Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2006 Tournament Archives > The Southern Open State Championship 2006

The Southern Open State Championship 2006 Check here for threads about the Southern Open. Links to forms, info, etc.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Thumbs up Summarized Results..........

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/06/27/Sp...g_report.shtml

Just found this. Not sure who lined up the newspaper coverage, but Thanks!
Screen Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
ScottZeagle
www.Zeagle.com

Send a message via Yahoo to ScottZeagle
Re: Summarized Results..........

That's great!

Nice to see that Dean Phillips got an honorable mention in there as well!! It is incredible to me that Dean dove in 60ft of water and put that amount of fish on the scale!!!

Scott
ScottZeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

It's cool that Rick has been reporting the big dive tournament results, in the tournament insider, (his gig.) He recently did the SBO too. Larry Blue never would.

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottZeagle
That's great!

Nice to see that Dean Phillips got an honorable mention in there as well!! It is incredible to me that Dean dove in 60ft of water and put that amount of fish on the scale!!!

Scott

No doubt the new formula put innshore divers on a more equal footing with the offshore guys.IMO
What does everybody else think of the new formula the Southern Open used this year?
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy

I did not dive the Southern Open last year, but I did not see an advantage with diving one area over another. I think it was a great formula and put everyone on equal footing. Nice job!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Carney
It's cool that Rick has been reporting the big dive tournament results, in the tournament insider, (his gig.) He recently did the SBO too. Larry Blue never would.

Chad
I agree! It appears spearfishing is becoming a more accepted sport around the Bay area and around the state thanks to guys who regularly report in the St .pete Times like yourself, Bill Hardman and Ed Walker.
Also a Big Thanks to Terry Tomalin for promoting the sport on occasion as well!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:52 AM   #7
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTaylor
What does everybody else think of the new formula the Southern Open used this year?
Rich:

I thought that the format was very refreshing and helped distinguish the SO from other tournaments. We now have 3 very different major tournaments.

I like the later weigh in time as well. It gives you more diving time to everyone and especially the volunteers who I am sure sacrifice part of their diving day to make sure things run right.

I am not sure what to think about the tie breaker formula. I'm not sure that I understand the underelying theory completely. I also wonder if the same tie breaker is appropriate for resolving ties for overall points and for top fish of a category. I'm not complaining - just giving you my thoughts. I just heard some speculation/misinformation about how the ties would be settled on Saturday night and wondered about it. The system worked, the ties were broken and now everyone knows how they work. Maybe it is best to leave it alone.

Great prize table!

You and Jason did an excellent job on the weigh in! Things went very smoothly as did the tournament as a whole. Great job by John and all the volunteers!

Definitely will be back again next year.

Last edited by kitefisherman; 06-28-2005 at 12:01 PM.
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:11 PM   #8
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Thumbs up Re: Summarized Results..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitefisherman
I am not sure what to think about the tie breaker formula. I'm not sure that I understand the underelying theory completely. I also wonder if the same tie breaker is appropriate for resolving ties for overall points and for top fish of a category.
Basically, the formula says that whoever gets the largest average fish wins.......or, big fish are better. Therefore, to put yourself in the best possible position, get bigger fish.

We used to do tiebreakers by flipping a coin. It kindof stings to lose just by having bad luck.

We rarely have to use this, and I don't recall ever having to use it for first place, or twice for the same person for that matter. The probability of two people having the exact same score seems to be very, very low.

We only have one way of doing it, because even that is confusing enough.

I'm all ears for improvements though. The last thing anyone wants is for somebody to not get a fair shake.

Thanks to everyone for being there. We had a great time! Now, lets go straighten out this mess before we get the largest reduction in recreational fishing in US history.........all based on totally bogus numbers and poor, wasteful management policies.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:59 PM   #9
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen Name
We used to do tiebreakers by flipping a coin. It kindof stings to lose just by having bad luck.

We rarely have to use this, and I don't recall ever having to use it for first place, or twice for the same person for that matter. The probability of two people having the exact same score seems to be very, very low.

We only have one way of doing it, because even that is confusing enough.

I'm all ears for improvements though. The last thing anyone wants is for somebody to not get a fair shake.
John, my only suggestion is to include the tie-breaking method in the rules. I can't recall this being done in any of the tournaments' rules although I could be wrong. I also can't recall a tie like this.

Ties seldom occur, but when they do I think any potential for controversy would be minimized by everyone in advance having a clear understanding of how the matter will be handled versus a bunch of speculation over what ought to be done when the situation arises.

Armando thought that he lost top hogfish Saturday night based upon the rumors and happily discovered that he won Sunday morning. I doubt that you will get any complaints from him.

Thank you for the explanation. I have no issue with how the matter was resolved. I just hope that everyone takes my input on this in the constructive manner that it is intended. It was great tournament, and I don't want to do or say anything to detract from that.

Last edited by kitefisherman; 06-28-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #10
ArmorDave
Spearboard Sponsor

I like the format (formula), but I sure chose the wrong way to accomplish the mission. The time and expense of a MG trip doesn't pay off if you miss the motherload. Next year it will be more wrecks and shallower dives (more bottom time) to try and fill out more catagories.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:15 PM   #11
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitefisherman
Rich:

I thought that the format was very refreshing and helped distinguish the SO from other tournaments. We now have 3 very different major tournaments.

I like the later weigh in time as well. It gives you more diving time to everyone and especially the volunteers who I am sure sacrifice part of their diving day to make sure things run right.

I am not sure what to think about the tie breaker formula. I'm not sure that I understand the underelying theory completely. I also wonder if the same tie breaker is appropriate for resolving ties for overall points and for top fish of a category. I'm not complaining - just giving you my thoughts. I just heard some speculation/misinformation about how the ties would be settled on Saturday night and wondered about it. The system worked, the ties were broken and now everyone knows how they work. Maybe it is best to leave it alone.

Great prize table!

You and Jason did an excellent job on the weigh in! Things went very smoothly as did the tournament as a whole. Great job by John and all the volunteers!

Definitely will be back again next year.

Thanks John!
But The person who deserves the most credit for doing the overwhelming majority of the work should go to John (Screen name) Schmidt.

In addition to volunteers from the SPUC's and Seals, I would like to point out that there were also volunteers from the Sea Bunnies, Tridents, Fins and Rowdies(FSDA member clubs).
Maybe next year we can draft some volunteers from the FSDA's two newest clubs to help put on this fine event for the Spearfishing community as well.

As far as the ties go, I had to get clarification myself since I have not been as heavily involved in this particular tournament until this year.
It certainly was pretty unusual that one guy would be involved in two ties!
Perhaps it would be a good policy to put in the rules for all the tournaments exactly what the tie breaking formula's are but it certainly does add to the drama doesnt it?
In the end, I do believe it was as fair a formula as any other Ive seen.
Thanks for the input!
Old 06-28-2005, 01:35 PM   #12
Spearchucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDave
I like the format (formula), but I sure chose the wrong way to accomplish the mission. The time and expense of a MG trip doesn't pay off if you miss the motherload. Next year it will be more wrecks and shallower dives (more bottom time) to try and fill out more catagories.
Well, I don't think I agree with that, and I did not hit the motherload by any stretch.

Actually, how did the tiebreak work? I never bothered asking, since I won.

I think Armando screwed me
Spearchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:17 PM   #13
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

For your consideration, I think that the tie should go to the competitor that wants it the most. I suggest the following alternative methods of breaking ties:

- Stare off. First one to look away or laugh loses.

- Breath holding contest. First one to quit or pass out loses.

- Whoever can eat the most hot peppers. Start with 3 jalapenos, followed by 3 cayennes, followed by unlimited habeneros. Each sip of water or beer sets you back one pepper. First one that quits or fails to match the other loses.

- Whoever can belch the loudest (or alternatively the longest or most times in a given time period). My money is on AJ.

- Beer funnel contest. Last man standing wins. Alternatively, the first one that has to go to the bathroom loses.

- Roeshambo (South Park style). Coin flip. Winner kicks the loser in the nuts. Loser reciprocates and so on. First one to quit loses. Ladies may have an advantage here although I'm not sure.

- Farting contest (similar to belching contest)

All but the last are sure to be crowd pleasers.

Well that's all I have for now. I have to leave for the Naples grouper meeting.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #14
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Thumbs up Re: Summarized Results..........

Whatever we choose, I agree that it should be in the rules. Its in the WCC rules, but that is the only place. We will fix that.

As soon as we get that fixed, this will never happen again..........primarily because I intend to win all future events by such a large margin that tiebreakers will not be neccesary.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:49 PM   #15
scubachic
ALL HAIL ME

Send a message via AIM to scubachic Send a message via MSN to scubachic Send a message via Yahoo to scubachic
Talking Re: Summarized Results..........

*lol* Nice John!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen Name

Whatever we choose, I agree that it should be in the rules. Its in the WCC rules, but that is the only place. We will fix that.

As soon as we get that fixed, this will never happen again..........primarily because I intend to win all future events by such a large margin that tiebreakers will not be neccesary.

}<((((*> <----- SPEAR IT!!! I KNOW I DO!!!
scubachic is offline   Reply With Quote