Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
wlkconsulting
Registered User
 
wlkconsulting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Spring, Texas
Age: 45
Posts: 270
Send a message via Skype™ to wlkconsulting
Port Mansfield Jetty_60 mile beach drive

Anyone ever make the drive down the 60 mile stretch of beach to Port Mansfield Jetty? Looking to spear the Jetty In late June or July. We have a 4wd truck but standard all weather tred...wanting to know the conditions of the path... good, bad, ugly..There enoughf hard pack to not get stuck? Anyone who has done this, perspective appreciated. thanks
wlkconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
geofri
Ectothermic member
 
geofri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 29
Posts: 542
Re: Port Mansfield Jetty_60 mile beach drive

That sounds like fun!

I see tracks and a truck or two on satellite images, so I assume it's doable. Probably best to roll in a convoy though. If I had 4x4 right now I'd consider a road trip down there!
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:53 AM   #3
HOLDFAST
OATH Spearfishing Team
 
HOLDFAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 906
Re: Port Mansfield Jetty_60 mile beach drive

I have, there’s good snapper “other” and loads of unspooked fish! It’s not an easy run! Bring extra food, water, gas! Lots of shark fisherman it a long drive of vis sucks so you have that to also deal with. Bring rods Incase that happens you can atleast fish.
__________________
Rigs & Reef Classic Spearfishing Tournament

www.rigsreefclassicspearfishing.com

https://www.facebook.com/RigsReefClassic/

OATH Spearfishing Team
https://www.facebook.com/OATH-Spearf...1345686630994/





CoOwner
www.gator-gripp.com



Call or Text me anytime 503-298-0592


HOLDFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
wlkconsulting
Registered User
 
wlkconsulting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Spring, Texas
Age: 45
Posts: 270
Send a message via Skype™ to wlkconsulting
Re: Port Mansfield Jetty_60 mile beach drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLDFAST View Post
I have, there’s good snapper “other” and loads of unspooked fish! It’s not an easy run! Bring extra food, water, gas! Lots of shark fisherman it a long drive of vis sucks so you have that to also deal with. Bring rods Incase that happens you can atleast fish.
Thanks alot...ya got that right on all of the above. Hopefully we time it with the weather and wind tools. Using magic seaweed.com and windy.com to look for windows. Last resort is I pay a captain who has agreed to take us for a small fee. If its bad, mabye spi jetty is better.
wlkconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
wlkconsulting
Registered User
 
wlkconsulting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Spring, Texas
Age: 45
Posts: 270
Send a message via Skype™ to wlkconsulting
Re: Port Mansfield Jetty_60 mile beach drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
That sounds like fun!

I see tracks and a truck or two on satellite images, so I assume it's doable. Probably best to roll in a convoy though. If I had 4x4 right now I'd consider a road trip down there!
Yea, it's a trek. Youtube videos with others who have done it. If timed right, it could be worth it.
wlkconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:07 AM   #6
Noeafpj9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: San Antonio
Age: 33
Posts: 6
Re: Port Mansfield Jetty_60 mile beach drive

You are correct on the “if timed right thinking”. If you can head out on a low tide and run the hard sand most of the way, you will be good. If you go during a high tide, you will be running the soft sand the whole way and kill your fuel mileage. We ruined 3 vehicles last time having to run on the hard sand while the waves were slightly rolling in front of us. All the water getting into the engine compartments ruined 2 brand new vehicles and my lifted ram 1500. We wanted to run the soft sand but never would have made it back due to fuel mileage. So lesson learned. Always take plenty of fuel. I would have paid $10 a gallon at that point.
Noeafpj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
wlkconsulting
Registered User
 
wlkconsulting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Spring, Texas
Age: 45
Posts: 270
Send a message via Skype™ to wlkconsulting
Re: Port Mansfield Jetty_60 mile beach drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeafpj9 View Post
You are correct on the “if timed right thinking”. If you can head out on a low tide and run the hard sand most of the way, you will be good. If you go during a high tide, you will be running the soft sand the whole way and kill your fuel mileage. We ruined 3 vehicles last time having to run on the hard sand while the waves were slightly rolling in front of us. All the water getting into the engine compartments ruined 2 brand new vehicles and my lifted ram 1500. We wanted to run the soft sand but never would have made it back due to fuel mileage. So lesson learned. Always take plenty of fuel. I would have paid $10 a gallon at that point.
yikes!! Really apprecieate that insight. was extremely helpful.
wlkconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com