Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #61
bmoore
NAUI Inst Cave Trimix

Re: Rebreather's Will Kill You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
This was a real treat of a read, I got caught in the rants.

Anyway, let me know when i can get you my social, make me your beneficiary for your inevitable departure
shoot bro pm me your social security number now and Ill hook you up...LOL
(or steal your identity..)

diving the thing tomorrow..will let you know how it goes..If you don't hear from me..well..it didn't go so well...
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #62
sealark

I think the problem lies in the helium and very low oxygen % you need. I remember a 350 ft heO2 dive in dive school 1966. All I had to do was hookup a light weight shackle into a block. I couldn't pull it down and put the pin in place. Never liked diving with helium after that. Seen several divers die from diving HEO2 rigs in the Navy. USS skylark 67 and Johnson sea link accident. Hey KISS aplies to me anyway here, keep it shallow stupid.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:41 AM   #63
aue-mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
Johnson sea link accident
JSL accident had little to nothing to do with the breathing gas, particularly since as you know they weren't free-swimming divers. Their deaths could have been prevented but the situation was a total FUBAR.
aue-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:06 PM   #64
bmoore
NAUI Inst Cave Trimix

Quote:
Originally Posted by aue-mike View Post
JSL accident had little to nothing to do with the breathing gas, particularly since as you know they weren't free-swimming divers. Their deaths could have been prevented but the situation was a total FUBAR.
They must have been on rebreathers.....
Old 06-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #65
aue-mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
They must have been on rebreathers.....
nope.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #66
sealark

Link and stover were in the after metal compartment breathing at atmosferic pressure. The submersible got fouled in the shipwreck fred t Barey. Two divers were deploid off the USS Tringa. It was to danderous to attemp clearing the JSL. In an over 200 lb mk5 mod 1 rig. The depth was a little over 300 ft. The JSL was finally retrirved. I made a dive to 60 ft to check that the lower compartment was secured. Both perished from hypothermia and or sufocatian. Links body was covered with baralym from trying to heat it. The compartment had been pressurised with intent of a lockout to clear the hangup. The people in the forward plastic bubble survived. I went through diving school with Clayton Link Jr. Class 1966. Only to see him deceased in after chamber of the JSL. 60 ft from the surface.

Last edited by HeadHunter; 06-30-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #67
aue-mike

Quote:
Link and stover were in the after metal compartment breathing at atmosferic pressure. The submersible got fouled in the shipwreck fred t Barey. Two divers were deploid off the USS Tringa. It was to danderous to attemp clearing the JSL. In an over 200 lb mk5 mod 1 rig. The depth was a little over 300 ft. The JSL was finally retrirved. I made a dive to 60 ft to check that the lower compartment was secured. Both perished from hypothermia and or sufocatian. Links body was covered with baralym from trying to heat it. The compartment had been pressurised with intent of a lockout to clear the hangup. The people in the forward plastic bubble survived. I went through diving school with Clayton Link Jr. Class 1666. Only to see him deceased in after chamber of the JSL. 60 ft from the surface.

The rescue was a Charlie Foxtrot. Link and Stover were dressed lightly for the expected short excursion. The unmoused clip in the blind spot snagged a cable, anchoring JSL to the wreck. Once the USN got on scene, they took over. They prevented Link/Stover from conducting a short dive to free the clip, instead insisting SS divers would deal with it. Time was wasted just getting on scene and in position to deploy divers. The high current swung the stage at such an angle they almost killed the diver. They also prevented a 1 ATM suit from being deployed from a Canadian team that likely could have worked better. By the time USN could not affect a rescue, Link/Stover were hypothermic since they were only wearing shorts/t-shirt. Cold temperature also affected CO2 absorbent.
They had to ultimately get a salvage company to get the JSL out of the wreck.

The USCG investigation report is online and very sobering/sad.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #68
sealark

There never was a one atmosphere on site I do remember a sat fly away navy team was thaught about but jsl was resqued. it would have been as useless as the mode 1 dress. The divers that made the attempt were never in any danger of swinging around. A research ship came on site with a camera and unhooked the jsl with a grapnel hook. Actually it came unhung easily. I was onboard for the entire operation chief Bosworth was the master Diver. We were on site and moored within hours of being notified the Tringa was in key west. I don't know what this has to do with rebreathers. I just don't like helium seen to many divers for whatever reason die using it. Sorry for derailing the post.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:45 PM   #69
aue-mike

Quote:
There never was a one atmosphere on site I do remember a sat fly away navy team was thaught about but jsl was resqued. it would have been as useless as the mode 1 dress. The divers that made the attempt were never in any danger of swinging around. A research ship came on site with a camera and unhooked the jsl with a grapnel hook. Actually it came unhung easily. I was onboard for the entire operation chief Bosworth was the master Diver. We were on site and moored within hours of being notified the Tringa was in key west. I don't know what this has to do with rebreathers. I just don't like helium seen to many divers for whatever reason die using it. Sorry for derailing the post.

Phil Nuytten of Nuytco (NewtSuit) apparently had a 1 ATM suit in a container ready to get to KW but was denied access to the scene by USN. This was from an old conversation on the subject.

http://www.psubs.org/accidents/johnsealink.pdf

P.27 describes the issues with the USN divers. Someone else that was on the scene described it more “vividly” than described in the report.

Nothing to do with rebreathers, but still an interesting and unfortunate event nonetheless. Appreciate your recollections on it.

Gas is gas. I know of a lot of divers that died due to deep air.
Dive safe.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #70
PigStikr
The Stalker

Seem to remember there have been divers that hooked the argon bottle to the oxygen line and died as a result. Is that even possible?
Old 06-30-2019, 07:39 AM   #71
aue-mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigStikr View Post
Seem to remember there have been divers that hooked the argon bottle to the oxygen line and died as a result. Is that even possible?
Highly, highly, highly unlikely for most rebreather configurations. One of the common “failures” is divers not turning on oxygen bottle before diving, and then going hypoxic.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #72
sealark

In my time, never heard of argon in diving also never seen an argon bottle on any dive sight to get accidently mixed. I was responsible for gas mixing on 3 ASRs and shore duty as a diver.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:49 AM   #73
aue-mike

Quote:
In my time, never heard of argon in diving also never seen an argon bottle on any dive sight to get accidently mixed. I was responsible for gas mixing on 3 ASRs and shore duty as a diver.

Not used in your types of operations, but argon is used as a suit inflation gas (instead of air) in cold water as it is more efficient at retaining heat. No real benefit unless very cold water, and with heated undergarments now it’s likely used even less frequently now.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #74
bmoore
NAUI Inst Cave Trimix

Diving a rebreather is like any other type of diving. It can be done safely or dangerously.

The majority of statistics quoted were "pilot" error. People forgetting to cut the unit on...forgetting to turn on on the 02 bottle. I read where one guy died and they found out he was stoned...(smoking pot) before entering the water. He may have been the one that forgot to turn on his 02 bottle. Darwinism at its finest.

i have had a close call myself..didnt change out the scrubbing material prior to diving. Rebreathed C02 at 210 feet. Bailed out...lesson learned. We learn by failures..not successes. (That is assuming we survive) I changed my behavior..Fresh scrubbing material put in before each days diving. I "learned". Since then no problems whatsoever. Could the thing fail on me? Sure...could lightening strike me from the heavens? Absolutely. Can helldivers make 200+ foot dives on air with a single 80? They do it all the time. Some for years.

Stating using a particular piece of gear will kill you is just not realistic. My particular rebreather runs through 55 separate tests..takes over three minutes, before it will even cut on and let you use it. If it fails one..its a no go and Im diving open circuit.

Rebreathers are not for everyone. It takes discipline and a commitment to use the things safely. But the advantages outweigh the risks in my opinion.

"What do we say to the god of death? Not today..."

Last edited by bmoore; 07-03-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #75
bmoore
NAUI Inst Cave Trimix

Dove it yesterday...still among the living...