Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 02-27-2020, 12:15 AM   #1
Keysspearoo

Chum for Keys Bluewater

Hey guys,

What kind of chum do you guys recommend that you use that works in the keys for bluewater diving? Should i buy boxes of frozen bait and chunk them up or use a fish i shoot and use it for chum? If so what kind of fish should i shoot for chum or what kind of frozen bait fish should i buy? Also, whats your recommendation on chumming itself? Ive seen a couple of people attach chum bags filled with chunks to their flasher floats or gun floats and it seems like a good idea but it seems like its another thing to get in the way. The thing im trying to achieve is a constant flow of chum, if it is possible. I have tried throwing chunks over before i get in the water for a drift but after the chunks sink or we drift past them, we have no chum. My goal is to bring more fish that like to hang around the bottom of the wrecks like AJs and such up to the midwater, as well as pelagics such as kingfish and wahoo. I have a hanging flasher and although it does attract life, I always see much more life when there is both chum and flashers in the water. Im still new to blue water hunting and want to learn techniques to bringing fish in consistently, so if anyone has any input im all ears.
Keysspearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Re: Chum for Keys Bluewater

The best way that is easiest on the diver and allows you to pay attention is to have a good boat driver who circles around you every 5 minutes and throws a handful of cut bait. That is what we do most of the time. That or the drive just throws me 3 whole herring and I sit there and slowly rip them into thirds letting them go every couple minutes to give a small steady trail.
I personally just use thread herring in boxes and rip it apart. You could also cut it with scissors or a knife. All you need is a steady stream of single pieces. Pilchards will also work very well if you have them.
We have tied a chum bag to the flashers a number of times too. It is more work and gets in the way like you mentioned. We usually do that when it's really windy and hard for the boat to get close to chum and drift away.
But the best way is just have the boat idle up on the side where they can throw chunks and drift away without putting the boat in gear.

This has landed us a good amount of mutton snapper over the years and will keep all species of mackerel coming in and out. Every once in a while you will get bonita, blackfin, and AJ too.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
Behslayer

Re: Chum for Keys Bluewater

one good trick is to use a mini stringer with a T attached to your float or flasher float, you can load up a bunch of baitfish though the eyes and just pull and tear as you go along. easier than a bag.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote