Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #2611
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldomson1 View Post
I shot the gag right on top of the head and spined him. Half of him turned white immediately in the water. He was 30" by the way.

Freedive for Permit. I was just hanging 40' down and 4 of them swam right up to me. I've only shot one on scuba in 20 years.

C
That is weird! But so damn cool.

May have to try that free diving nonsense then
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #2612
Reef_Ranger

Friday July 21st: 7miles West out of Longboat pass vis on top 25'. Cloudy layer on bottom limitied vis to 10'.
Reef_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:09 AM   #2613
dkay

We hit some spots out of Anclote Friday in 70' and got a mixed bag of gags, ARS, scamp, mangos, hogs and yellow tail. Vis was top to bottom which made getting close to the gags challenging. We managed a few but saw many more flipping us the middle fin as they stayed well out of range. Dropped down on a spot in 40' on the way back and found less than 10' vis but still managed to corner a couple nice gags under the ledges. Water temp = warm bath water.
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #2614
Reef_Ranger

Saturday 08/05/2017
7miles West of Annna Maria vis was 15 ft. A little mixed up after the storm still but not too bad.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:20 AM   #2615
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Got out yesterday to 65 fsw, then heading back in to about 52. Viz was so-so, but to be expected. Maybe about 10-20 but some particulate. VERY fishy, but gags were skittish as always and elusive.

The day was a series of highs and lows. 3 things on my boat went tits-up, but nothing serious (other than my fresh water washdown - I love that thing!)

On my first dive I nailed two nice ARS and some hogs, and a nice lionfish. When I got to the boat I handed the shaft with the lion on it to my brother, who is still a novice to spearing. Due to a comedy of errors and inattention, my stringer ended up popping open on its own and dumping all my fish into the water. Then he somehow ended up accidentally losing one of my freedive fins overboard as well. Was unable to retrieve any of the lost items. Frustrating, but we carry on.

Moved into one of my favorite spots in 52 fsw - lots of fish again, tons of baitfish. My brother redeemed himself by finding a HUGE old-school anchor, which my buddy Rhett (aka Trashman) with assistance lifted it up to the boat. While waiting for him to come down with his lift bag I had a HUGE doormat flounder swim right up to me in the sand and lie down, burrowing in. He couldn't have been 2 feet from me. I slowly rose up, got enough distance from him to shoot him (my gun is 60" so I had to get a little ways away) and nailed him - damn what a monster!

Ended the day with a nice mixed bag of spanish mack, ARS, hogs (including some nice ones) and mangos . . . oh, and the flounder!

Snotty and choppy heading out, but flattened coming back. Good day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	234686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0108.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	234687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0109.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	234688  
Old 08-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #2616
Russell stalk

Grey that's an awesome find!! What are you gonna do with that anchor!?!?!?!⚓️⚓️
Russell stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #2617
CuzzA

Looks like it would make a great lawn ornament.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #2618
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Looks like it would make a great lawn ornament.
BINGO - you know me so well

Yup, gonna display it proudly in front of my house, with some accoutrements around it, like a diorama. I figure if someone goes through the hard work to steal it, they deserve it
Old 08-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #2619
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

Sat Aug 12

Had a tripped all planned for the Middle Grounds. Checked all the usual weather sites calling for 2' or less and some 1' or less.

Got to the boat at 6am and loaded up. We started seeing lightning all over Anclote and 3 Rookers. 2 guys were ready to call it off.

So I ran down to Hurricane pass, still covered with rain and lightning. Kept going south to Clearwater pass. There was a small gap in the front of storms and we punched out thru it. Along with 5 other boats with the same idea.

Got past the storms and turned NW towards the Grounds. Only to run headlong into 3' rollers with a few 4' sets mixed in. After 10 miles of tooth pounding waves, I called off the trip to the Grounds. I told the guys and they were fine with my call. We turned south and ran the troughs to Ken Hammer's badass lobster ledges off CW/St Pete.

We hit several ledges on 70-85fsw. Almost top to bottom vis. Not real fishy, we managed to make a day of it. And we managed 1 spiny and 2 slippers. The first slipper was the biggest I've ever seen.

Seas calmed off a bit. We ran the 28 miles back to the dock at 45mph. Back to dock at 4pm.

If you want nice hogs, try St Pete. If you want ARS, go north of Pasco.

C
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1741.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	234812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1744.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	234813  
Old 08-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #2620
Reef_Ranger

Sunday August 13th.
In 60-55 fsw viz was 24'
Seas were 1'-11/2' but laid down in the afternoon.
Lots of nice Mangrove snapper at that depth. Gag we're all pretty short.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #2621
CanyonDiver

Saturday and Sunday 3 miles out of Sarasota on common artificial reefs in 30-45 ft of water. Murky top layer, 25ish foot of viz on the bottom. Wind was around 5 mph. 1 foot seas on Saturday, less than one foot Sunday, strangely Sunday was much more murky near the same spots. Lots of bait holding, decent amount of snapper, spanish mackeral and sheepshead, saw a red grouper and a few gags but all were wayy too small.
CanyonDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #2622
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldomson1 View Post
Sat Aug 12

Had a tripped all planned for the Middle Grounds. Checked all the usual weather sites calling for 2' or less and some 1' or less.

Got to the boat at 6am and loaded up. We started seeing lightning all over Anclote and 3 Rookers. 2 guys were ready to call it off.

So I ran down to Hurricane pass, still covered with rain and lightning. Kept going south to Clearwater pass. There was a small gap in the front of storms and we punched out thru it. Along with 5 other boats with the same idea.

Got past the storms and turned NW towards the Grounds. Only to run headlong into 3' rollers with a few 4' sets mixed in. After 10 miles of tooth pounding waves, I called off the trip to the Grounds. I told the guys and they were fine with my call. We turned south and ran the troughs to Ken Hammer's badass lobster ledges off CW/St Pete.

We hit several ledges on 70-85fsw. Almost top to bottom vis. Not real fishy, we managed to make a day of it. And we managed 1 spiny and 2 slippers. The first slipper was the biggest I've ever seen.

Seas calmed off a bit. We ran the 28 miles back to the dock at 45mph. Back to dock at 4pm.

If you want nice hogs, try St Pete. If you want ARS, go north of Pasco.

C
Nice! Damn, stud mango there on the bottom - wow.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #2623
Reef_Ranger

Saturday 08/19/17. Vis in 40-50fsw 7-9 miles off Bean Point (Anna Maria) was 15-20' . Hogs are around. And larger numbers of decent size mangrove snapper ro 20-22" are available. Gag and red grouper are atill mostly small while the water temp remains so high.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #2624
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Saturday SW of NPR (35-60 feet in Pinellas county). Water temp 90. Viz during slack tide 15-20, but once tide started coming in it was nasty - as if every adult movie theater in NYC emptied their mop water where I was diving

No shootable gags or reds, some 14-16 inch hogs, very few mangos, no lions. Ended the day with some hogs, grunts, a sherpa, and a mango.

Not happy lately with what I've seen in Pinellas - the ledges, while impressive in size, undercut, length, etc., are pretty devoid of life or shootable fish. Only reason we went south was due to weather, or at least the threat of it, offshore west of NPR - should have taken the chance and done it anyways but without radar it is tough to tell.