Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-20-2017, 12:25 AM   #1
Ater22

belt reel

Anyone ever used a belt reel? opinions?
Ater22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
Bob Ballew

Re: belt reel

bad karma....not a safe way to do the sport....imagine a tangle around a weight, while at 40' hooked up with a big fish, heading down for deeper water....and, of course, the wrap will be over the release buckle when it occurs.....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Ater22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
bad karma....not a safe way to do the sport....imagine a tangle around a weight, while at 40' hooked up with a big fish, heading down for deeper water....and, of course, the wrap will be over the release buckle when it occurs.....
I couldn't imagine someone hooking up a belt reel while they were 40ft below. It's meant to give you more line if you get spooled with your gun reel at the surface. It makes sense to me and I cant see how it's anymore dangerous than a regular reel
Old 06-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Bob Ballew

In that case, a belt Co2 float snap on would be a safer way to go...snap on, let the rig go and chase down the float....to each their own, but, I never want reel line anywhere close to my weight belt....in all liklihood, you will get spooled while down immediately after shooting a big one you can't stop....as far as tuna, they will spool you in seconds and you sure as hell do not want to be attached to a 100 pound bluefin....my choice would be a surface line/float, with back up 2nd line and 2nd float on the end....then, every thing goes free of your gun, weight belt and you.....to me, the safety issue is the problem with attached reels.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
Ater22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
In that case, a belt Co2 float snap on would be a safer way to go...snap on, let the rig go and chase down the float....to each their own, but, I never want reel line anywhere close to my weight belt....in all liklihood, you will get spooled while down immediately after shooting a big one you can't stop....as far as tuna, they will spool you in seconds and you sure as hell do not want to be attached to a 100 pound bluefin....my choice would be a surface line/float, with back up 2nd line and 2nd float on the end....then, every thing goes free of your gun, weight belt and you.....to me, the safety issue is the problem with attached reels.
Solid advice. Thanks
Old 06-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
RBainer

belt reels work very well especially with a neptonics quick release so you can dump the reel if you have to and and not you belt and weights

FII. Level 2 Cert
50M Diver
RBainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:22 PM   #7
norcalsurfer

What's wrong with a reel on a gun?
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:57 AM   #8
Ater22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsurfer View Post
What's wrong with a reel on a gun?
Nothing? Who said there's something wrong with it?
Old 06-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
rysgates

floatline
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
=___________________________________________
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllll````````/
///////\ |
//////----
/////
rysgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

Belt reels are very common in South Africa and Australia and we've recently seen a big jump in sales in Florida of our universal belt reel. Of course it's there purely as a backup and can be a lifesaver or at the very least save yourself from losing all your gear.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
growingupninja
Lance

Somewhere on this board is an older thread about a quick release knot for tying a reel to the shooting line, that Rob Allen 'officially' endorses. I couldn't find it in my search.

Anyway, I have been using it for over a year with good results. It is something between a San Diego jam and a mooring hitch. The beauty of the knot is that it is self tightening and holds well--I've shot fish over 50lbs on a reel with this knot--but it can be opened instantly if you grab the tag end with your teeth and yank, allowing you to ditch your shaft and shooting line if necessary (in the case of reel jam at depth, stuck shaft at depth, or unrecoverable fish). Works with numb fingers and apnea fogged brain. I use it without a swivel on deep guns that are regularly rigged for both reel and floatline, sometimes on the same outing, and I use it for recovering fish in structure or kelp--usually much easier to get the fish, open the knot, and then deal separately with the fish/shooting line/spear and gun/reel/reel line... the knot can be retied very quickly at the surface even with cold hands and gloves.

I will try to find the post and if not I will take pictures of how to tie one...

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote