Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-15-2018, 02:21 AM   #16
Mikel_24

Re: WTF is wrong with gun manufacturers???

I think, as other have stated already, that it is just a matter of numbers. You don't put together a gun for ONE spearo, but for as big as a market as you want. And depending on what you want to shoot and your personal prefferences, you may preffer one configuration or another.

However, I understand what you are talking about. I had a friend of mine buy a Cressi Sub gun and I started fixing stuff as soon as it arrived. Note I don't say tweaking, but FIXING. And by fixing I mean that the mono crips were so bad that I pulled the mono out using only my hands (and I am no Hulk). All the holes in the shaft needed polishing and the flopper was not tuned (but I haven't found a single flopper properly tuned from factory). But it is a 100€ gun, not $1000
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:18 AM   #17
sharpshooter

I have a Koah Battle Axe 58 and 3 friends bought the same after trying mine. They all worked great right of the box. Only, thing different is band length. I work out and do a few different lat exercises. So, my bands are a little shorter and harder to load. John even has a video on his website showing how to properly make and set up the gun for line shaft. Love the way, I can go from free shaft to line in a few seconds for fish in deep holes or cracks or AJs.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #18
Red Tide

** Some Assembly required
Every gun can be fine tuned to the user's style and water conditions. Out of the box some guns shoot better than others because their default rigging set up is based on some type of testing. The more power a gun has the more important the shaft, bands, balance, and handle become. Just like a race car every track and every driver is different. To get the last .o1 out of it everything must be optimized.
There are plenty of great commercial divers that shoot thousands of fish a year using caveman guns with caveman set ups. They can out shoot any pool tester and leave you scratching your head how they do it. Learn how to be a better hunter and any gun will shoot better.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:07 AM   #19
Mendicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tide View Post
There are plenty of great commercial divers that shoot thousands of fish a year using caveman guns with caveman set ups.

There are commercial divers shooting fish?

And what sort of caveman guns are we talking about? Are they made of stone?
Old 06-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #20
BenGreen

Many good points here, guess it also depends on your target species, for me that's WSB and YT. Maybe I have just been unlucky with the original setups or maybe I am just asking too much. The more I learn about guns the more I see how sub-par many top brands are and too bad I had to dish out a few thousand bucks due to my ignorance, but lesson learned. Anyway, the search for the perfect gun to suit my needs continues.
BenGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #21
VangysWay

I think if there's anything to be said about this subject, I find it odd that manufacturers still supply there guns with 16mm bands, when it seems to be pretty consistent at this point that that 14mm small id bands give the best performance...
Old 06-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #22
Xylophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by VangysWay View Post
I think if there's anything to be said about this subject, I find it odd that manufacturers still supply there guns with 16mm bands, when it seems to be pretty consistent at this point that that 14mm small id bands give the best performance...
I think that's because it's only really been proven to people who keep track. Any random Joe Shmo that walks in somewhere without any foreknowledge will think bigger is better. One of my buddies bought a "customized" 95cm cressi geronimo from a dive shop that was rigged with 3 16mm bands on a 7mm shaft. My friend swore by it, talking about how awesome it was, you could tell by the recoil. That was until I tied him 2 new 14mm small id bands @ 370%.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #23
dctrjayyy

Ulusub, Abellan, Oceanborn. You can mod them when you get them but likely won't need to unless you are worried about an inch of movement at the end of the shooting line.
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #24
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tide View Post
** Some Assembly required
Every gun can be fine tuned to the user's style and water conditions. Out of the box some guns shoot better than others because their default rigging set up is based on some type of testing. The more power a gun has the more important the shaft, bands, balance, and handle become. Just like a race car every track and every driver is different. To get the last .o1 out of it everything must be optimized.
There are plenty of great commercial divers that shoot thousands of fish a year using caveman guns with caveman set ups. They can out shoot any pool tester and leave you scratching your head how they do it. Learn how to be a better hunter and any gun will shoot better.
Probably the best post ever in the history of spearboard regarding gear.
If you look at the guns in all the really good commercial shooter videos there is a definite tendency towards simplicity.My caveman gun was a 54 LTD AB Biller with a 6" ballasted butt extension shooting 60" 5/16" shafts and JBL paralyzer tips.
When it sadly sank on the Aunt T it had shot roughly $900K dock value of fish in 13 years and was going to be retired when I got it to a million.The guns my buddies use are even more primitive home assembled pipe guns.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #25
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Smile Re: WTF is wrong with gun manufacturers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
Probably the best post ever in the history of spearboard regarding gear.
If you look at the guns in all the really good commercial shooter videos there is a definite tendency towards simplicity.My caveman gun was a 54 LTD AB Biller with a 6" ballasted butt extension shooting 60" 5/16" shafts and JBL paralyzer tips.
When it sadly sank on the Aunt T it had shot roughly $900K dock value of fish in 13 years and was going to be retired when I got it to a million.The guns my buddies use are even more primitive home assembled pipe guns.
Tony,

My condolences on the loss of your commercial vessel.

I read a recent Jacksonville news media story about the Aunt T sinking and your awesome preparation that made the rescue easy.

But, I did not share it until you revealed that it happened as you have now done.

Will you post your account of this tragedy soon?

I am sure the story will be very interesting to the diving community.

Tony
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote