Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #16
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Re: 130 Rob Allen Rollergun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Really interesting. Can’t wait to see the clips.
Can you give more specs about your roller setup on the 82? Was it one roller plus a kicker band?
Would you recommend 14 mm small id bands @ 360% for a Pathos Sniper roller 95?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of my all time faves from Majd:
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #17
Ryang85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Really interesting. Can’t wait to see the clips.
Can you give more specs about your roller setup on the 82? Was it one roller plus a kicker band?
Would you recommend 14 mm small id bands @ 360% for a Pathos Sniper roller 95?

I run a pathos 50 with a roller head and it puts any 60cm band gun to shame. Just a mantis roller with 16mm small ID band at %380. 16mm bands will be better on a roller since initial power is critical.
It nearly matches my pathos 82 in power and accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ryang85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #18
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryang85 View Post
I run a pathos 50 with a roller head and it puts any 60cm band gun to shame. Just a mantis roller with 16mm small ID band at %380. 16mm bands will be better on a roller since initial power is critical.

Thanks. I will give that setup a try once I have worn out these bands.

kodama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #19
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

Real nice reply... I was imagining the whole event in my mind , I'm sure shorter rollers are the way to go, unfortunately longer ones are disappointing to say the least, maybe not all of them though. There're some interesting double rollers around, that probably worth a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I just came back from a local grouper spearfishing trip where I used a gun I made and pool tested 2 years ago. It was an 82cm Pathos where I put in a ballast and a roller kit. In my testing I found that with the roller, I would lose accuracy if I pushed the power up and I settled on a band load that gave me minimal pre-stretch. That thing shot super accurate (3 shots 1 hole at 4 meters) but it lacked power (did not pass the KM penetration test at 5 meters). I also used the best classic setup, which was 2 x 14mm small ID bands at 360% ... same accuracy but much more power (passes the KM penetration test at 5 meters). I also took my Abellan 110 on this trip, and first shot on the reef my shaft got lodged in so hard ... wasted like 30 minutes and 4 dives to pull it out. Decided to go with the roller 82cm setup ... and man I was stoning everything ... I had like 5 or 6 consecutive stone shots. But then I had this long shot on a grouper that was running away and I took a shot that I should not have taken, and was really lucky to land the fish as shaft didn't penetrate fully through the fish. I then switched to the classic 2 x 14mm setup ... and results were even better. I didn't have too much power where my shaft would lodge in the reef, but it was more than enough power to land even some pretty large grouper, plus loading the gun was much quicker. The accuracy I was getting with this 82cm setup was phenomenal ... with the classic 2 banded setup I had more power than I remember having with my old Riffe 120 default factory setup !!! The trip was actually a blast from the past as I have not hunted local grouper in like 20 years. It is pretty incredible how much technology has changed equipment.

So ... rollers certainly are an option, and I will say that the Pathos roller head is probably not one of the good heads (doesn't use bearings) and for sure you will get some performance improvement with a better quality roller. Maybe there are some new roller heads out there that deal with the problem of tail lift with pre-stretch (like the SEATEC), and this would solve the problem of keeping accuracy while pushing power up. Need to try those out. But really, you can't go wrong with the simplicity and power of a classic setup. I will try and put out a video of that 82cm setup in both roller and classic configurations shooting fish ... I was blown away by the performance of both setups and they really confirmed results of my pool testing.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:41 AM   #20
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryang85 View Post

WHERE are you diving that you need a 50cm gun? Is it so dirty that you shoot fish point blank? I cannot picture going diving in such dirty water that I cannot use, at the very least, a 75cm gun!

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #21
Xylophone

That's par for the course in norcal. They shoot in holes a lot up there, the only fish they shoot in the water column are rock fish which are kinda dumb. As I understand it a 90cm is around the max size they hunt with.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #22
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylophone View Post
That's par for the course in norcal. They shoot in holes a lot up there, the only fish they shoot in the water column are rock fish which are kinda dumb. As I understand it a 90cm is around the max size they hunt with.
Yep, that's the truth. My "long" gun for the Mendocino coast is a RA 70. I'm headed there for our annual 10 day family vacation in a couple weeks and will probably use my little Riffe 33" C-0 most if not the whole time.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #23
jersymudsniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
WHERE are you diving that you need a 50cm gun? Is it so dirty that you shoot fish point blank? I cannot picture going diving in such dirty water that I cannot use, at the very least, a 75cm gun!

Mikel
Ha come to new jersey. You either dive in 3 to 5 ft vis or you dont dive. And your shooting thick fish and need punch. Ha ha.
jersymudsniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #24
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
Ha come to new jersey. You either dive in 3 to 5 ft vis or you dont dive. And your shooting thick fish and need punch. Ha ha.
For those conditions I would get a 90 Cyrano. It has a lot of punch with the size of a 60 cm banded gun overal.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:00 AM   #25
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
For those conditions I would get a 90 Cyrano. It has a lot of punch with the size of a 60 cm banded gun overal.
My thoughts exactly. For small guns, pneumatic is the way to go! In my opininion....
Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #26
jersymudsniper

Quote:
I have a 85 salvimar darkside carbon with stc vaccum muzzle. But my new fav is a 3 band 38 midhandle. Way better in poop vis and i can power down and shoot smaller fish in rocks. My 85 airgun will trash the shaft instantly. Even a small roller can power down. My air gun has a power regulator but it wont go from high to low on the fly.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #27
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

After missing a lot of fishes and mauling some more (due to the 130 rollergun shooting low) I decided to change on the boat the configuration and switch the head of my 1000 Ra but it was impossible, th guys of " The diving factory" AKA ROB ALLEN, put the screw of the rollerhead so tight, that is impossible to remove it without the use of a vise or powertools... Another drawback for the roller in that sense...
Old 06-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #28
Marco

Quote:
I have a 85 salvimar darkside carbon with stc vaccum muzzle. But my new fav is a 3 band 38 midhandle. Way better in poop vis and i can power down and shoot smaller fish in rocks. My 85 airgun will trash the shaft instantly. Even a small roller can power down. My air gun has a power regulator but it wont go from high to low on the fly.
If it doesn't goes from high to low just by moving the lever, there's something wrong with your gun.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:56 PM   #29
jersymudsniper

Quote:
If it doesn't goes from high to low just by moving the lever, there's something wrong with your gun.
Goes from low to high while loaded. But not high to low loaded. Once its on high you can flick lever all ya want it will still shoot high power.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:14 AM   #30
Mikel_24

Quote:
Goes from low to high while loaded. But not high to low loaded. Once its on high you can flick lever all ya want it will still shoot high power.
I agree with Marco. The lever is there exactly to allow you to power down your gun to avoid ruining shafts. If it is not working like that, something has to be wrong. Did you contact de manufacturer and see if you have something to say?