Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2006 Tournament Archives > The Southern Open State Championship 2006

The Southern Open State Championship 2006 Check here for threads about the Southern Open. Links to forms, info, etc.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:52 AM   #1
Mighty Mouse

"First Place Winners" Southern Open

These two guys worked their tails off with only one working scale. Rich Taylor and Jason Delacruz you definitely pull your weight especially after diving the Brick Yard all day on top of it. Great Job!!! All you hard working volunteers at the tournament deserve a big hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6250012 resized.JPG
Views:	739
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	18716  

"If You Ain't Got Time to Go Fishin, Then You Just Ain't Got Time".
Ernie Lee
Mighty Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
RabiSpear
Blake Gaylord

First Place tough guy and Tourney Hero

The first place award for "Tough Guy" goes to Casey Loesch aka SNOOKER, while the tourney hero award nominee is Jerry Guerra, Jr. At about 1130, with a strong start in the tournament, we decided to move onto a another one of Jerry Sr's secret holes. I was in the boat with the Guerra clones sorting out fish, when Casey came up the ladder. He made a noise and said he just hit his knee on the prop as he was getting onto the boat. Jerry said something like get your ass in so we can move. Then Casey said, "Oh, I think it might be bad." I looked up for the first time to see what was going on and it was one of the most gruesome sights I have witnessed in person. As Casey came in to the boat, he bent his leg to sit on the stern, at which point literally his knee opened up revealing muscle, tendons and no small amount of blood. I almost passed out, but Jerry JR was calm and went to work dressing the wound...all while Casey talks to us normally. The tough guy part happened as we headed back 33mi to shore- directly into the seas. Anyway, it turns out that Jerry did a top-notch job of controlling the bleeding on our way back in b/c back at the dock Casey started bleeding like a stuck pig and his hospital room looked like a murder scene. Without the attention from Jerry on the boat, I think it would have been a much different scene.

If you get a chance, drop Casey a line and wish him luck with his recovery. He will know more about the damage tomorrow. Also, keep/get a REALLY good first aid kit b/c you never know when you might need it.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:22 PM   #3
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Re: "First Place Winners" Southern Open

I believe that Jerry jr. was a medic in the service......great guy to have around. Hope Casey is OK........
Screen Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
junior

Damn, that sucks. Hope he heals up and the damage was not too extensive. Was the prop spinning?
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
Rolo
Freediving Spearo

Re: First Place tough guy and Tourney Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabiSpear

If you get a chance, drop Casey a line and wish him luck with his recovery. He will know more about the damage tomorrow. Also, keep/get a REALLY good first aid kit b/c you never know when you might need it.
Sure hope it's not too bad. Good Luck Casey with your recovery brother and hope you're back in the water soon.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:40 PM   #6
inletsurf

You guys did an awesome job. Especially when I was up from the end of the line and having to deal with my drunk ass and fish scattered everywhere.
Seriously, you guys did a great job. Thanks very much!
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:42 PM   #7
Spearchucker

Hey Steve, throw up some pics!
Spearchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy

Hope Casey is alright! Give him our best.

I second what MM said...the volunteers did one helluva job and it was an awesome tournament. I enjoyed myself.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #9
f94gator

Damn, that sounds painful! Hope he's back and killing fish soon!
f94gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:28 AM   #10
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Re: First Place tough guy and Tourney Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabiSpear
The first place award for "Tough Guy" goes to Casey Loesch aka SNOOKER, while the tourney hero award nominee is Jerry Guerra, Jr. At about 1130, with a strong start in the tournament, we decided to move onto a another one of Jerry Sr's secret holes. I was in the boat with the Guerra clones sorting out fish, when Casey came up the ladder. He made a noise and said he just hit his knee on the prop as he was getting onto the boat. Jerry said something like get your ass in so we can move. Then Casey said, "Oh, I think it might be bad." I looked up for the first time to see what was going on and it was one of the most gruesome sights I have witnessed in person. As Casey came in to the boat, he bent his leg to sit on the stern, at which point literally his knee opened up revealing muscle, tendons and no small amount of blood. I almost passed out, but Jerry JR was calm and went to work dressing the wound...all while Casey talks to us normally. The tough guy part happened as we headed back 33mi to shore- directly into the seas. Anyway, it turns out that Jerry did a top-notch job of controlling the bleeding on our way back in b/c back at the dock Casey started bleeding like a stuck pig and his hospital room looked like a murder scene. Without the attention from Jerry on the boat, I think it would have been a much different scene.

Talked to Casey yesterday. For those that know him, like so many people in this sport, Casey is a great guy, welcome aboard my boat anytime.

His knee was cut open bad, and the prop wasn't even turning. We are hoping that his knee heals up in time to do the OMER Hatteras Open at the end of July with us.
Screen Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:04 AM   #11
snooker
Wearer of the Man-kini!!

Send a message via AIM to snooker

I wanted to thank all the guys on the boat, esp. Jerry Guerra Jr for bandaging me up, not getting queasy and having a good first aid kit on the boat. Thanks everybody on here for all the kind words. It's sort of aggravating for different reasons because everybody on the boat had nice stringers and also I've probably gotten in and out of a boat more times than I've tied my shoelaces.

How it happened: (About 11am) We were changing spots and everyone was on board (24' SeaRay Laguna twin Outboards) already. I'm holding onto the ladder after taking one of my fins off and putting it on the boat. A big wave comes and lifts the back of the boat up and I go up as well and then let go to get away and the prop slams down on my knee (THE ENGINE WAS NOT ON). I jump out of the water and look at my knee and knew the day was over. I tell Jerry that I hit my knee bad and he says not to worry because he has bandaged and stitched people up before so we can still dive. I told Jerry, "I don't think you're stitching this up." He turned around and said that the day was over. When I bent my knee, you could put a golf ball in the opening and you could see the tendon. Jerry did a great job of bandaging up the gash and I spent the lovely afternoon in the ER.

Just got an MRI yesterday and they are worried that I cut part of the patella tendon and if so I may have somewhat of a lengthy recovery. If not, I'm in the pool in no time, hopefully. I will find out tomorrow. I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for everybody's concern. And thanks to my buddies for all the calls, yall know who you are. Ok, take spearfishing out of schedule and replace with drinking. Alright, all better.

Here are some pics after the stitches. Took them with my phone so I don't know how they'll look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Knee.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	18852   Click image for larger version

Name:	knee1.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	18853  
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:09 AM   #12
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Doooooode,

That sucks. That's a hell of a gash.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:32 AM   #13
apexpredator
Ace of Spades

Casey sorry to hear about the bum luck. Hope your knee heals up fast. One buit of advise on the drinking....tread lightly....alcohol makes your capilaries fragile and inhibits your bodies ability to clot blood. It also raises the sugars in your blood stream and can make you more suceptible to infection (specially in areas of your body with limited circulation/irrigation...like your knee). I wish you a speedy recovery...Keep us posted on your progress.
"The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise..who spends his days on the mountain and forests..who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst..for the love of nature..to visit the utmost refuge of beast and bird." Pease

Extreme Divers spearfishing club
apexpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #14
inletsurf

Man, sorry to hear that Casey. Hope you recover quickly...
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #15
scubachic
ALL HAIL ME

Send a message via AIM to scubachic Send a message via MSN to scubachic Send a message via Yahoo to scubachic

Get Well Soon!!! But Man Holy Shit Ouch

}<((((*> <----- SPEAR IT!!! I KNOW I DO!!!
scubachic is offline   Reply With Quote