Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
kehloken

Freedivers suck down to their death

This report came out after which reveals that one of the Freedivers in the boat recalled what happened.
I dive in areas of extreme current and there's a lot of downdrafts that are common. One things for sure when there's a full moon these down currents are overwhelming. A few times I had to air up and kick in a direction to trying get out of it.
I just couldn't imagine free diving and getting caught in something like these guys did.

They call what appears to be like the California lobster crayfish and that's what they were night diving for.
In the first reports that came out they were saying the diving conditions were great.
http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/free...#axzz42n4y2SwO
Old 03-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
kehloken

Re: Freedivers suck down to their death

As I read the thread on this forum downdrafts are around that area. Some mention they were in it before on scuba. And a couple scuba divers died from it.

When you go to a new area you sure need to know what the diving conditions are.
http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/free...pic116473.html
Old 03-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
Mullins

Clarified by the police as plain old misreporting. No such conditions present. Thanks, NZ media.

We get some big currents and there are down currents in some known spots, but overall very rare.
Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
kehloken

Looks like there is a concern, now of course I still sling my Scuba unit over my head, but I mainly solo dive Therefore no one is behind me. I don't know about over there but I know here they don't teach that method anymore. http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/nat...ber-of-deaths/