Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

View Poll Results: What kind of line do you use?
Monofilament 73 61.86%
Spectra 16 13.56%
Dyneema 18 15.25%
Kevlar 4 3.39%
Other 12 10.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #91
artiz

Re: Best Spearfishing Line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreediveCA View Post
No need to apologize. I figured you were messing, but wanted to make sure I didn't come off as quizzing you so added that at the end. Do you get enough give with the braid to fully ditch the bungie/shock cord? That would be cool. I like a good amount of give to avoid tear offs, but never considered such a knot. I know what you mean with the creep. I tried experimenting with some knots for my wishbones and no matter how pretty I made the knots they started slipping. It was the ugly knots that slipped less or not at all.
I do think I have now managed to get that balance just right in the last couple of days so next weather window I'll find out.
This is probably the most reliable wishbone knot... also a careful little end burn should stop any creep whatsoever.

Last edited by artiz; 06-10-2016 at 05:43 PM.
artiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #92
aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiz View Post
You said "I prefer dynemma and will continue to use it but find it pretty tough to imagine them being on par in terms of ease of use."

I haven't got a clue what you mean so you'd best tell us more?
Why I like Dynemma.

Better shaft penetration due to less drag.
Will maintain it's integrity when nicked- unlike mono.
gm for gm it's stronger.
Less likely to break when dragged through reef
Simple knots, no crimping needed.

Why I don't like Dynemma

Tends to tangle easier than mono. Mono has memory, is stiffer and heavier in the water. Get in some current or in with kelp, shoot a fish that wraps in kelp, or be sloppy with line management and you're without doubt more likely to get a tangle. On a side note I had an incident in Australia last summer where the dynemma wrapped a dozen times along the shaft in a spiral fashion. It wasn't a problem just took an extra minute to unravel. This would never happen with mono.

I have a little more experience than say someone just starting out. In the last 100 dives maybe I've had a slight tangle once or twice. For me it isn't a problem. If it's before I surface I have enough time and patience to untangle without panicking. For someone who's brand new that 1 in a 100 might lead to drowning.

This is my opinion, from my experience in the conditions I dive in. I'm not here to argue with anyone. You asked me to clarify so I did.

All the best.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #93
FreediveCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiz View Post
I do think I have now managed to get that balance just right in the last couple of days so next weather window I'll find out.
This is probably the most reliable wishbone knot... also a careful little end burn should stop any creep whatsoever.

If you don't mind report back on how it turns out. That knot for the wishbone looks good. I'm going to give that one a shot. By the way. I have seen your 3d print post. Pretty impressive.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #94
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
Why I like Dynemma.

Better shaft penetration due to less drag.
Will maintain it's integrity when nicked- unlike mono.
gm for gm it's stronger.
Less likely to break when dragged through reef
Simple knots, no crimping needed.

Why I don't like Dynemma

Tends to tangle easier than mono. Mono has memory, is stiffer and heavier in the water. Get in some current or in with kelp, shoot a fish that wraps in kelp, or be sloppy with line management and you're without doubt more likely to get a tangle. On a side note I had an incident in Australia last summer where the dynemma wrapped a dozen times along the shaft in a spiral fashion. It wasn't a problem just took an extra minute to unravel. This would never happen with mono.

I have a little more experience than say someone just starting out. In the last 100 dives maybe I've had a slight tangle once or twice. For me it isn't a problem. If it's before I surface I have enough time and patience to untangle without panicking. For someone who's brand new that 1 in a 100 might lead to drowning.

This is my opinion, from my experience in the conditions I dive in. I'm not here to argue with anyone. You asked me to clarify so I did.

All the best.
All good... no offence intended... you say Tomaito... (hang on maybe you really are an Aussie which would be T'marrto) I say Tomaato... more experience's, discussion and info on here means everyone's a winner...

P.S. what the hell are you doing in kelp... stay away from that stuff its bloody dangerous... especially for those diving with only one knife

Last edited by artiz; 06-10-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:10 AM   #95
spearq8

I like lines that can be crimped ... mainly because a knot gets way too big. I guess if you would get hollow dyneema you could reverse braid a loop for a seamless and very streamlined knotless loop ... but that stuff gets tangled very easily.

I have had a lot of success using Head Fibergel tennis racket string ... stuff is amazing. Is only like 1.3mm and can be crimped and is basically mono with some added fibers. For shafts 7mm or lighter, it really is a game changer as it keeps those light shafts at high velocity all the way to the end of 2 wraps. I wouldn't shoot large tuna with it, but with a 7mm shaft and smaller diameters you usually are going for smaller fish. The fibers really help give the line some extra protection on reefs and other sharp objects.

Another line I really like is the Twinline kevlar line coated in PVC. It is 400lb kevlar dipped in PVC ... that stuff also acts just like mono but is extremely abrasion resistant. I have had large dogtooth tuna wrap around sharp coral where I was unable to get the fish out because it was too deep. When I went down with scuba to get the shaft and fish you could tell there was a titanic struggle as the PVC coating was shredded ... but the line held firm and was able to recover both the fish and shaft. Even 500lb mono would not have lasted more than a few seconds. I use a crimp for that line also. Unfortunately this stuff will no longer be manufactured and I am going to stock up on it... but really that idea should be developed. Kevlar can take extreme heat and if they would make that line in say 600lb and then use the ability to withstand high heat to coat it with something more durable than PVC ... it would still be about 1.8mm and would be the ultimate spearfishing line! As it is the 400lb stuff with the PVC works well but you need to change it often. I am going to see if I can get someone to manufacture something like that.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #96
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I like lines that can be crimped ... mainly because a knot gets way too big. I guess if you would get hollow dyneema you could reverse braid a loop for a seamless and very streamlined knotless loop ... but that stuff gets tangled very easily.

I have had a lot of success using Head Fibergel tennis racket string ... stuff is amazing. Is only like 1.3mm and can be crimped and is basically mono with some added fibers. For shafts 7mm or lighter, it really is a game changer as it keeps those light shafts at high velocity all the way to the end of 2 wraps. I wouldn't shoot large tuna with it, but with a 7mm shaft and smaller diameters you usually are going for smaller fish. The fibers really help give the line some extra protection on reefs and other sharp objects.

Another line I really like is the Twinline kevlar line coated in PVC. It is 400lb kevlar dipped in PVC ... that stuff also acts just like mono but is extremely abrasion resistant. I have had large dogtooth tuna wrap around sharp coral where I was unable to get the fish out because it was too deep. When I went down with scuba to get the shaft and fish you could tell there was a titanic struggle as the PVC coating was shredded ... but the line held firm and was able to recover both the fish and shaft. Even 500lb mono would not have lasted more than a few seconds. I use a crimp for that line also. Unfortunately this stuff will no longer be manufactured and I am going to stock up on it... but really that idea should be developed. Kevlar can take extreme heat and if they would make that line in say 600lb and then use the ability to withstand high heat to coat it with something more durable than PVC ... it would still be about 1.8mm and would be the ultimate spearfishing line! As it is the 400lb stuff with the PVC works well but you need to change it often. I am going to see if I can get someone to manufacture something like that.
Outstanding post... now we're 'cooking'... Spearit promote a couple of Kevlar lines (non-crimp) which look interesting... what do you think of these spearq8... having never actually tried Kevlar I'm definitely interested. There's some good info on the spearit site too... well worth a read...

Last edited by artiz; 06-11-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #97
Charliex

I feed 80lbs mono through 1.7 mm hollow braid spectra and either splice with a locking stitch or crimp. I get the stiffness from the mono and abrasion resistance from the spectra plus the spectra has better grip.
Charliex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:08 PM   #98
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

~~ Checkout ULUSUB, They sell Kevlar sheathed Mono. And the best spear guns on Planet Earth.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:56 PM   #99
renepotvin

I when from spectra to only nylon because the fish "bounces" at the end of it. Keep them from tearing.

Http://www.renepotvin.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/potvinr
Do subscribe, i'll subscribe back
renepotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:42 PM   #100
Behslayer

Does nylon float or sink?
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:43 AM   #101
hydroid