Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-10-2017, 01:29 AM   #1
SeaHunter3

Looking for a Dive Light

Im looking for a dive light for lobster/night diving.

I recently moved down to the Newport Beach/Costa Mesa area from Seattle for college and have been trying to get into diving around here, and I'm really interested in lobster diving which I know is often done at night. I never used a dive light up in Washington but I have always wanted one, and this seems like a good excuse to pull the trigger.

I've been looking at the Princeton Tect Torrent, would this be a good choice? Its 330 lumens and has a 30 hour battery life for $50. I saw a flashlight for $30 that has 1000 lumens, but it didnt have any reviews and with what research Ive done the Princeton Tec brand popped up a few times.

Any suggestions?
SeaHunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #2
Ocean

Re: Looking for a Dive Light

check shokwawe 2
Old 01-10-2017, 03:02 AM   #3
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHunter3 View Post
Im looking for a dive light for lobster/night diving.

I recently moved down to the Newport Beach/Costa Mesa area from Seattle for college and have been trying to get into diving around here, and I'm really interested in lobster diving which I know is often done at night. I never used a dive light up in Washington but I have always wanted one, and this seems like a good excuse to pull the trigger.

I've been looking at the Princeton Tect Torrent, would this be a good choice? Its 330 lumens and has a 30 hour battery life for $50. I saw a flashlight for $30 that has 1000 lumens, but it didnt have any reviews and with what research Ive done the Princeton Tec brand popped up a few times.

Any suggestions?
I would suggest either the Princeton Tec League or Torrent. The league was my first light, and the Torrent LED is my current light and I love it! Note that the lanyard on the torrent is kind of short (hard to do grabs with both hands in hole with light on your wrist) so I just tied a loop of dyneema to mine to lengthen it.

These are both Made in USA and have a lifetime warranty. Pretty much if the light ever breaks down on you under normal use their warranty department will send you a new one.

The runtime is great in both, and the lights have never failed me even on my longer 6-7 hour shore dives.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
LookPointShoot

Yeah you'll definitely need a light now that you're down here.

Everyone has different preferences based on the style/grip, size, what kind of bulb...

You should just head over to Spear America and get some good advice, hold them in your hands and decide that way. Asking about any dive gear on the internet is pretty useless.

First of all, everyone has different preferences when it comes to everything. I sometimes joke that Argos booties are the only thing everyone agrees on, and that's actually pretty true.

Second, you'll get a lot of people who will recommend the one they bought, even if they haven't really tried any others. And that's not much help either.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #5
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookPointShoot View Post
I sometimes joke that Argos booties are the only thing everyone agrees on, and that's actually pretty true.
I went diving with a friend of mine in Key West the other day, between 5 divers we all had argos booties.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
Ron S

I have and used the Torrent LED for quite awhile. Not a bad light at all, but last year I got one of these: http://www.neptonicsystems.com/Spear...Dive-Light.php, from Josh at Neptonics. Much smaller than the Torrent and so much brighter it's ridiculous. It runs on only three AAA batteries or one 18650 Lithium Ion.
Rugged as can be, (I do a lot of hole hunting in NorCal with it).
Last July I did some scuba diving in Maui. I used that light for cruising into structure, etc. Little light was amazing!
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:33 PM   #7
Perchunter

http://www.2daydeliver.com/product_d...rdware+Torches

Check this out. Best light I've ever had. Single hand operated, no twisting , 5 to 6hrs battery life , comes with extra o rings, light weight. I use it to spot from the surface and just strap it with my dive glove strap when going for the grab.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
Spearo_beero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchunter View Post

Check this out. Best light I've ever had. Single hand operated, no twisting , 5 to 6hrs battery life , comes with extra o rings, light weight. I use it to spot from the surface and just strap it with my dive glove strap when going for the grab.

Darn! That light is out of stock
Spearo_beero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:42 PM   #9
fishSTICKer916

http://www.lightandmotion.com/choose-your-light/gobe

Best dive lights I ever used. Had a few different Princeton tec lights, didn't like them. The gobe lights are a little pricey. But with stuff like this, you get what you pay for.

I use the 850 wide light.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

Knowledge is Power.
http://www.vimeo.com/2060317

www.Freediveshop.com

www.cristspears.com

fishSTICKer916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
Smash
Monterey Bay Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishSTICKer916 View Post
http://www.lightandmotion.com/choose-your-light/gobe

Best dive lights I ever used. Had a few different Princeton tec lights, didn't like them. The gobe lights are a little pricey. But with stuff like this, you get what you pay for.

I use the 850 wide light.
I just got the same light. It's truly awesome. I've owned a lot of lights over the years and this one is by far the best.

VP, Monterey Bay Tritons
Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

Check out our Neptonics Dive Light, It's nimble, got great battery life and is bomb proof. We also carry a belt pouch to keep it out of the way when you're not using it. Tax free outside of Fl. And 2 day shipping.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #12
iambluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchunter View Post

900 Lumens for $45? Damn nice deal.
iambluesman is offline   Reply With Quote