Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
HaveABeer

Port A trip report from saturday

This was the first time I have been to the gulf and I must say it was pretty disappointing. 1-2 foot visibility at the best of times(cayman 100 was a bit large for this trip). Managed to take 2 sheep saw a small mangrove, but didn't feel it was worth shooting. Tons of people fishing, rats nest of snapped fishing line coating the rocks. Tried going further toward the middle, farther out, further down to no avail....vis just got worse. Tons of large mullet and speckled trout? Was nice to get wet after so long. Probably drive to spi this weekend and see how that goes.
-Paul
HaveABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Powers
Dad

Re: Port A trip report from saturday

Yup. The Jetties are tough. Sometimes you can have 2' viz and then 30' viz on the same day at different tides. It's always worth a look, but often the visibility is crummy. Keep trying and thanks for the report.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
HaveABeer

I did miss the morning high tide...I got in about 10:00 and swam around til about 4:30. 2nd high was at 1:30PM or so.
HaveABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Reel Beast

Yea that blue water just isn't in yet but hopefully soon.

We were offshore 35 miles friday and the water was a murky green maybe 20 foot vis.

Give it at least a month if you are only doing inshore/ shallow diving we will get some good water.
Reel Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Spotswood

At least you didn't go home empty handed, that's something.

I was out there last Tuesday and the vis was 8-10ft on the channel side. Plenty of sheeps and mangroves around but didn't see or shoot anything too exciting. I'm sure it will pick up as we get further into summer.
Spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
whalerboy67

SPI is not looking all that great at the moment but let's hope it changes a bit.
whalerboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
adriangarz1206

20 foot viz at spi jetties last week , managed 3 nice mangroves , viz offshore 8 miles was like 70 ...
adriangarz1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
HOLDFAST
OATH Spearfishing Team

viz was awesome last week, but the barges dumping rocks didnt make it good! I have never seen so many snook! but limitted on mangroves, and sheepheadz! all was good! i love spi this time of year, way better than up this way! aug - dec best times to go in my opinion for nearshore...

www.rigsreefclassicspearfishing.com

https://www.facebook.com/RigsReefClassic/

Salty Soul Taxidermy
https://www.facebook.com/saltysoultaxidermy/

CoOwner
www.gator-gripp.com

Call or Text me anytime 503-298-0592

HOLDFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
los mentirosos
Dave Mote

As teenagers diving the jetties in the 70's we always joked that good viz was when you could count your fingers on an outstretched hand. I think I saw viz in excess of 5 to 7 feet one time during those years. We were 40 miles offshore last weekend and it was still green. A pretty green but not that azure blue I'm waiting on. Give it time it will be here.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
agbiv
Spear, cook, and eat fish

Been hunting those same jetties since the 70's too--when we were transferred back from PCB. ALWAYS carried gear when we went but disappointed 90% of the time! My Dad still teases me because I take my gear just hoping.... although I check NTU & wind now. At the N Jetty, when I was 13--shot a 24" Snook by mistake--stoned it. Dad freaked when I brought it to the boat! Stuck a hook in its mouth and threw it in the box just in case GW checked-didn't. I will never forget the toungue lashing from 40 years ago. Don't know how he'd have explained the big hole in the side of the fish though. I learned to identify and then shoot from that experience! Lots of flounder in the sand next to the rocks too at the right time of the year. And if your game for a fight--shoot a black drum.