Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:18 AM   #16
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Re: Huge Cubera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabeast View Post
Way to blow yourself and shit on others at the same time.. judgemental douchebag. Go F yourself kavachi. People like you ruin(ed) this forum.
thanks for the feedback
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:55 AM   #17
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabeast View Post
How do I know people like him ruined this forum? Because I know/dive with people who used to be very active here.. and one of the things that drove them away was foreign freedivers coming into their threads and shitting on them. They do it in scuba YouTube videos too (proof: https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=181s&v=4kzQqbTbFLc) just check the comments sections. They simply can't resist degrading any achievement that wasn't done freediving.. and I personally have no patience for it, as I've dealt with it for a decade. You can't reason/rationalize with them.. so instead of trying, I simply tell them to 'go F themselves.'

The OP shouldn't be made to feel bad for showing off his catch.. which was taken legally. He did nothing wrong.
We should all be allowed to post whatever our opinions are and just because a person doesn't agree I don't believe that deserves a "go f urself"

I actually think both are fine as long as regs are followed.
It is the OPs "fish of a lifetime" for sure.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:34 AM   #18
Megabeast

So every thread where a scuba diver feels like they shot their fish of a lifetime.. deserves some freediver to come in and attempt to invalidate their catch, bc the scuba diver didn't take it freediving? I completely disagree. I don't go into freediving threads and say, "Ohh wow. You swam down 20 feet and shot a Wahoo (in the ass of course) with a floatline, then played tug-of-war with it for 20 minutes from the surface. Where's the skill in that?"
Old 10-21-2017, 04:08 AM   #19
SubSub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
Maybe there is a better way to say the above without telling another person to "F yourself". How do you know "People like you ruin(ed) this forum? Are you a mind reader? Maybe people like yourself calling people "douchebag" and telling them to "Go F yourself" might play into why people have left more??

I don't have the answers but, they way you personally attacked Kavachi might be another reason.

I'm wondering if the OP came on spearboard just to show off his catch? He only has 4 posts and all of them are from this fish....

What he said. There is way to little courtesy in here. I respect when people are of a different opinion than me, and I appreciate when they argue for their point of view, but when you simplify your arguement to the lowest for of communication like go **** yourself, well there is really nothing civilized you can meet up with and the downward spiral is set in motion.

C’mon guys, you know better.
SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:49 AM   #20
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Kvetchi was a douche first and deserved a hearty F U .It is also true that that elitist attitude helped kill off a lot of the traffic on this forum.On FB there are tons of groups where both groups get along and quite a few guys willing to help each other better their skills in each.

I don't piss on someone's post unless they knowingly act a fool in the water or out.Maybe if the rest of the world had better management they'd be able to have tank diving.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:26 AM   #21
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

judgemental? its a forum mate. discussion with facts, knowledge, and of course opinion in the mix. To date I’ve steered well clear of the opinion bit, but in this case its close to the bone, bit of broader perspective doesnt go astray. I’m not the one posting footage of a couple of scuba divers gangbanging a snapper. I’m also not the one calling people who contribute a lot to this forum douchebags, or telling em to fk emselves - you're in great company there Megabeast
Old 10-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #22
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
judgemental? its a forum mate. discussion with facts, knowledge, and of course opinion in the mix. To date I’ve steered well clear of the opinion bit, but in this case its close to the bone, bit of broader perspective doesnt go astray. I’m not the one posting footage of a couple of scuba divers gangbanging a snapper. I’m also not the one calling people who contribute a lot to this forum douchebags, or telling em to fk emselves - you're in great company there Megabeast
Re the perspective bit, I HAVE tried spearing on scuba, several times over a span of forty years, and recognise that even with that air supply there are challenges landing big fish, helluva lot of things that can go wrong.

Am also aware of how sustainable it CAN be, but human nature and finite fish stocks being what they are, its a bloody tough call calling it sustainable recreation against the tide of public and legislative opinion, which in most developed nations has already gone against it, despite its long and illustrious history.

I make a living commercial scuba diving incl a lot of pelagic oceanography work, and qualified Instructor who's trained a lot of people to their OWD and specialties certs, I'm constantly having to defend my [breathhold] spearfishing to people who really have no idea what it entails but their minds are very much made up.

IF recreational spearing on scuba WAS my thing, I’d wouldnt be posting it publicly [private FB groups a different thing] on the internet, its just more ammo for those trying to shut you down, more ammo for em to shut the whole sport down
But surviving legislation and weathering public opinion aside, there’s the satisfaction of putting the time and effort in to land a fish like that without tanks
Old 10-21-2017, 06:58 AM   #23
Megabeast

Quote:
The thing is.. the only opinion you've brought to this discussion is that you don't think the OP's 'fish of a lifetime's is worth sharing bc it was taken on Scuba. That doesn't strike you as an asshole thing to say? When someone is proud and excited, and you come along and take a dump on them.. while propping yourself up at the same time bc you can hold your breath. It makes you a prick. You don't need to shit on people. Stop being so dense.. you know what you did was rude.. that's why you got told to 'go F yourself.'

It's ironic watching the person who shat on the OP (AND scuba spearing in general) play the role of victim.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #24
SFM-SharkTales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Some quality fish there. Nice! Have you ever considered cutting down on the number of band and going with bigger band(s)? It cuts down on reload time and interference/entanglements.
Also, how do like the ride on that Parker? Given how far forward the cabin is, this has always intrigued me.
Parker ride is great in moderate seas, with a 3-4' headsea the ride can be a bit rough! We love the boat!

I (Rachel) newer at spearfishing might think about that option, not being as strong as him. John loves the 3 bands and he is super fast loading his gun, and rarely entangled.
SFM-SharkTales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:02 AM   #25
SFM-SharkTales

Here are a few pics from our team work. This fish was shot at the depths of 135-140' that day in Jupiter, Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7493.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	235722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7486.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	235723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7488.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	235724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7500.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	235725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20170823-WA0008.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	235726  

SFM-SharkTales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #26
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Quote:
I am aware of that thanks Sea Archer, and how uncomfortable a fit the two aspects of spearfishing often are, partic on this forum.

I also understand that commercial spearing on scuba remains an established part of the commercial fishing effort in your part of the world - tho long since outlawed in this part of the world - particularly for species that are difficult or impossible to catch on line.

What leads me to post that reply however, is posting and claiming it as a trophy fish, fish of a lifetime et al. There is just no comparison in skill, experience, and personal risk to landing that fish breathhold. And with spearfishing increasingly pushing shit uphill to remain legit, avoid being legislated/hounded out of existence as terrestrial hunting has, well, trophy hunting on scuba just does not help the cause.

Give the fish a fighting chance, and get some great fitness in the bargain - leave the tanks in the boat
The problem is this kavachi: Every sport out there has similar situations where certain people develop some sort of elitism. They think that if they develop some sort of more primitive way to stalk their prey then they are more special than those who do not persue the same prey in the same way.

The fly fisherman look down upon the lure and bait fisherman and wonder how they can consider their inferior methods as anything close to skilful.

The bow hunters look down at the rifle hunters and wonder how they could ever shoot something with a gun

oh and then the traditional bowhunters look at those that use the compound bow as inferior hunters.

its a tired and old argument, but if it makes you feel elite then by all means keep degrading the accomplishments of others. Just remember that while you apnea dive down and shoot a beautiful doggie with a precision speargun with a high handle and a double roller mech, there is some elitist snob degrading your accomplishment and saying you should have done it with a polespear.

Seriously though I think we can admire skill and accomplishment in all it's forms and levels.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #27
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Completely missing the point Sea Archer
Old 10-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #28
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Quote:
Completely missing the point Sea Archer
I could be...let me know how.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #29
jfjf

I do both - not so great at either of them. As I get older and fatter, scuba seems like a better fit.

The two activities are really pretty different. Freediving (especially deep) requires a certain level of athleticism. Emphasis on "requires". There is no substitute for it (although riding a scooter or even dropping weights) can probably expand the practical range for an individual.

Scuba does not necessarily require any unusual physical stamina or strength - although some people scuba dive in conditions that are so rigorous that it absolutely requires both of these attributes.

Both activities require a certain level of mental focus and mind set and without this, a diver is not going to be very good at either activity. But again, they are DIFFERENT.

Scuba SEEMS easy, relaxing and safer - but I have seen some pretty decent freedivers (and have heard accounts of other incidents) where "freedivers" who are actually certified scuba divers, basically have a panic attack while scuba diving under quite benign conditions. It seem bazaar to me that a freediver can hunt at 80 feet with no air, yet seems to freak while breathing from a perfectly good scuba regulator (at 75 feet).

We have to consider that people outside the US have for the most part, been taught that scuba is poaching, cheating and very illegal and it has been that way for generations.

People in the US probably need to try a little more to understand the extreme cultural prejudice that has developed against scuba. There is no doubt that it allows some weak, old fat guy to shoot a fish in relatively deep water, that would require elite freediving skills to even attempt.

On the other hand, the "foreigners" need to have some level of understanding that Mericans have been scuba hunting for decades. It can be sustainable and it is being heavily promoted to help control the invasive and exotic lionfish infestation - so scuba spearing is probably (hopefully) not going away anytime soon.

The personal attacks are probably not necessary.

I view it kinda like a bowler bragging about his 300 score and a bunch of elite marathon runners laughing their asses off. Yet the fact remains that those same runners, probably don't have (for whatever reason) the skills and aptitudes to EVER bowl that well.

Scuba hunting is challenging and fun and requires a DIFFERENT set of skills than freediving - in order to do it at a high level.

I think doing both activities tends to enhance performance in either sport.

I would rather read lighthearted jokes and the presentation of humorous and mocking stereotypes rather than see people being alienated.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #30
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Respect of each other's accomplishment without the name calling is what we need. Just because a person says he disagrees with another's catch, doesn't mean he needs to be told to f off or called a douche. Kavachi gave his opinion without a personal attack.

Agree to disagree without the schoolyard name calling is probably the best way to state opinions.

I personally like the freediving challenge better than tanks also however, I wouldn't shit on another person's catch via tanks. At 135ft the fish would have been out of my limits anyways. I think we can all agree it was a nice fish regardless of the method of take.

Don't take it so personally guys. No need to start the elitist argument again just because another fellow spearo's opinion doesn't agree with your own. It's an old and boring argument.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote