Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
Adelito

Re: Spearfishing and Freediving Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkerBuster View Post
i like to use a snorkel while doing some treadmill work...limits my o2 and makes for better hypoxia control...
...apnea walks (on grass of course)...
..yoga...

and swimming laps in the pool...i like to go 25m apnea,25m breast stroke normal swimming breathing technique, then grab the snorkel and do 50 m with the snorkel.

that is one lap...i do 2- 5 depending on how beat i am from work
you want a gym partner? i would like to try that, except i wouldnt daré to it alone !!!! lol

rescue swimmers do this in varios articles i have read
Old 10-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #17
sacha58

Well the best way I found to make my short dives seem longer, is to have a good dinner , a bottle of wine and a cigar the evening before...............
Otherwise any kind of training is OK , improving one's aerobic capacity, anaerobic resistance and leg stamina, while keeping relaxed is the trick.
Ok I'll go to half a bottle of wine

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #18
Adelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha58 View Post
Well the best way I found to make my short dives seem longer, is to have a good dinner , a bottle of wine and a cigar the evening before...............
Otherwise any kind of training is OK , improving one's aerobic capacity, anaerobic resistance and leg stamina, while keeping relaxed is the trick.
Ok I'll go to half a bottle of wine
absolutely nothing wrong with that....I adhere to this regimen, ribeye, Malbec, and a #50 ligero from legendario.....
Old 10-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
HALF-BREED
Honor the Water

I do alot of cross training on the bleachers
HALF-BREED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #20
blueh2oboy
Professional Snorkeller

Yep so in the midst of this work out schedule of mine I did a little variation and incorporated it into my work.
Today on my 700 ft Ship that I am working on, in the shipyard we are getting ready to close up all the ballast tanks that were worked on and as the head honcho onboard it is my resposibility to make sure they did the job we paid them $12.5 million to do, correctly and didn't leave any crap behind to clog up my pumps when I have 40 foot seas in a few weeks in the South Indian Ocean and I'm trying to ballast the ship to keep her afloat.
Anyways...
So I have to climb down into a 1.5x2ft wide oval opening 6 stories, with no ventilation, in the dark with only a flashlight, then crawl another 100 feet and pass through 8 more openings that are the same dimension. There is about 2 inches of water at the bottom mixed with river mud, rust and all kinds of fun stuff. Did I mention it is 105 degrees? With about 110% humidity? We are in Singapore so it isn't exactly the dead of winter.
I'm wearing coveralls, fall protection harness, flashlight, gas detector(make sure there is enough oxygen in there and not any explosive gases) and sweating my ass off like nothing else. It takes about 10 minutes to wriggle my way all the way to the back of each one and another 15+ to get out and climg the 6 stories on the ladder back up to fresh air and life.
I take about 5 minutes to catch my breath, cuss out the shipyard workers for leaving a sledgehammer, 2 brooms, 40 ft of plastic venitilation and a work glove in the bottom of the damn tank 4 compartments back, take a swig of water and head down into the next one.
Repeat 20 times and you have half of the day wrapped up and you are ready to take lunch and then attack Tanks 11-20 Port and Starboard after the sun has had a chance to heat it up a bit more.
Ughhh.
It sucked. I think I dropped about 5 lbs in a few hours and at the end of the day I felt like someone had beat me with metal pipes.
Sailing the high seas on a Merchant ship is not all sunsets and dolphins on the bow with boat drinks in hand. Today was a bitch but Im writing it off as Cross-training for our Adventure next month

www.Spearblog.com Stories, videos, how-to, pictures, and all out spearfishing lies from Cameron Kirkconnell

Team Riffe
SaltLife

www.youtube.com/user/cameronkirkconnell
blueh2oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #21
zeN

Apnea training during aerobic exercise like jogging? Sounds detrimental to your health, I would like to see the science behind this
zeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:23 AM   #22
rtdean
Saltybones1

Send a message via AIM to rtdean

blueh2oboy. . . Well. . .I can't think of a whole lot more CLAUSTROPHOBIC things to do! Makes "Dirty Jobs" seem like a total cakewalk. . .ya need to drag Mike Rowe down there with ya next time. . .now THAT would be quite a show!!!

BTW, nicely written!

Rick

www.saltybones.com - Hardcore Diving & Fishing Apparel
rtdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #23
drew5546

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeN View Post
Apnea training during aerobic exercise like jogging? Sounds detrimental to your health, I would like to see the science behind this
Its only dangerous in that if you blackout while running, it hurts...
In my research, there are really two goals when training for freediving - 1. increasing you cardiopulmonary capacities 2. increasing the efficiency of o2 utilization and your tolerance for co2 in your blood. Running in apnea is comparable to dynamic apnea in a pool, and it is crucial for goal number 2. From what I've read it is important to do intervals and "fartlek" style workouts in apnea so your body can adapt to functioning with increased co2 and lactic acid rather that just doing dynamic apneas for as long as possible repeatedly and getting the body accustomed to these toxins, for this increases the risk of swb's apparently.
I'm not the best freediver in the world and I am not friends with him either, but I do alot of research before I devote my efforts to things, and from everything I've seen, it seems a pretty good way to train.
However, you have been doing this alot longer than me so feel free to give me advice, I'm open to suggestions. I'm kind of addicted to training for things anyways so I love a new workout plan...
drew5546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #24
zeN

Drew
I'm not one of the pro freedivers on the board, just a spearfisherman,
I'm not up on the latest sports science with apnea training,
I just wasn't aware people were running while holding their breath
Seems like a way to damage your body, but then again I haven't seen the science on it, seems strange to me
I'll defer to the pros on this one

zeN
zeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #25
Adelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeN View Post
Drew
I'm not one of the pro freedivers on the board, just a spearfisherman,
I'm not up on the latest sports science with apnea training,
I just wasn't aware people were running while holding their breath
Seems like a way to damage your body, but then again I haven't seen the science on it, seems strange to me
I'll defer to the pros on this one

zeN
well, you are damaging your body, but in an effort to control or minimize the damage your body adapts. I am sure few of us are as athletic as this guy doing 3-5mile runs in addition to controlled breathing, and other excercise. But we can all safely do a similar workout by walking or biking . Good thing about our sport you can make it as serious or as slack as you want.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #26
Adelito

I like what your saying here, this stuff is alittle farther along than beginners training.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5546 View Post
Its only dangerous in that if you blackout while running, it hurts...
In my research, there are really two goals when training for freediving - 1. increasing you cardiopulmonary capacities 2. increasing the efficiency of o2 utilization and your tolerance for co2 in your blood. Running in apnea is comparable to dynamic apnea in a pool, and it is crucial for goal number 2. From what I've read it is important to do intervals and "fartlek" style workouts in apnea so your body can adapt to functioning with increased co2 and lactic acid rather that just doing dynamic apneas for as long as possible repeatedly and getting the body accustomed to these toxins, for this increases the risk of swb's apparently.
I'm not the best freediver in the world and I am not friends with him either, but I do alot of research before I devote my efforts to things, and from everything I've seen, it seems a pretty good way to train.
However, you have been doing this alot longer than me so feel free to give me advice, I'm open to suggestions. I'm kind of addicted to training for things anyways so I love a new workout plan...
Old 10-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #27
drew5546

Thanks Adelito! I am indeed a beginner at freediving and I welcome all advice and suggestions because you guys are the experts. I'm just getting to the point where I'm not ashamed of my freediving ability, and I have a long way to go before I am actually proud of it.
As for cardiovascular fitness, muscular fitness, diet, and weight loss/weight gain, I am an expert. And I am happy to offer my advice to anyone who wants it.
drew5546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #28
rtdean
Saltybones1

Send a message via AIM to rtdean

I've been doing daily apnea training, both with O2, CO2 tables in static apnea, at my computer, plus, walking on the beach for an hour, in soft sand (in case I blackout). Last night I tried the apnea running and like it a lot. . .will prolly change to this, from the walking. . .will see how it goes. For my ventilations and purges, I keep walking the whole time, when not running, which makes both of them less effective, but that is my goal. . .to do it the hard way and push my body hard. I don't actually stop but twice. . .I found a lifeguard stand to lean against and do "more proper" static apnea twice, with some more proper ventilations and purges .. .one at the turn around, and again at the finish. . .just to see what happens. It's fun, to me, to experiment with different training regimens.

Rick

www.saltybones.com - Hardcore Diving & Fishing Apparel
rtdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #29
elosak
'Spear and Release...'

My favorite training exercise has been 50m sprints in pools... 25 underwater/ 25 all out sprint. Give yourself little recovery, then go again! When you cant quite get the 25 underwater pop up for air and just sprint some more. I swear that helps my lung capacity better than anything, oh that and 400 miles a week on the bike
elosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #30
Renejr83
Freediving is Life!!

I have to agree w/ Elosak on the swimming, its helpd me alot as well. I like to combine that with sprinting/jogging alternating days. I really like the swimming because u can push yourself without the impact of sprinting.
Renejr83 is offline   Reply With Quote