Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #1
popgun pete

Sharp blade style spearfishing tips

Many years ago blade type spearfishing spear tips were available that did more than skewer the prey (e.g. the Undersee cast steel bladed (4) “Mako” and (2) “Cutlass”, the Sampson 3 blade triple flopper tip), they created more structural damage on arrival that incapacitated the fish, especially when blasted by guns with significant firepower. These tips have become only a memory for some in a world of tricuts, quads and pencil point tips, but these archery tips look like they could hand out more damage if fitted to a spear. The fish may sustain battle damage which may make photography inadvisable after capture (wrt the image of the sport to the Public at large), but you (and others) get to eat the fish which is the main goal of the hunting exercise.

https://www.newfrog.com/es/product/4...ge_recommended
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tips d.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	241046   Click image for larger version

Name:	tips a.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	241047   Click image for larger version

Name:	tips c.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	241048   Click image for larger version

Name:	tips b.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	241049  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Sharp blade style spearfishing tips

These tips present some intriguing possibilities for spin stabilized projectiles in underwater flight.
https://www.newfrog.com/es/product/4...ge_recommended
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tip spin b.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	241050   Click image for larger version

Name:	tip spin a.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	241051  
Old 12-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
kodama

You would need a shaft without any features sticking out like shark fins or flopper etc. otherwise you would be loosing significant energy in overcoming the drag since you are moving water sideways.

Well I guess you would be loosing quite a bit of energy anyway in just having the shaft rotate.

For hunting relatively small reef fish in the Mediterranean I certainly prefer the smallest hole possible.
I think shot placement is the deciding factor for the mortality of a shot.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
kodama

But they do look bad ass. I think Rambo would use them if he ever tried spearfishing.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:09 PM   #5
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
You would need a shaft without any features sticking out like shark fins or flopper etc. otherwise you would be loosing significant energy in overcoming the drag since you are moving water sideways.

Well I guess you would be loosing quite a bit of energy anyway in just having the shaft rotate.

For hunting relatively small reef fish in the Mediterranean I certainly prefer the smallest hole possible.
I think shot placement is the deciding factor for the mortality of a shot.
Shot placement is of course important, but I have used powerful guns with "Mako" tips honed to razor sharp that have accounted for many fish, however my supply of "Mako" tips has ran out and I only have one or two left. If you hit a rock then they are destroyed. Being cast steel they rust out if not maintained and an oilstone keeps the cuttings edges very sharp. I have ordered some of these Asian tips as I have sufficient gun power to throw some away on spinning the shaft. Slide rings are necessary as otherwise the line twists and shark fin tabs are not useful in this context. Using 3/8” shafts which are jerked from the gun, so two hands are needed for the shot, even on the ballasted guns. When I started spearfishing everyone used "Mako" tips from Undersee; euroguns with a few notable exceptions were deemed to be too weak. Most guns were powered by 5/16" (doubles) or 3/4" bands (singles or doubles), big block V8 engines ruled the Earth and it was open slather on all species as they had yet to be depleted. Half inch rubber was deemed to be handspear rubber except for the shortest of guns.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Undersee Mako cast steel quad blade tips.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	241057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sampson gun tip.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	241058  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-27-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: removed capital F in If
Old 12-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #6
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112946260509

Dimensions on these seem small.If the OD was more 15 to 20 mm and had a 6mm or 5/16 female end I'd snap up a few just to try.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #7
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112946260509

Dimensions on these seem small.If the OD was more 15 to 20 mm and had a 6mm or 5/16 female end I'd snap up a few just to try.
For 5 bucks, which is nothing, I thought it was well worth buying them, plus you get 4 tips for 5 dollars and shipping is 2 dollars which is peanuts!
Old 12-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

You got me looking,thanks.These have a bigger radius,all stainless construction but are close to 10 bucks each.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/85...tter-broadhead

I'd need to source an adapter male to female.

I pay about 25 bucks delivered for the JBL 845s I normally use freeshafting so it would be less than those.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
You got me looking,thanks.These have a bigger radius,all stainless construction but are close to 10 bucks each.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/85...tter-broadhead

I'd need to source an adapter male to female.

I pay about 25 bucks delivered for the JBL 845s I normally use freeshafting so it would be less than those.
The Asian website has those as well and many variations on the same theme, but just be aware that any slight blade tilt and those arrowhead tips will steer the shot, so you need to keep an eye on them for damage of any sort. However they will do a good job if you have the gun power to match as the blades will slice vital body structures, but may deflect on bone, hence need to check the blades out once you rip or cut them free.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #10
baitball

If you are looking into converting broadheads into speartip application then look at Bass pros version of the g5 montec it's called the blackout toxic fixed blade. Much cheaper. . It's basically the same head without the trocar tip and replaceable blades. It can be sharpened on a flat stone. I use them bow hunting and the are the bees knees. muzzy and Thunderhead is another good choice
baitball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #11
dr.ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Shot placement is of course important, but I have used powerful guns with "Mako" tips honed to razor sharp that have accounted for many fish, however my supply of "Mako" tips has ran out and I only have one or two left. If you hit a rock then they are destroyed. Being cast steel they rust out if not maintained and an oilstone keeps the cuttings edges very sharp. I have ordered some of these Asian tips as I have sufficient gun power to throw some away on spinning the shaft. Slide rings are necessary as otherwise the line twists and shark fin tabs are not useful in this context. Using 3/8” shafts which are jerked from the gun, so two hands are needed for the shot, even on the ballasted guns. When I started spearfishing everyone used "Mako" tips from Undersee; euroguns with a few notable exceptions were deemed to be too weak. Most guns were powered by 5/16" (doubles) or 3/4" bands (singles or doubles), big block V8 engines ruled the Earth and it was open slather on all species as they had yet to be depleted. Half inch rubber was deemed to be handspear rubber except for the shortest of guns.
Oh the memories! Still have one. Stayed a few Strippers. Remember the Aussie Sea Hornet?
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #12
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ed View Post
Oh the memories! Still have one. Stayed a few Strippers. Remember the Aussie Sea Hornet?
I sure do as many of my light to medium duty guns are Sea Hornet and Biller guns. However I should mention Patco who supply broad blade tips. Unfortunately these tips don't survive encounters with rocks and an unwritten law of spearfishing is that such tips seek out the only rock for 20 yards when you miss. Deep water and deep sand are OK, but hidden rocks can be further down and rolling forwards on a shot it can go down reasonably deep into a sandy bottom if it is within gun striking range, i.e. spear still moving at high velocity.

Those with long memories will recognize the "Aquacraft/Bandito" Lionel Long handle.

http://patcoinc.com/aquaguns/aquaguns.html

http://patcoinc.com/aquaguns/gun_accessories.html

http://patcoinc.com/aquaguns/bh2.html

The smaller blade width cast steel fin tips such as the old "Mako" tip don't suffer bent blades, but to keep their sharp cutting edges need to be made of hard stuff and tend to be brittle on rocks, not unsurprisingly. Fish tend to hang around rocks or open water predators swing in to harvest the lesser life in the food chain that seek out the protection of underwater structure, so there are always tip hazards within shooting range near such structures. Oil Rig legs don't do tips much good either, so one always needs access to replacement ammo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BH2_LG.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	241084   Click image for larger version

Name:	AG-2 detail.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	241085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jaime.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	241086  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-29-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:08 AM   #13
Mikel_24

Patco guns... slightly negative to prevent float away... Seems like they are meant for scuba spearfishing, right?
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:32 AM   #14
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Patco guns... slightly negative to prevent float away... Seems like they are meant for scuba spearfishing, right?
I don't own one, but I do have an old stainless steel "Bandito" with blue plastic parts which is basically the same gun (different muzzle though), but it is a short gun and is no floater. Depends on the thickness of the tubes and if they are sealed, and of course the tube length for the volume. My Biller and Sea Hornet stainless steel tube guns float after the shot, just! As these Patco guns are described as slightly negative they would be OK for scuba use, but don't forget for years spearfishermen used tube guns that don't float such as Swimaster/Voit/JBL models that had flooding barrels. The muzzle looks a bit heavy and the cocking stock probably floods, hence that may tip the balance towards sinking.

Last edited by popgun pete; 01-02-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:58 AM   #15
popgun pete

As luck would have it here is a "new old stock" Undersee MAKO spear tip! But the seller wants 65 bucks for it!
The flash chrome plating has come off and it needs a touch of an oilstone to sharpen those four blades. Moisture in the air has done for the plating over the many decades of storage.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-...53.m1438.l2649

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-11-2019 at 02:23 PM.