Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #16
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Re: Another diver death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Mori did mention the brand and model of gun, but I purposely left that out because I didn't want to turn this into a fight over which brand was better. As you said, it could happen with any brand, and I'm not willing to bet that my brand is immune.
Very true.

I don't know of a mech out there that hasn't misfired once or twice. Not always due to parts breaking. Just normal wear, corrosion, or even a couple grains of sand in the mech can cause a gun to go off.

Going back to the medical side of it, you'd be amazed how little of a knock to the ches can kill you if you get hit in the right spot. Even a single band has enough power if it thumps you that it can cause your heart to skip a beat or even stop.

Things I try not to think about when I'm chest loading.
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #17
Captn Ron
Long Beach Neptune

Picked up a new wetsuit from Don at M & B today. He told me the story about Harley Kim. Came here and did a search. What a tragedy. I guess I'll think twice about having a loaded gun on board from now on.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
Ryan J
firmly embedded member

That sucks! I always am cognizant of loaded guns, I have that fear of being whacked by either end.
Ryan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
nilsonov

Wouldn't the effect be just about the same in the water, given that when unloading it the butt is already on your stomach?
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote