Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #616
Trentandersn

Re: Utah Visibility Overview (please contribute!)

Has anyone gone to Deer Creek recently?
Trentandersn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #617
bltpyro

Dove deer creek in Willard bay Saturday. Vis only 4-5ft. Had a couple shots on walleye and missed with my pole spear. Really need to practice with that thing! Or just get a shorter gun.

It was pretty warm. With 5mil top and board shorts it was just right.

Last edited by bltpyro; 08-08-2016 at 09:28 PM.
bltpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #618
Colo Hammerhead

I'm headed to Flaming Gorge this weekend with my boat for the first time. Any info, tips, hints or guys that want to dive? I'm not looking for any secret spots, just a little direction would be nice for a newbie on that water. Thanks in advance, Brett.
Colo Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #619
FWFishSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Hammerhead View Post
I'm headed to Flaming Gorge this weekend with my boat for the first time. Any info, tips, hints or guys that want to dive? I'm not looking for any secret spots, just a little direction would be nice for a newbie on that water. Thanks in advance, Brett.
Only been there twice but vis was good at antilope flatts. got some good fish too.
FWFishSlayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #620
Colo Hammerhead

Thanks Ryan. What species and about what depth / structures.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #621
FWFishSlayer

Carp and Smallmouth. Along the cliffs and ledges. With how hot its been i'd expect everything to be shallow. When I was there they were 15-20ish ft
Old 08-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #622
Colo Hammerhead

Excellent. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #623
FWFishSlayer

Anybody been to starvation recently?
Old 09-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #624
Steeltalon

Guys, it looks like someone illegally introduced walleye into Echo....darn
http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/fishing/...s-echo-fishery
Steeltalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #625
naisan

naisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #626
Steeltalon

I want to re-enforce to the rest of you, it is VERY important that IF you shoot walleyes at Echo, you need to take a picture of your walleyes and note where you shoot the fish--in which part of the lake. Please be sure to send your information to the biologist noted in my email correspondence. Some of you might ask, "Why should I care?" Because we are a very small minority in Utah as spearos (150-200) who have to get along with a very active and large group of fisherman in the state (40,000). Some of them DO NOT like the idea that we are spearfishing in Utah waters. Consequently, we need all the "good will" we can get from DWR to counter the fisherman who oppose what we do. Here is the correspondence between me and the biologist at DWR.

Hi Richard,

This is Chris Penne with DWR. It was good talking fish with you today. Just wanted to send you this email as a reminder of our discussion of walleye in Echo. If you're out next spring and early summer and see any walleye bigger than 15", I would be curious to hear about it and even would even be curious to see one of the fish if you are able shoot one. Thanks.

Chris

Chris Penne
Northern Region Assistant Aquatics Program Manager
Aquatic Biologist

Utah Department of Natural Resources
Division of Wildlife Resources
515 East 5300 South
Ogden, Utah 84405
Phone: 801-656-8694
chrispenne@utah.gov

Other information that might help you in this effort:

-I find that Echo is pretty clear (10-20 feet) between April till July. Spawning will probably be in April-May. I will be there at that time.

-Focus your spearfishing near the dam between the rocks. That is where I find the smallmouth bass and some catfish. Consequently, you'll also probably find the walleye. You can fish right up against the dam. Why? The federal government doesn't maintain the lake, so the restriction to fish beyond the buoys doesn't apply to you or I. Yes, I have already spoke to the park rangers about that statement and they confirmed with me that it is "ok" to spearfish right beyond the buoys--contrary to Deer Creek, Starvation etc....

-I suggest you start near the Northeast section of the lake. There is a Yellow Perch school of about 200 that almost always hangs around that area of the lake, and since that is the main food source for Walleye, that is where I believe the large female walleye(s) that were illegally introduced into the lake will be.

-The female(s) that was introduced into Echo has to be at least 4 years old; since, the walleyes that DWR are finding in Echo are 2 years old that are about 15 inches long. That means the females are probably 4-7 ibs. or bigger.

-Please CC the rest of us, if you contact DWR when you get a walleye at Echo. I will do the same for each of you. Why? So we appear educated and informed as a group of spearfisherman. Also, wouldn't you like to know when one of your peers nailed the big one at Echo?

-If you do shoot a bass, please use your head and DON'T put a picture of it or video of it on YouTube. All that does is incite the bass fisherman in the state and create more enemies. We don't need more enemies guys....
Steeltalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:08 AM   #627
FWFishSlayer

Interesting. I dive echo occasionally and have never seen a walleye. Also been all around the northeast part and never seen the perch. I must be doing something wrong here
Thanks for the heads up. I'll pass this along
Old 03-17-2017, 03:42 AM   #628
anywater

World spearfishing event

http://www.freshwaterworlds.com/wp/usa-2017/videos/
Could use a little help promoting this World Spearfishing Event.
Our US team still has opening for women and Juniors and Masters 60+
But our foreign divisions have lots of opening.
Please review the web site above and call me with any questions
I really appreciate the help in passing this on
Mike McGuire
970-216-5902
anywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:21 PM   #629
anywater

Still openings for a few divers in the world Event May 18-19 in Lake Mead Las Vegas.
Opening for women, Master 60+ and Juniors <18
Call quick to get involved www.freshwaterWorlds .com
anywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #630
Maximus_Manimal

Went to Deer Creek on fathers day morning. Visibility was pretty decent, all things considered (probably 8-10 feet). Mostly due to silt churned up from boat wake and zooplankton. Lots of boat traffic (and the accompanying constant propeller whine), and a whole "gaggle" of swimmers with their little floaties and swimming caps went right past me. Water was pretty chilly (mid 50's?) in my 7mm top and I found myself wishing I'd brought my hood.

Saw a few walleye (and brought a few home) but no monsters. Carp were around as always. Most impressive were the numbers of nice small mouth bass, though they were safe since the they can't be taken 'til the end of the month. Saw a few mid-size large mouth, lots of babies though.

Probably the best part was the water level. Deer Creek is at it's high water mark, basically at capacity. It hasn't been this high in many years which means a lot of underwater cover (trees, bushes, logs, rocky cliffs etc). All of these were teaming with various small fish. The walleye were found hunting near these areas. I didn't see anything below about 20' (except perhaps the rapidly vanishing fin of what may have been a trout?), everything was near the top of the water column.

I'm becoming disenchanted with Deer Creek because of the decreasing amount of public shore access (I wish there were other options as close and convenient, maybe it's time to explore Starvation and Echo). They keep annexing more territory into the state parks and fenced off areas, and reducing public access. It's one thing to hike half a mile over steep rocky terrain with a pole and tackle box, it's another thing entirely to hoof it with arms full of fins, dive float, speargun and trucking 20 lbs of lead weight. On the upside, after 4 hours of nearly shivering in the water a bit of a hike in the warm sun felt nice.
Maximus_Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote