickly.

My .02
The shark shield has been proven time and time agian and thus far has not been 1 single attack (as I am aware). Simply having the shark circle me vs attacking from behind is enough for me, as I can easily scare off the shark. But when I have 20" rows of shark teeth on my ass there isn't much I can do.
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #2691
grey2112

I agree with Rich (SealRock) that I think the SS buys you some time and keeps you from getting the "surprise butt-sex" from a shark. Going to keep using it, especially in crap viz.

PS - I usually carry my stringer on my BC until I see a shark, then it transfers to my offhand. Only issue I've seen with laying your stringer down is it allows for a shark or jewfish to wander off with it, as has happened to a few people I know.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:22 PM   #2692
Seal Rock

Quote:
I agree with Rich (SealRock) that I think the SS buys you some time and keeps you from getting the "surprise butt-sex" from a shark. Going to keep using it, especially in crap viz.

PS - I usually carry my stringer on my BC until I see a shark, then it transfers to my offhand. Only issue I've seen with laying your stringer down is it allows for a shark or jewfish to wander off with it, as has happened to a few people I know.

Lol when Rhett tied his stringer off to my anchor chain and a Ruckus had its first tug-a-war with a Goliath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #2693
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal Rock View Post
Lol when Rhett tied his stringer off to my anchor chain and a Ruckus had its first tug-a-war with a Goliath.

LOL - I think the reason I'm afraid to let go of my stringer is I'd never be able to find it again if I went off chasing fish.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #2694
jbsrq

Saturday 11/11 in 35' off Sarasota vis was about 8'-10'. Wanted to run deeper but the east wind was cranking and my brother and I didn't want the girls to be too miserable in the boat while we were diving. Some sheepshead and mangroves home. Also managed a good sized cobia for the depth.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B28...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by jbsrq; 11-14-2017 at 09:38 AM.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #2695
grey2112

Nice cobia! I've only seen one all year and he was too small.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #2696
jbsrq

Wind looks to have let up, anyone get out the last couple days?
Old 11-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #2697
xpuddlepirate
Sunrise

Send a message via AIM to xpuddlepirate
Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Went west out of CLW in 45'. Vis was 15'.

xpuddlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:06 PM   #2698
grey2112

What is the fish on the right?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #2699
rowow

Quote:
What is the fish on the right?
Yellow jack

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/fi...-bartholomaei/
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #2700
jbsrq

Looks like a yellow jack but I didn't think we had them over here and have never seen one